Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

Wannabe Shred-pop Maestro Mandz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pfizer
    I think I'll go for the Lick Library series. Besides the Rock series with Danny Gill, are there any other DVDs from LL that you can recommend?
    as far as LL dvds, i'd recommend the fretboard navigator, and "how to play fast" volues 1+2, and "killer licks", both by Dave Kilminster (badass guitarist, but his sense off humour is a bit weird). If you like metal, then the new metal techniques dvds are pretty good, though not brilliant. these are some of the LL dvd's that i have. i have more LL dvd's but i don't think they were that great (Ultimate Guitar - Sweep Picking Techniques by Stuart Bull is one of them that stands out as being a waste of my hard earned). its kind of hit and miss with the technique/theory dvds, if you ask me. some are genuinely useful. others, less so. i've also got "how to get a great guitar sound" by andy casswell, and that is not particularly good IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by pfizer
    Hey dude, thanks for answering my questions. Question about the Govan books though; aside from scales and modes, does it teach chord progressions too? The first 2 volumes of Fretboard Logic apparently doesn't teach it.
    as far as chord progression, i can't remember off the top of my head (i'm at work and don't have the books to hand), but i'm pretty sure he talks you through them.

Mandz – what do you think of Jamie Humphries as an instructor on those LL DVD’s (that’s not a “loaded” question lol…just wondered what you thought of him)?

Yeah maybe I was a bit hard on Kilminster - his playing is fine & he normally chooses nice stuff … doesn’t mind making a few mistakes either, which is refreshing since we all do that (well I do anyway!) …but he just annoys me…personal thing I guess …but I agree he may be fine for others.

Paul Gilbert is also a v.good instructor of course, but we’ve mentioned him lots of times re. Intense Rock (mainly fast alt. picking practice routines).

Ian.

ps - the Govan Books have very little on Chord Progressions, but Chris Juergensen's book has loads about chords & progressions.

Hi again guys. Sorry for not posting for so long.

I'm in a bit of jam here and long story short, money's pretty scarce. Because of that, my parents said I could get one, and ONLY ONE of "those guitar DVDs" for myself. I need something that is complete and comprehensive and so far here are the top three:

- Metal Method
    - Lick Library
    - Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz (this thing costs $240 , but if it's THAT GOOD....)

This time, I REALLY need your help guys. I don't want to give up guitar playing and learning...

Wannabe Shred-pop Maestro Mandz's Avatar
    sorry i've taken ages getting back to you:

Crossroads (Ian): I think Jamie Humphries is actually a good teacher, though his playing is sometimes a lot sloppier that i would expect of someone in his position. he does give solid information though.

pfizer: I personally prefer the Lick Library stuff, cos I am really just a rock player and the Steve Krenz stuff is just a bit too detailed for my tastes - it starts off from a COMPLETE beginner's perspective, though he does have some useful tips (for instance, he recommends that you don't buy a bleeping metronome that its better to have one that actually makes a clicking/knocking sound, which is something i have found to be helpful). If you're interested in learning to read music, then this course is the best of the three you have listed. you won't learn that with Metal Method or Lick Library.

Slightly off-topic, what are the rules about posting links to useful video lessons (on youtube and such) on this forum?

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Well, I asked my parents (read: groveled ) for Learn and Master Guitar and the exact words from my dad was "WTF?! $240!! You'd better be able to play guitar with your d*** at that price!". So yeah....

Anyway, guess I'll try Metal Method. Turns out we don't have Lick Library here in the Philippines. I was actually going to try and order Learn and Master Guitar online but my parents don't allow Internet purchasing

Also, I just saw my new class schedule (I'm finally a senior in Nursing ! ) and it's insane. I need something to dip into during the weekends instead of just watching TV and playing videogames so I'm betting LaMG is not the best choice for that (based on what Mandz said). I might consider Metal Method as soon as I find a copy where the video and audio is in sync and the material is tabbed out . Also for Mandz, I actually play a lot of Punk rock when I jam with friends but I'm a closet acousticblues/progressive/metal fan . So I guess I NEED that detailed teaching for a more solid foundation.

On another note, I found several other DVDs and I wanna know what you guys think of them:

1) Killer Pro Soloing Secrets by Tony Burnett - I've been seeing ads for this in magazines almost for as long as Metal Method (though no where near as popular) and it claims some outrageous things like turning kids into virtuousos overnight. Sounds like bull to me already but I'm asking you guys if there any grain of truth in the ad.

2) This Is The Way I Do It by John McLaughlin - This is very similar to Learn And Master Guitar because of the price ( $240!!!OMG) and the quality of the package. It seems to be aimed at the more advanced players though since apparently there's no tab option and the exercises are quite advanced. It also focuses more on improvisation so I guess you would have to have a solid musical foundation already.

Here's a couple others I found that deal with specific styles that I'm trying to learn (namely shredding on electric and fingerstyle tapping on acoustic)

1) The Guitar Of Preston Reed - I think I posted somewhere that I am also trying to learn solo fingerstyle guitar and this guy's ambidextrous tapping style intrigues me; he's like an acoustic Michael Batio On a side note, Andy Mckee (one of my acoustic heroes) is said to have learned from this. It's obvious though that this DVD is for those with some experience with fingerpicking already so if anybody can suggest where to begin, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2) Rusty Cooley Shred Manifesto - Rusty actually testifies to learning from Metal Method. He is a technique monster and has posted a lot on sites like Shredaholic.com. I wanna know if his DVD is as precise and clear as MM when it comes to shred guitar. If it's good, I might use it in conjunction with Rock Discipline.

3) Speed Kills 1&2 - Starring that ambidextrous freakshow M.A. Batio. Listening to his music, frankly, leaves me a bit cold but watching him play is quite inspiring to say the least. It looks like it might be good for developing technique and chops.
    Last edited by pfizer; 06-12-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Adding a few things

Hey guys! Long time, no-post Just wanted to keep this thread alive for other's use.

Well, I had some time on my hands and borrowed the Rockhouse Method DVDs from my friend, particularly the Learn To Play Rock, Advanced Metal and Hands of Steel courses. While they are pretty good compared to most of the other instructionals out there, they seem to be lacking in some areas, particularly, telling the watcher WHAT to practice. John McCarthy (the instructor) is good and is a solid guitarist but he basically just tells you to "play this, play that" with no further explanation.

Initial grade: B-

I also re-visited the Metal Method website (still really want that one) and saw a new Stage Six included in the Basic Course Package. Mandz, if it's no trouble, could you post a detailed review of the new Metal Method course? I'm also interested in the Metal Method: Guitar Songwriting course, anybody have any opinions on it?

I'm up for a gig in about 4 months time, my first gig in about 4 years . I really need your help and advice guys. My bandmates are pretty ambitious and we're actually aiming to do songs from Rage Against The Machine, Sum 41 and Trivium. I can do the RATM songs fine (Killing in the Name, Bombtrack) but I still need quite a bit of work. Sum 41's "Hell Song" is a bitch to play and Trivium is near impossible at my current level. Yikes, it's gonna be one hell of a gig either way!
    Last edited by pfizer; 07-08-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: adding some stuff

I've just bought several DVDs - John Petrucci's Rock Discipline; Michael Angelo's Speed Kills 2 and Speed Lives; Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock 1 & 2 and Terrifying Guitar Trip; and Frank Gambale's Chop Builder. Loads to have a look at - I'll let you know what I think once I've had a go with each of them

I've watched all of those minus Speed Lives. I don't have the Chop Builder anymore the VHS tape just died on me. And while the same thing happen to the PG videos I got them back on DVD. That should tell you which I think are the better ones. Don't get me wrong. They all showed me different approaches to technique and useful exercises but really the PG videos are the most entertaining. Michael Angelo's video goes along the same lines plus he shows you a couple of sweep picking shapes (which are virtually unexistent in PG's videos) but he fails to keep my attention (I can't sit through a whole movie so it may not be his fault). The Frank Gambale's video is great I just never really cared for his approach, not that it's bad or anything (if you have heard him play you know it works for him) it's just not my cup of tea. Petrucci's video is very methodical and it really breaks things down plus he shows you how to use a metronome (which all the other videos fail to do) but John appears to be a VERY boring teacher in that video. He sounds like my high school literature teacher. The concepts are valuable though and very clearly executed. It's just boring to watch.

The bottom line is they are all good I just like the PG videos better.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Thanks very much for that, the Paul Gilbert ones and the John Petrucci one were the ones I'd been looking forward to the most. So hopefully I'll get a good balance. Michael Angelo seems to be a bit too much to take at times lol. Will try them and let you know what I think

Hey guys. Still trying to keep this thread alive, hope no one minds

Found a site : http://www.guitarprinciples.com/

Several people on the Ultimate-Guitar Forum recommended it and I was interested to see if anybody here has ever heard of it or better yet, has had experience with it as well as the products on the site.

Also, I heard some people saying that any site that links to or endorses Learn and Master Guitar earn a certain amount for their plugging. Considering how many "reviews" also link to the official website, I'm starting to have some doubts about the course, as forumites like ourselves seem to have very little experience with this reportedly "cream of the crop" of video guitar lessons. Some reviews still stand as there are still people (in this forum particularly) who give positive reviews for the course. I'm just wondering whether the validity of the "reviews" have any reflections on the actual quality of the course.

bump

Musicman John Petrucci JP6 signature model usa for sell

hi i own that guitar about year,its mint condition,have just small chip on te edge of body,never gigged,paid for this beauty £980 im selling for ££850 or would swap for ESP eclipse or Gibson les paul

..(reason why im selling its cos i need something as les paul shape)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by raf7007
    hi i own that guitar about year,its mint condition,have just small chip on te edge of body,never gigged,paid for this beauty £980 im selling for ££850 or would swap for ESP eclipse or Gibson les paul

..(reason why im selling its cos i need something as les paul shape)

Yeah, put this in a place for selling stuff, not here. This thread f****n died because of this

Anyway, here's something I need to get off my chest:

As some of you might know, I'm a bit of an instructional video junkie and because of that, I've come across a LOT of different instructionals and I'm wondering why some of them are so darned expensive! I mean, we're talking an average of $100-$300 with each product. They're usually the "complete" courses, promising complete virtuosity and knowledge. I, like any other bloke who plays guitar, am skeptical about the claims they make but I'd like to know what you think.

Here's the top 3 MOST EXPENSIVE GUITAR INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS I've found!

- Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz

Oh yeah, when I first heard the price of this one (about $250), my jaw hit the floor. That price is no joke but I've heard very little about it except from websites "reviewing" it but ultimately being affiliated with the product (read: they get a cut from each product sold). It claims to be, in abbreviated terms, "most complete guitar course ever". I have seen some good reviews about it here in this and other forums but I'm still having trouble believing that price! If it's that well made and that complete, then why haven't more people heard about it?

- John McLaughlin's This Is The Way I Do It and Gateway to Rhythm
    To his credit, this THE John McLaughlin we're talking about here, so it makes the price tag (about $200 as well) a we bit easier to swallow. I HAVE seen some good reviews about the product in boards (which I tend to trust more, especially if I know the poster isn't an employee of the course who registered to plug the product) but the general consensus seems to agree that this course is not for n00bs(like me ) . I might consider getting it when I'm good enough

- Absolutely Understand Guitar by Scotty West
    Just heard about this one actually. It seems to be in the same vein as LaMG by Steve Krenz but with a bit less production values. Scotty West looks like he shot this in his basement! On the other hand though, production values matter less than the actual teaching ability of the instructor, especially through a one-way medium like videos. Paul Gilbert filmed almost all his instructionals on a bar stool in front of a green screen and John Petrucci just basically sat in the dark throughout his instructional but they were both able to get their points across well. If Scotty West is a good enough teacher, then his course can come in a plastic bag for all I care!

I'm thinking of purchasing the complete 2007 version of Metal Method series by Doug Marks and I want to know if I should get one of the above courses instead....

Hey guys, just an update to this thread...

I've been listening to quite a bit of Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/Pantera lately and something really caught my ear about the rhythm sections of the songs. They have a gallop picking type pattern (a term I got from Matt Heafy) that sounds very much like a machine gun. I guess the best way I could describe it would be like a TRRD-TRRD-TRRD type rhythm. As I listened to more bands, I found that the newer metalcore acts such as Killswitch Engage and All That Remains use it as well.
    Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgswxjg67wM = Note the part by Trivium

It's quite different from the strict alternate picking that Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci use in their songs and teach in their videos. The notes seem like triplets but are more like sixteenth notes with three notes and a rest.

I'm hoping on adding this rhythmic technique to my practice regimen and I found a series of DVDs by Lick Library called Metal Edge taught by Andy James. I've been kinda apprehensive about getting the LL vids primarily because they don't use tab at all. Somebody likened the vids to learning riffs from another guitarist so I'm giving it a chance, provided of course that they are any good. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd_NRWwE6v8

Besides LL, I've also found a new series by Rockhouse Method , called the Metal Guitar series. I'm not counting the Advanced Metal Licks DVDs here since I've already seen them and they kinda suck to be honest The whole DVD is just basically "here's riff 1, riff 1 slow, here's riff 2, riff 2 slow, etc." without really explaining much.

Like I said, I'm interested in the Metal Guitar DVDs, from Beginner to Advanced. The first one's taught by RH instructor and founder John McCarthy, while the second and third DVDs are taught by Marc Rizzo (of Soulfly). The latest DVD they have is on Writing, Riffing and Soloing taught by Rob Arnold of Chimaira (whose albums were nothing remarkable, but did display Arnold's skills as a lead guitarist).

Also I discovered something extremely important about my playing. I just recently picked up my electric guitar again after I got the tuning keys and bridge fixed. I played and I sounded like crap. Specifically, everything I played rang like a friggin' bell!

For those who don't know, I practice almost exclusively on acoustic since it's my only working guitar right now. I also though that it would build finger strength and that it would be the same as playing clean on electric. Damn, I was wrong! Every mistake, every bit of sloppyness is amplified on electric! I can play the palm-muted chord progressions fine but my lead lines sound like SUCK I now realize that I am getting WAAYYY ahead of myself in wanting to learn tapping and shredding when I can't even flippin' mute the strings I don't want to play properly.

Someone recommended Ritchie Kotzen's Rock Chops to help me get a grip on muting strings and getting a cleaner, less sloppy sound. Do the Gilbert/Petrucci/Gambale vids teach this as well? Is the Kotzen vid any good?

This is where you guys come in Pleaseeeeeee???!!!

Hey pfizer,

Yeah, the technique your talking about is more along the lines of 3 sixteenth notes with a sixteenth note rest. It's extremely prevalent in hardcore music (i.e. Hatebreed, Agnostic Front, etc etc), and it's also pretty beneficial in death metal. However I'm pretty sure it's not called the galloping technique. I believe a good example of the galloping technique is in Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" from Kill'Em All.

One of the cool things about the 3 16ths/16th rest is that keeping that kind of ratio going on you can get some nice syncopation going. This of playing them as 8th note triplets with an 8th note triplet rest. For example:
    Code:
    e|------------------------|
    B|------------------------|
    G|------------------------|
    D|------------------------|
    A|------------------------|
    E|0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---|
    __\- 3-/\- 3-/\- 3-/\- 3-/
    With a 4/4 quarter note hi-hat/snare beat...this sounds pretty neat. Just an idea to think about.

See attached powertab for a more clear example.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey