Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

I think what you're talking about is the Iron Maiden sorta gallop rhythm. Just listen to Maiden and you'll pick up the rhythm.

As to your muting question, you need to turn the distortion down and mute lightly on the bridge. And seeing as you like Matt Heafy from Trivium, the bloke swears by Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" as his fav instructional workout, so you might wanna look into that.
    No one sings the blues quite like Yngwie!

As far as I recall - pretty sure the Gilbert DVD has nothing about muting, & nor do the two Batio DVD’s (nor Shawn Lane's video). I didn’t like the Peturucci video much, and only looked briefly at it, though I think he does have some advice on muting.

Somewhere here there’s a long thread about muting (from EricV I think), so probably worth a search on that.

I don’t really find I need to mute much unless playing ultra fast licks at high volume with high output active pups. Even then I found one cause of the unwanted noise was when my picking and fretting were not so accurate and clean…the better my fast picking got, the less I needed to mute anyway. Other thing - I found muting with the right hand deadened the notes too much…although I found it harder, I prefer to try muting with the fretting hand/fingers if I can.

Just my 2:cents on all that.

Ian.

You should consider starting a DVD library Ian. there cannot be many Doovde's you do not now own.

ps. The hire charge on mine is now accumulating interest at store card style rates.

Ha, ha ... OK, understood .

Ian.

Anything by malmsteem is going to be like:

See my unt guitar playing, im so fat.

e.t.c

Although I've never used a huge amount of instructional videos, I've got to agree with many posts before and say anything by Paul Gilbert. He makes everything so enjoyable and easy to follow which is great for keeping you interested. Of course it depends what you're looking for, but for anything to do with speed picking and alternate pick I'd recommend the Intesnse Rock videos by Paul Gilbert.
    Learn How To Record Guitar At Home On Your Computer =>
    Hidden Content

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted here I've finally graduated from Nursing school and passed the board exam so you'd think I'd be able to play guitar full time right? Well, no. I'm in med school now, which barely gives me time to sleep, much less shred. Over the last year, I've all but quit playing guitar and I'm trying to get back on the saddle.

Over summer vacation, I'm planning on working through the entire Metal Method course, from Stage 1 to 6. Also, I'm going to try and find my Rock Discipline and Intense Rock copies.

That said, I've also found a resource here in the Philippines for Lick Library DVDs and after taking a look at his list, I've narrowed down the few I'm considering:

Ultimate Guitar Techniques: Shredding Classical - Caprice No.5 (Andy James) 1 DVD
    Ultimate Guitar Techniques: Shredding Classical - Caprice No.24 (Danny Gill) 1 DVD
    Metal Edge: Metal Soloing/Pentatonic/Tapping (Andy James) 3 DVDs
    Essential Guitar Pure Theory: Harmony & Theory Basics-Advanced (Danny Gill) 3 DVDs
    Essential Guitar Practice Routines: Alternate Picking (Danny Gill) 1 DVD
    Fretboard Fitness Workout: Guitar Aerobics Basics-Advanced (Danny Gill) 2 DVDs
    50 Metal Killer Licks (Danny Gill) 1 DVD

I just need some opinions from anybody who has used them or had experience with them (coughcoughMandzandCrossroadscoughcough) since I only have money for four or five DVDs at a time.

Metal Method also released a new series called Metal Riffology which teaches "the art of the metal riff". It's taught by Sarah Spisak, one of the teachers in Metal Method, along with Doug Marks and MAB. I believed they already released this course a few years back as a CD-ROM but they revamped it as a DVD. Some people at the MM boards refer to it as a sort of "Stage 7", a bridge between the basic course and MAB's wank-fest Speed series.

They have some previews for the LL vids I mentioned here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/licklibrary?blend=1

And a preview of Metal Riffology as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SarahSpisak

Mod
    Can we sticky this thread? alot of good info here.

Glad I stumbled onto this forum! I've been looking for instructional videos since I got a guitar for Christmas. Love the details in this thread, thank you.

Banned

http://start.ffgjf.name

deleted by admin
    Last edited by metaljustice83; 04-17-2009 at 02:27 PM.

There are tons of them. You need to narrow your choices by figuring out what your goals are. Do you want a general beginner's intro to playing guitar or are you looking to learn a certain style?

Any new thoughts here.

i notice some of the guitar instructional videos that your discussing are for advance guitarist dont you have anything for the beginners? so far i check justinguitar.com i got it from youtube and he also has a website you may wanna make some reviews about this person i was able to grab some of his youtube videos if only i have a credit card and paypal i get the dvd for $70 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by polmartin33
    i notice some of the guitar instructional videos that your discussing are for advance guitarist dont you have anything for the beginners? so far i check justinguitar.com i got it from youtube and he also has a website you may wanna make some reviews about this person i was able to grab some of his youtube videos if only i have a credit card and paypal i get the dvd for $70 dollars.
    Is Justinguitar.com an Internet teaching product from an individual teacher? Because there are hundreds of individual commercial ventures like that.

It's always possible that some of those things are really good. But in most cases I suspect they will be clearly inferior to the best of the mainstream teaching material in the books and DVD's listed throughout this thread.

It's a free choice & people can spend their hard earned money any way they want. But for anyone just beginning electric lead guitar, the first DVD from Danny Gill (Rock Essentials) is excellent, and about half the price you mention. And there is also an excellent & very comprehensive book/CD from Barrett Tagliarino (Chord Tone Soloing) which is only a quarter of that price.

For a simple tutorial play-along guide, I'd also recommend the book/CD from Ricky Rooksby (Fast Forward Lead Guitar), again a fraction of the price.

Ian.
    Last edited by Crossroads; 08-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.

I've got several instructional DVD's and my favourite is probably Keith Wyatt's Rockin The Blues. If you like blues jamming, this is the DVD for you! Loads of rythym and lead ideas and techniques.
    MOT

Hidden Content

I've upped my standards...so up yours!