Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    When MTV wanted dudes with long hair, spray painted guitars and hard rock songs, they delivered
    What a bunch of crap !!
    How old are you? 9? 12?
    I was there in the 80's and MTV had NOTHING to do with Dokken. I cant even remember seeing them on MTV. MTV NEVER liked Metal. They had Headbangers ball for a while but that was a long time ago.
    Do your homework before opening your mouth.
    Not even Iron Maiden who was very very big in the 80's was played on MTV.
    They sold out five nights in a row at Long Beach Arena but didn't get any videos played on MTV.

Shawn played for the music, never tailored his image
    Don't you think George Lynch plays for the music!?!?

Have you listened to what's topping the charts now? At least here anyway, the top 40 is plagued by idol contestants, pretty boy bands, and women in men's clothing rock act's like Nickelback
    Yes and I love it. What you and other narrow-minded guitar players who hangs out here doesn't understand is that music is more then guitar playing. Most guitar players can't write a song and that is why Nickelback is way much better and more fun to listen to then Shawn Lane.

Well, that's cool, but when was the last time that music moved you, changed your life or made you stop and think
    Justin and Christina moves me every day. I find it much more fun trying to imitate Aguileras voice on my guitar then copying Shawn Lanes boring licks. She has soul in her voice.

If talent = popularity
    Many guitar players likes to think like that because they can't live with the fact that most people on MTV is much more talented then most guitar players. Guitar players can do ONE thing. Play guitar. But they can't write songs, they can't sing and they can't dance or do anything else that people in general cares about.
    So simply speaking. The talent factor is much more high on MTV then on this forum.
    Sorry people but that's just how it is. We suck. Well at least I do.

And what's wrong with Japan?
    Do you thing the world only consist of the Western Civilization?

And you are just spitting out a bunch of crap about Lynch which proves what I wrote.
    You are a guitar players and guitar players in general sucks as musicians.
    The only thing you seem to understand when we're talking about improving is guitar playing.
    Everything else is like "What's that?" songwriting? huh? singing? huh?
    Lynch has done some really brilliant albums the last few years. Wicked Underground for example.
    You don't seem to know anything about George Lynch so don't open your mouth about him or anything else until you have done some homework.
    Can anyone name ONE album that Shawn Lane did that more then 3 people actually cared about?

It really makes me sad to think that people could doubt Shawn's talent
    The truth always hurts for some people. Shawn Lane was a decent guitar player but there are thousands of guitar players in Nashville who also is good on guitar but that's all they can do.
    Talent to me is much more then just being able to play an instrument.

I've read and heard stories about guitarists often featured in top ten mags who heard Shawn play and fell off their chair
    You've heard stories?
    I didn't hear them I read them. Those few stories was all in the 80's and the only thing people was impressed with was the speed he had. The one who fell of his chair was Billy Gibbons but stories like that is usually not very true. Gibbons was probably drunk at some bar and fell off because of that.
    I also consider Billy Gibbons to have WAY much more talent then Shawn Lane.

I have live footage of satch, scolnick, vai, gilbert and a whole load of shredders on stage on a jam of "goin' down", these guys are the real guitar gods, whose jaws drop! when it's time for Shawn to play
    Not true. None of those guys dropps any jaws when hearing Shawn Lane even though they think he was okay.

Every one has they're own favorite player/band etc. I just can't listen to people comparing Lynch to Lane
    Not me either. It's an offense again Lynch to be compared to a mediocre guitar player such as Shawn Lane.

There is no comparison. I could name a hundred guitar players better than Lynch
    Impossible because there is none. he is the best ever.

You're baggin' Holdsworth too? He is a major-ly influential guitarist!
    Not true. Very few guitar players says he is an influence.

I read in a music mag recently that JT has been copying Michael Jackson pretty much exactly
    Nothing wrong with that. Everyone copies someone and copying the greatest pop artist in history isn't a bad thing.

NO ONE COULD TRY TO COPY SHAWN. SORRY
    I can't see any reason why someone would even like to do it.
    I mean who is going to listen to it?

Ok... letīs get back to topic.... it has gotten to the "personal opinion, not much sense in continuing this" point, so letīs get back to the video-part, otherwise this thread might be closed down...
    Eric

I agree with those who said the first Paul Gillbert Video , and the First Vinnie Moore video. They both had some really good warm up exercises , which can get the picking happening.
    I would recommend , a Stevie Ray Vaughn Concert Live Video ,too ,it's very inspiring.There is alot to be said of seeing how it 's done Live ,in Concert.That is the best commercially availible Video i can think of , he really had great Dynamics , "Tin Pan Ally" is incredible.
    Unfortunatly Johnny Winter doesn't have any Non-Bootleg Footage that is really good , his playing is a bit easier to follow than Stevies' , in the Blues/rock style.
    Johnny's Bass Player and Drummer,later became Vaughn's Band, Bass player ,John Paris, got his start with Johnny in the 70s , and toured with SRV in the 80s.
    I 'm sure there's some inspiring Paul Gilbert Footage Avalible somewhere, he's good like that. Some players ,and Lables ,don't care if there marketed in Video, fortunately some do .

Any suggestions?

anubis wrote : I think that when Lynch dies and goes to heaven God will say "Hey Shawn Lane now Lynch is here. Can you move down a bit"

just like to say thats a pretty average comment. thats got nothing to do with recommending instructional videos.

ajdowton,

I just can't believe my ears man !

Lynch was / is one of the most influencial and respected guitarists of the 80's / 90's.

I can't see how you can justify calling him over-rated !

Everyone back then 'borrowed' licks from lynch, everyone wanted to have that 'sound' and attitude.

I haven't heard a player since that has such an original 'tone' coupled with a such a very impressive technique.

The guy can write songs too and also perform what he has written in front tens of thousands of people.

I can't remember when MTV were 'Dokken friendly' either infact the time I remember their tunes been aired was late at night...perhaps on the Headbangers Ball or something.

Can you play as well as Lynch ajdowton ?

Are you even better (Whatever that word means !)

If your not.....I don't think that your qualified to call him 'Over-rated'.

Bye Bye,

Daz

Did anyone like the Dio Strange Highways album?

Jeff Pilson , Dokkens , Bass Player , was on bass , a wrote on some of the songs , Tracy G on Guitar .

Hey Spin 2513

Heve you ever watched SRV "Live at the El Mocambo"?
    Amazing concert video. Well shot, at a small club here in Toronto, I believe early 80's. Power Trio blues/rock at it's best. You are right, it's very inspiring. Everytime after I watch it, I don't play anything else but my Strat for the next two weeks.

hi, i understand about ur words Eric..i've bought the joey taffola's video..it's horrible..too fast for me...yeah..i think i'll focus on john petrucci's and Gilbert and Gambale's stuff..but i think ritchie's is good..really inspiration for me..how about Bert grased ( sorry if i spell it wrong ), Eric?

I'll also add Mike Campese's instructional cd rom to my list. Just picked it up yesterday. Learning alot of things from it. Stuff I wouldn't have thought of.

Cool. Unfortunately, I havenīt seen that one yet. But I am sure it rocks. Why donīt you review it for the rest of us ? =)
    Warm regards
    Eric

frank gambales "chops builder" is an awesome video. It gives you a well structured workout that covers just about everything you should work on to "build chops".

I just ordered Paul Gilberts intense rock, I hope its as good as everyone says.(I'm sure i is)
    I'm also thinking of checking out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.
    .................................................. ...............................

I would not advise anyone to ever watch Tony MacAlpine's Starlicks video, it is in no way helpful unless you already know everything he tells you.
    "From now on we are enemies... You and I."

Someone said Joey Taffola had an Instructional Video, Being as Taffola and Gillbert recorded "Out of the Sun" together .I would think Taffola's Video would be much of the same A minor E Phrigian, kind of scale work .

How does Taffola's Video compare to Paul Gillbert s 1st Video?

Tafollaīs vid was recorded around the time of "Infra Blue", his second solo-album. If you have heard that one, you know that it is very different from "Out Of The Sun"... itīs more bluesy, even has some Morse-style country-licks, not really a neoclassical album.
    So, on his video, there arenīt really any neoclassical licks. The video deals with stuff like chromatics, combining chromatics and the pentatonic scale, open string-licks ( very cool stuff ). Also, you get to see a few live-performances of songs from "Infra Blue" at the MI.

I think the main difference to the PG-video is that Paul shows you a bunch of techniques and licks you can use, while Joey shows you runs and little etudes based on playing-concepts... and doesnīt go too much into the actual playing techniques required to play those.
    So you COULD say that before trying to work through the "Shredding" video, you should work through the exercises on "Intense Rock" to develop your picking and legato technique.
    Hope this helps
    Eric

oh yeah thanks , Eric ,

It's sounds good , like a demonstration , more than a slow the lick down , video .
    Blues Saraceno , had an instructional , which was okay , but it only had a couple of actual usable Riffs . I concentrated alot on getting different sounds and effects from the guitar , and equipment and using the Whammy bar , which before i saw the video , i didn't realize Saraceno even used a Whammy .
    He talks about doing Volume swells with a delay , similar to Eddie Van Halens "Cathedral" . And he shows how to play one of his tunes , from the Hair pick album .

The best part of that one was the actual playing in the beginning, and end of the video , and the Song he plays to the backing track .

Paul Gillbert intense rock II actually got more into what"Blues Scales " scale Patterns to use , and Improvising with them , Fast and Slow , and how to write riffs to play on ZZ top Texas Boogie jams , and stuff .
    That was a really good intermediate level Video .

Much different approach than the "shred videos"

like Yngwies "watch me shred video " which is good for a different reason .You get the Riff at two speeds
    Fast , and faster .

If Taffolas is a shre video like that , but with , Jazzy blues type shredding , it would be a good thing , i'm sure
    Play Loud

Hey there...

Havenīt seen the Saraceno-vid, but I know what tune youīre talking about... "A Lighter Shade Of Plaid".

The best part of that one was the actual playing in the beginning, and end of the video
    Sounds a lot like the Kotzen-video to me =)
    I guess it depends on the viewer too... after all, someone said he got some good exercises out of the Kotzen-vid, while I mainly enjoyed the intro- and outro-solos and considered a "motivating video" instead of an "instructional video"

Paul Gillbert intense rock II actually got more into what"Blues Scales " scale Patterns to use , and Improvising with them
    Yeah, I know. Iīve worn out two copies years ago...watched it pretty much every day. I loved that part about phrasing, analyzing the rhythm of melodies, and dynamics.
    Great stuff, one of the best... wrote a review of it for ibreathe, too

Tafollaīs video is less "general", has more licks and runs instead of focus on specific techniques. He also explains how to play "Wrecking Ball", a wacky shred-solo from his album...
    Eric