Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bad Habits when playing guitar.

Sitting on the edge of the seat... I'll try that, thanks Eric

Practicing NOT looking at the fretboard

Does anyone have a problem with this? Once I learn a piece (pick it out by ear) I have to consciously remind myself to stand up and try to play it without looking. This makes it easier to memorize, as well as makes it easier for your fingers to get intimately familiar with the fretboard. When I first started playing (about 18 yrs ago) I couldn't get comfortable with the fret board because I kept picturing the keyboard as I played the notes. Forcing myself to play "blind" really helped me get comfortable (mental image) of the notes on the fret board. It's helped a lot in doing runs, scales, apreggios, etc.

Pooquey

I tend to fing you have a different view of the neck when standing up.

Sitting down you tend to get more of a 'plan view' standing up you tend to be looking at the edge.

I have noticed that I lift the guitar with my right hip a bit to give me the 'plan view' effect when standing.

The only time when I DONT play standing is when I'm in a music shop or pratting about with my acoustic.

Daz

I know it's a bit of an old thread, but I put off posting for too long, and I think it's a really relevant topic, so why not:

My two main habits are completely torturing the whammy at any available opportunity and trying to progress too fast. The first comes about because I look for as many ways to play something as possible, and if one involves one fret on one string while trying to keep perfect intonation, then so be it. I also experiment with microtonal scales, and since it's damn near impossible to set up different tunings and go back in a reasonable amount of time, I make good use of the vibrato arm. I'm not entirely sure where the second one came about. I don't end up playing sloppily because of it, but it slows me down when I have to move back a few bpm because I'm not satisfied with how it sounds. For some reason, when I first started out, I seemed to have this 'natural' speed, so rather than having to build speed, I kinda 'discovered' it in myself, but after playing things that are roughly as challenging as a 1-2-3-4 pattern in 16th notes around 192, I kinda have to build speed, and considering my speed tripled over a short period of time (due to having speed already...'built in') I get thrown off when I have to progress slower. I concentrate on getting faster while still playing cleanly and precisely, but I guess I bite off more than what's on my plate.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

Hmm whats wrong with economy picking all the time? ive been playing 9 months and i do it all the time ie. alternate pick on same string and up stroke for going up a string and downstroke for going down a string etc. I just do what comes naturally which is most of the time economy picking.

Im self taught so far and bad habits that i know of are very poor muting technique i play on clean all the time. Most of this muting problem comes from my right hand my left hand technique is ok for the level am at so far. Another bad habit was to wait till 2 weeks ago before learning to finger pick. Ive just learned tears in heaven and stairway. They were handy enough to learn just took me a bit longer because i was making sure i was using the right fingers and not just my thumb and index.

Biggest bad habit is not using a metronome and as a result i cant play in time. Im looking for a lessons atm so im just gonna wait till then and get my teacher to show me how to play in time/how to use a metronome properly.

The only problem with economy picking is the people who do it wrong. If you're good at it, and you can play in time with economy picking, then there's no problem. As far as the metronome, it's very straightforward - you can e-mail or pm me if there's a specific question, or if you just want the basics.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

Well i just said i cant play in time but i dont think ive any problem with economy picking .

With metronome ya guess im looking for basics, i know the divisions of time etc but the only thing i used a metronome for so far is just 1234 chromatic exercises etc thats easy enough cos if you play 16th notes you just play 1234 for each beat and then play the next string for the next beat. After that im not really clear how to use them like for a song or a riff/lick where im not gonna be counting each 4 notes that i play cos the riffs will be changing strings and its not really practical to count 4 notes to the beat or maybe i just have to get used to it?

On another note while im here is there anything on the net about learning how to incoporate muting strums into your playing to add that percussion feel i guess. I can play exact same thing as my friend but because of his use of muted strums (left hand and right hand, right hand to stop chord dead) he sounds alot better. Im guessing its a thing you just pickup like how to strum a rhythm?

Playing in time with economy picking was for me as hard as economy picking itself, if not harder. That's definitely something to work on. As far as riffs and metronomes go, it helps to learn patterns that aren't 4NPS and play those in 16th notes - pentatonics, 3NPS scales, etc. That'll just take practice. Also, Eric Vandenberg's transcription of Paganini's 'Moto Perpetuo' is a great way to practice playing in time - it has 1NPS arps, different numbers of notes per string, and best of all it's straight 16ths -

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/65

And for the muted strums, just treat dead strums as chords. Pretend you voice them by not letting anyone hear them. If that's the problem, there's your solution. If not then you'll just have to post again & clarify. There's really not much to them, you just have to be able to mute strings and stick them in there some place.

Rock On,
    The Jeffinator

Blues/Shred Area corner Progressive st Rock City
    After my long hour of practice, I always have this urge to wash my hands wich is sooo bad coz as they were sayin, it will make my hands trembling excessively... occasionally I have that "trembling" but not always... my oldman says it will take it's toll eventually so I'm really controlling myself not to wash my hands after practice. poblem is I always have this itch everytime i see my guitar to pick it up and practice some scales and exercises w/c usually happens before taking a bath... really bad...
    "You have a blue guitar, you don't play things as they are"

Ya ive been learning Paganini's 'Moto Perpetuo' for the last week have the first half down full speed working on the 2nd half atm. This is without a metronome, ill try using a metronome so ill have to count out each 4 notes i pick per beat? Guess ill be slowing right down to be counting the notes.

And for the muted strums i know how to do them its the stick them in some place i have a problem with. Like i said in the last post i guess its something you pick up eventually like how you first pickup what strumming patterns to use.

two bad habits i have ... almost shy to mention

1. i tend to play mindlessly, so even though i'm on key etc i don't listen to where my ears tell me to go so i actually have to concentrate to do that very often i get to loose myself again and again and end up fiddling around stupid stuff ... jees that sucks

2. playing sitting down with guitar on feet + bad back posture, i am working on that now and even though i'm still sitting my guitar is now hanging at the same exact place where it is when standing.

1 is bad ... very bad ... i really hate admitting i do that actually but maybe admitting publicly will help me further work on it.

who knows...
    Edwin Land: Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Laiho's heir guitarist wild_child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe34
    Hmm whats wrong with economy picking all the time? ive been playing 9 months and i do it all the time ie. alternate pick on same string and up stroke for going up a string and downstroke for going down a string etc.
    this seems to be a common misconception with what economy picking is, or maybe you just didn't explain it too well. Economy picking is NOT picking down to move to the string below or up to move to the string above necessarily. Economy picking is picking in the direction of the string you will pick next so long as it is the opposite direction of the following picking motion assuming you are staying on the adjacent string to play the next note.

i made a litte tab with picking directions to explain what i mean. it uses economy where efficient, and alternate picking where it is not practical:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Remember, it's all good, everything goes and there ain't no damned rules or boundaries. So get off! Tear it a fresh ***, tear it hard, rip gaping holes in it! Make tracks, leave marks!

"forever stronger than all" - Dimebag Darrell

I try not to think of them as Bad Habits, but good practicing points... Anyway, I have a problem with memorizing songs- I just can't! This is weird because with non guitar stuff I have a really good memory

My bad habits? Plenty I'm sure!

One for sure is practicing without guidance or direction. Discovering this site and Eric V.'s workout articles has fixed that!

The one that really bothers me, not have a reportiore of songs I can perform in front of others. My plan, to perfect 1 or 2 completely before adding new ones.

The journey continues...

When i first started self teaching myself, i played on one string only and all downstroked. I dont know how i played some of the songs i did as i got better with all downstrokes and actually pulled it off but i got into the habbit and precious of alternate picking. I also had a bad habbit of holding the pick too deep and actually hitting the body of my guitar while picking in between strings, lol.
    {~-=I am the Lizard King, I can do anything-=~} (R.I.P Jim)