Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoking effects playing ? Who else ?

Hey guys, I smoke, and quite a bit I might add, and to tell you the truth smoking or not doesnt really affect my playing. But I remember years ago when i had just started smoking, cigarettes were too hard for me so i would sorta get the shakes.

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    nobody's mentioned slash yet! he smokes while he's playing all the time! doubt it helps though, its probably 'just for the look' or something, it always makes me wonder how he avoids setting his hair on fire anyway yeah, smoking definately takes away some control of the fingers, best to keep it seperate from playing i reacon, unless youre in a seedy jazz club or something..
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

Smoke will affect your health, but there are a lot of great players that smoke. Shawn Lane smoked a lot (that is probably what killed him), but it didn't seem to have much of a negative impact on his playing, or finger control.

I know this is not PC, but IMO a lot of the greatest bands wrote and recorded their best stuff while they were stoned out of their minds. Once they cleaned up, they started to sound lame.

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    Originally posted by Oceano
    I know this is not PC, but IMO a lot of the greatest bands wrote and recorded their best stuff while they were stoned out of their minds. Once they cleaned up, they started to sound lame.
    oceano, that is so true! all of my best songs were the product of a wasted jam this thread has gone totally off topic hasnt it.. oh well

but remember, drugs are bad children, just say no
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

.....If you were to walk into my "den", while I'm practicing, you'd think the freakin' house was on fire !!
    Yes, I smokes' a bit. I actually was a non-smoker when I went to music school or should I say a reformed smoker. The cigs are a distraction for me while I'm practicing. I can also tell you that they have an effect on my circulation. It's COLD around here, this time of year and my fingertips will get numb quickly, much more so than when I wasn't smoking !

....it's, almost enough to make me quit. Then I'd have to give up drinking, as well and god knows what else...........it's a domino effect, really and I JUST CAN'T TAKE THAT KIND OF STRESS *!! ...........time for a smoke

mjo,

What you say about circulation is correct !

My hands take ages to warm up !

F*** this ! I'm gonna quit !

Daz

Good on ya' G'Luck.
    Could you be there?
    'Cause I'm the one
    who waits for you...
    Or are you Unforgiven II?

Quote Originally Posted by eastwood View Post
    I have noticed this......who else has ?

If I lay off the ciggies before / during practise / playing / rehearsing I find I play much, much better !

I tend to have more control over my left and right hands.

I think its because once you have had a good old ciggie....it ups your blood pressure and gives you the 'shakes'.

Is it me going mad.....or does anyone else think the same ?

Good incentive to quit smoking too !

Daz
    Its very harmful for a player who plays. It can decrease your stamina and it can create problem to take breath. So a player should not be smoke cigarettes.

Nicotine is bad for you. But using the vapor cigarettes is less bad than tobacco. You get the nicotine but not the other bad stuff like tar and no second hand smoke.

When I used to smoke cigarettes and practiced the guitar, I would light up a cigarette, take a puff, put it in the ashtray, then start practicing again. I would usually stop practicing to take the last puff before putting the cigarette out. With the vapor stick, take one puff and put it down. It doesn't continue to burn. Haven't had a cigarette in 8 months. PLUS, it's a LOT cheaper.