Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

10 most useful guitar instructional videos for U

hi guys, yesterday i 've gone to a store. it's amazing, i've found a lot of instructional videos available there but really, it turned me headache wheni must choose them! there's a lot of rare stuff also there such from blues saraceno, brian may, george lynch, bret grassed, shawn lane allan hplloworths and many more...

i really don't know what should i pick. can you help me? please, write down 10 most useful guitar instructional for you and if you would give the reason also. ( ex cause it's help me build the speed etc. ) thanx guys.

I've never actually bought any guitar videos (well except for Legends of Jazz but that's a performance DVD) but my friend let me borrow Joe Pass Solo Jazz Guitar although I had only been playing (if you could call it that) jazz for about 2 months so it was only good for blowing my mind.

I do plan to come back to it in a few months though now that I'm not so green :P That same tape had a bunch of Star Licks on it (some shred crap etc.) the only other one I liked was Larry Carleton's but his wasn't particularly useful to me either (again, could have been my lack of experience).

I'm kinda of interested in suggestions. I have noticed that the quality of Hot Licks videos seems to be pretty consistent and I'd say any of them is probably safe. What type of music do you like?

EDIT: Wait! I lied; I forgot I bought that Joe Stump Shred video from Berklee and it was horrible! Don't buy Chop Builder or whatever from Berklee, the only 2 good clips from it they put on the web for free at http://www.berkleeshares.com

-Dan
    Last edited by DanF; 01-09-2004 at 12:55 PM.
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

wadester

Quote Originally Posted by DanF View Post
    I've never actually bought any guitar videos (well except for Legends of Jazz but that's a performance DVD) but my friend let me borrow Joe Pass Solo Jazz Guitar although I had only been playing (if you could call it that) jazz for about 2 months so it was only good for blowing my mind.

I do plan to come back to it in a few months though now that I'm not so green :P That same tape had a bunch of Star Licks on it (some shred crap etc.) the only other one I liked was Larry Carleton's but his wasn't particularly useful to me either (again, could have been my lack of experience).

I'm kinda of interested in suggestions. I have noticed that the quality of Hot Licks videos seems to be pretty consistent and I'd say any of them is probably safe. What type of music do you like?

EDIT: Wait! I lied; I forgot I bought that Joe Stump Shred video from Berklee and it was horrible! Don't buy Chop Builder or whatever from Berklee, the only 2 good clips from it they put on the web for free at http://www.berkleeshares.com

-Dan
    Arlen Roth!Great teacher in most styles.most underrated player out there.check him on utube.best original sounding player out there in my books...

Quote Originally Posted by DanF View Post

-Dan
    However, I made the same mistake as DanF, and bought Chop buider by Joe Stump. It's a pieca of crap, and there is very little useful information there. The way it was advertised, was very misleading.
    Last edited by Crossroads; 02-25-2011 at 09:13 AM.

I always found books better for me. The only video I have is a Flamenco video by Juan Serrano.

However, I made the same mistake as DanF, and bought Chop buider by Joe Stump. It's a pieca of crap, and there is very little useful information there. The way it was advertised, was very misleading.

Anyway, I suggest you by a couple of videos of players that you like, or that play a style of music that you like.

Hi there....

depending on your preferences, you could try John Petrucci's Rock Discipline, or Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock

Both really good videos with great info... but, you will have to develop a lot of speed to make a lot of the info contained in them usable. Lots of sequences and patterns that only sound good when performed fast.

To see these guys pull some of this stuff off is really incredible, so for "knock your socks off" value, these are top notch.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JGuitar
    Both really good videos with great info... but, you will have to develop a lot of speed to make a lot of the info contained in them usable.
    How much speed?

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Unsung shred hero..

Check out this link. http://www.jimibell.com/

Jimi Bell came in second to Zak Wylde in 1986 for the Ozzy audition. Check out some of his shred videos at his site.. Gotta use Internet Explorer. One video is from 1985 of him doing a solo at the 1985 NAMM show in California..

He lives in Connecticut, about 10 miles from me now and I used to go to the music store where he worked to watch and drool. He most plays locally now but he is an unsung hero of shred...fo sho. I just can't afford the 40 bucks an hour for lessons.

Joe

Yep, im not much into the videos but if i had tpo recommend one itd definitely be rock discipline with pertucci.

Rock discipline is very very good, it covers a lot of ground and you can use its concepts forever (I still use some of his approaches to practicing) the downside of that is that Petrucci's video can be extremely boring (specially if you're just starting out) Paul Gilbert's videos are a lot more fun (even though the concepts exposed there aren't as "eternal" Both videos are great and they both have helped me out, if you can, get them both and work on PG's first and then do JP.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I never got into videos, mainly because here in Canada they are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the same book with a CD.

I second the Rock Discipline video. It's probably the best out there, and theres a review of it on this site.

If you want to learn how to play, then the metal method series gets my bet. It covers pretty much everything possible, and its how I learned to play. Enjoyable to watch as well.

But for 'expanding' on what you learn, rock discipline gets my vote, as does "Speed Kills" by micheal angelo batio. You might not like his playing, but he's definitly got a good video/dvd out when it comes to speed picking. Petrucci covers a ton of stuff in his, and while its pricey (I think about 50) its worth it. I saw it once online for 35 though, so shop around.

Hello, here's a review of most of the videos I own

"Speed Kills" by Micheal Angelo, it really helped my picking. His "Star Licks" Video is cool too. I also have his "Jam with Angelo" video, song #3 is worth the price of the video, it's an acoustic number. Mikey's not a bad teacher either.

John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" is cool, it's not terribly musical, but the excersises will help you alot. John's a pretty good teacher.

I have Paul Gilbert's "Intense Rock" and "Terrifying Guitar Trip" videos, bith are great. "Intense Rock alot of cool shredder ideas. "Terrifying Guitar Trip" is a bunch of stuff.
    Paul, of course, is an awesome teacher.

Ok I'm gonna get made fun of for this, but I own Chris Impellitteri's REH video. It's actually not bad, some of the licks are cool except he plays them so fast that you have no idea what he just did. Oh well, Chris is actually a good teacher too.

George Lynch's REH video. It's actually better than I thought it would be. George gives away some cool licks. He's not a great teacher though.

Yngwie Malmsteen's REH video. Ok, has a bunch of cool Malmsteen licks, but Yngwie is a horrible teacher.

I have Terry Syrek's "Shred is not Dead" video. It's good, has alot of advanced soloing concepts in it. Get the book too. Terry's a good teacher.

Oh this isn't a video, but Guthrie Govan's "Creative Guitar 2" is an awesome book, go get it, NOW.

I'm not big on videos but I absolutely love Rusty Cooley instructional CD's. I have all 3 and they are all great.

Quote Originally Posted by flathead View Post
    I'm not big on videos but I absolutely love Rusty Cooley instructional CD's. I have all 3 and they are all great.
    Really ? Do you have rusty cooley instructional CD's. if yes then will you like to share them here I also wanna to watch them and play the guitar. Thanks
    Last edited by Apolloe; 02-26-2019 at 06:05 PM.