Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Sharp Dressed Man - Beer Bottle Solo?!

Sharp Dressed Man - Beer Bottle Solo?!

I went and saw my buddy's 3-piece cover band rehearse saturday and I was blown away by their guitar player/singer. He said he has been playing 20 years and it certainly showed. Anyway they cracked out about 15 songs all of which were played near perfect. But it was the performance of Sharp Dressed Man(zztop) that was just insane.. I was wondering why he was saving his beer bottles next to him on stage lol.. He played two entire solos with the bottles! I know I know.. It sounds cheesy but it really wasnt because he pulled it off flawlessly. When the solo was complete he just dropped the bottle and kept on playing and singing like a mad man. I was considering giving up guitar playing at that point . I thought that would be perfect for a packed bar of people. They would eat it up big time. Perty nifty in my humble opinion. I suppose I'm kinda easily amused . I checked out the tab and the solos were only 2 string solos with alot of slides so its not exactly the toughest solo in the world but it was all in the performance and stage presence. Good stuff.

Slide can be deceptively tricky :P Mind you I've only tried it with a beer bottle also (rather than a nice Dunlop slide or something). It can also sound absolutely sick!

Good to see someone make good use of 20 years of playing, I met a guy who'd been playing for 20 years and he mostly still just played riffs; he could play really fast but it was incredibly sloppy, seemed like a lot of wasted time to me. Of course he impressed the non-guitar players so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

-Dan
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

I had a similar experience when I went to a pub in canada. I saw a duo of players playing all sorts of great stuff seemingly perfectly. They played stuff like john melloncamp and sweet home alabama by skynard...sort of funny choices considering this was canada and an irish pub, but anyways, they did the most amazing cover of 'Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits, I'd swear it was better than the original. The lead guitarist (They were both playing acoustic but he must have had a effects processor or something for slight distortion) played the solo using a tea cup. He said that he couldn't play with a real slide at all if he tried, and could only play with a cup instead.

I also heard Jimi Hendrix used a Zippo lighter on some of the recordings...

Have you guys ever heard of Eric Sardinas ? He plays a Dobro through distorted Rivera amps, and plays some mean blues-rock ( he also is signed to Vai´s Favorite Nations label )
    I saw him opening up for Vai in Atlanta 1999... he rocked big time, great entertainer.
    He at one point opened a bottle of beer, put his thumb onto the neck ( thereby temporarily closing the bottle again ), played a wild slide solo, and in between, he lifted hsi thumb so beer was shooting out. I guess you can imagine what that looked like.
    Nice little show-effect
    As Larry said, some people used Zippos. I heard Hendrix used one to record the slide-parts in the "All Along The Watchtower" solo.
    Eddie Van Halen used sliding as a weird sound-effect on "Intruders" ( "Diver Down" )... he used a beer can to slide up and down on the strings...
    Eric

Gary Moore often uses a screwdriver on his recordings.

hey eric,

i saw eric sardinas at a musikmeyer dealers fair. he was totally unknown back then - unfortunately he isn't really "known" today as well - probably because his cd is not even half as good as his live shows.
    you really have to see this guy playing to believe it!! he did that same beer bottle shaking/playing that you mentioned. that was just awesome! that huge longhaired tatooed muscleguy jumped on a table between the audience and kept playing spreading that beer everywhere. just pure rock'n'roll.
    i'm still get goosebumps writing about it !

Oh yeah! Eric Sardinas is great! I've seen him twice, and keep waiting for him to get back to the midwest so I can see him again. I have his cd's and they really don't compare to his live shows. I loved the beer bottle bit. The girls dancing really went nuts over that.

Can't wait to see him again. Hopefully at a venue with a larger, more appreciative audience.

LOL, I have heard this so often ( that Sardinas CDs aren´t comparable to his live-shows ). I agree... there´s way more energy, vibe and entertainment when you see him play live.
    Great player though, and a very funny guy... he´s cool
    Eric

This weekend I got together with a bunch of musicians at some birthday gathering at a local studio. I have never been demoralised hehe. I was supposed to get up there and play a couple tunes that I can play pretty well but there was no way on earth I was following any of those guys so I chickened out . One thing that was really cool was one of the guitar players brought this mouth box thing with a tube attached to it that allowed him form the sounds of his guitar with his mouth. He used it for a Hendrix tune. Forgot which one I cant uhh remember . Anyone know what that thing was called? I've heard that sound in some other songs before but didnt realise the sounds were being changed with the players mouth, thought it was just a type of wah pedal or something.

hol0

Talking Talk Box

Intro to Living On A Prayer (Bon Jovi), Solo to Can't get this stuff no more (Van Halen), Solo to Keep Talking (Pink Floyd).
    Great sound. The tool is called a Talk Box.
    Mark Hitchen

Cool thanks man. I asked the guy who was playing what it was but even though he was able to blaze through a bunch of extremely difficult tunes he was so hammered I couldnt understand anything he was saying lol...

If you wanna talk awesome sliders I think George Thorogood is really awesome. I seen him live once and he totally rocked with the slide. Not in the sense of flashy stuff but he was just awesome technically with it.