Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bad Habits when playing guitar.

Not warming up before practicing chops or difficult passages is my worst habit. Coz' i tend to cramp my muscles every 5 minutes. The John Petrucci's Rock Discipline warm up seems to work.. BTW did any of u guys saw the 2nd part of DT live in Budokan DVD? There's this one section in the DVD where John Petrucci was holding this 'stick' thingy and said "this is not what it looks like" and then start rubbin' his arm with it.. I think i'm gonna get me one of those.. Oh yeah, one more thing, I drool when i'm playing fast stuff.. hehe.. really embarassing..
    no scale, no modes, its the sounds that matters..

You are talking about when he is using a vibrator on his forearm? LOL I thought it was pretty hilarious although those things do work (I swear I don't own one lol)

-Jorge
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Warming up

I always forget to warm up, no patience. Always end up with cramped hands if I don't warm up.

When I first started playing guitar I used alternate on every string but I made a habbit of starting a new string with a downstroke cuz I didnt feel right starting a new string with an upstroke and I got really fast with ascending scales cuz it was sweep picking and there was a funny space in between every string descending and it took a long time to figure out why it wasnt accurate - try down up down/down up down/.......... descending a 3 note per string scale - its impossible to do that accuratly.

Sweep vs. alternate

Sweep picking ultimately can be just as fast as alternate but you have to compensate for the string changes. Sweep picking is really a mis-leading term because it does involve alternate picking and you mainly "sweep" when changing strings.

It's all good, there is no wrong way to play in my book. Every one has a different method. Just for laughs I spent an entire month just using upstrokes and my alternate picking improved.

Sweep picking is really a mis-leading term because it does involve alternate picking and you mainly "sweep" when changing strings
    Guess that's why they mainly call it economy picking these days.

Hell Joey.. one month of upstrokes!! Respect!! It definately helps with alternativ picking.. In a normal playing situation i'd say 60-80% of all strokes are downstrokes, so upstrokes come a bit short. If praticed seperatly you can make up for it and get alternating to a higher level.
    Cool Joey - as well as your pic!

Tremonti Wannabe
    lots of people are talking about putting their thumb onto the fretboard... and I think its not bad because Eric Clapton does it in "tears in heaven" however i have a question. Tremonti puts his thumb at the bottom of his neck while playing the solo... can anyone tell me why? is it easier to play that way? or is it just his style?

Easier

Quote Originally Posted by spiderd
    lots of people are talking about putting their thumb onto the fretboard... and I think its not bad because Eric Clapton does it in "tears in heaven" however i have a question. Tremonti puts his thumb at the bottom of his neck while playing the solo... can anyone tell me why? is it easier to play that way? or is it just his style?
    It is easier and safer to bend strings with some sort of grip. Also, players like Chet Atikns, Ted Green, Tal Farlow, and Lenny Breau fingered chords with the thumb to gain more mobility with other fingers. There are some advantages for specific needs.

It is in fact easier to bend and get more leverage with the thumb around the neck, but the 'classical' grip typically leads to better accuracy and wider stretching. This is generally speaking, of course, and there are people whose thumbs are just too big to fit behind the neck, but for rock/metal shredding the thumb-over can be tiring and won't let you play some of the licks that could be done with wider stretching. Pay attention to Tremonti's live videos and the recordings floating around - he says what he wants to say, but he's not the cleanest or most... refined of players, in terms of technique. Now, if you want to play with more bends and wiggles, or if you do need to thumb chords, by all means put the thumb over the neck, but for speed (and comfort over extended playing) go for the thumb-behind position. The approach I've taken is keeping my thumb changing positions about as often as the fretting fingers, so that I can have the advantages of the other two - I don't know of too many other people who don't keep their thumb more or less anchored, because it's talked about so rarely, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has caught on to this as it makes a world of difference.

Jeff
    Last edited by TheJeffinator; 06-18-2006 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Hit Return button too quickly

Registered Crutmauler
    I'd say my bad habits are all of the above.

From post 1 to post 70 and beyond.