Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Concept: Playing a Song

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Is this the one, by David Mead? If so, it also comes with a CD, which is cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Yep, that's the book...

IMHO it's got the best beginner advice going for guitar. The teacher really has a clue about teaching, about music, and about guitar.

The 10 minute drills are _very_ structured. The whole book is honest to god dead serious about how to use just ten minutes to get in a really productive session of guitar practice. I find the level of structure required for that frightening (I'm a pretty unstructured individual personally) ... so I'm not advocating actually following that book to the letter (although, hell I think if you've got the pesonality to do it, it would work). But... all the drills in the book are good, and the dexterity drills are excellent. Do just the dexterity drills and I think you'll see very beneficial results.

Doug.

PS. Let us know how it goes. It if I didn't think the book was worth it I wouldn't reccommend it. But instruction books are iffy things... one man's gold is another's garbage.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Well, I've been doing the first 3 or 4 lessons now since I bought the book. It's going okay, and I think it's very useful. I don't believe my pinky will ever stay anywhere near the fretboard when it's not in use, but I guess I should just be happy I HAVE a pinky.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.