Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Concept: Playing a Song

mmm, so you are tyring to upload a sound file? I double checked and the upload size is 1MB.

Is it an mp3?

If you want you can send it to me by email so I can have a look at what's going on.

Thanks,

Guni
    Please don't email or send me private messages with music related questions as they will be ignored. Rather use the forums for this and I will try my best to take part as much as I can.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Yeah sure well NOW it works...I see the file size limit now says 1048576. Must have been a fluke...or someone is messing with my tiny brain.

Okay--this is my recording of the Autumn Leaves melody. It's about 900K so you'll have to a) be very curious indeed or b) have a high-speed connection. Don't you think it sounds just like Wes?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 10-07-2002 at 06:18 PM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Your B string is flat!
    Some of the notes could be a little louder.
    Other than that it sounds pretty good.
    Are you playing this in open position?
    You could get a warmer tone by moving up the neck a bit.

Now you just need to play it with a background and throw in a little chord on a couple of notes, then blow a solo.

Your doing DAMN good for someone who has only been playing for a few months! Your timing seems pretty good too.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Thanks James. I tune often but it's not a habit and sometimes I let it go for several hours--I checked--the B was flat. I'm impressed.

Yes, open position. I've just written it out an octave higher, but am having trouble with some fingerings where I have awkward transitions between notes.

Timing is due to a rhythm track that you may not be able to hear in the MP3--although the 1/4 and 1/2 rests give me a bit of a challenge.

My plan was to play the chords over this melody--so to speak. I'm still having a very tough time selecting voicings though--ones that sound good in MIDI playback AND that I can actually articulate on the fingerboard. This seems like it's going to be my biggest challenge of all.

The quiet notes are unintended--that's where I almost didn't get in position in time and forgot about the right hand. This is so funny--I listen to this recording and wonder "what the heck is this guy using for a pick, anyway, a rug hook?"

Thanks again for the feedback--it gives me some things to think about.

NP--Don't Fear the Reaper , Blue Oyster Cult
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 10-09-2002 at 07:47 PM.

Don't transpose it up an octave just move it up to about the 5th or 7th position keeping the same notes, this will warm it up a bit plus you will move to lower strings.

BOC Don't fear the Reaper
    Buck Dharma plays some nice guitar on this one!
    I saw him live a couple of times, once in the late 70's and once in 93 he played a steinberger (headless and bodyless) he really impressed me, this guy can really play melodically.
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by szulc
    Now you just need to play it with a background and throw in a little chord on a couple of notes, then blow a solo.
    What do you mean by "a background"? Do you mean like bass and/or drums?

Any solo I could do would most assuredly "blow"

What do you mean by "a background"? Do you mean like bass and/or drums?
    You got it like "band in a box" software
    Any solo I could do would most assuredly "blow"
    This is not necessarily so, just stay within your abilities on any solo you do. Play slow and with feeling, play around the melody, syncopate, accent play with the time.
    Hidden Content

There are two real challenges for me with how I've set it up. I have to just try some stuff and see what I think makes the most sense--both for my ability to get into position when needed, and for my ability to clearly execute the note.

One of the biggest challenges is in bar 7 of the line below. For that tied B I'm using finger 1 at this point, but ooops, next note is Bb. Sure looks easy in TAB, but I've found it to be tough to do. Stretching the index down a fret wouldn't be too intimidating if that finger wasn't doing anything at the time.

Here's the section I mentioned above, just FYI.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 10-12-2002 at 04:29 AM.

looks to my like you're going to have to shift your hand position. the question is just how much.

if you want to maintain the same basic hand position, i'd consider this:
    * slide the index finger from fret 4 to 3 to hit the Bb. you have to do it quick if you want to maintain the full note duration, and you have to lift up just a hair before you slide so that you don't hear the slide.
    * then you could hit the B with the middle finger or slide back with the index.
    * if you hit the B with the middle, then you can either slide the middle to the C or hit the C with the ring finger.
    * if you hit the C with the ring, you'll have to either stretch the pinky to the A on string 4 or take this opportunity to shift your hand back to the original position so that it won't be a stretch.

it would probably be awkward at first, but you could practice it at slow tempo and build it up.

if you're willing to move closer to the nut (which i think may have been where you originally started), you could shift your whole hand so that you hit that A in bar 8 on the second fret of string 3 instead of the seventh fret of string 4. you'd have to figure out a place where you feel comfortable doing that (maybe hit the Bb with the middle finger). the rest of what's visible is playable from here, but it might mean either shifting the tab that follows, or doing another quick-change with the hand position at the next opportunity.

That's an idea. What I've been doing most of the time is actually going up to 8 on the lower string (for the Bb)--I have short fingers so let my index slide up a little over the fret it's on.

...the latest melody for your evaluation.

And here it is with a few mods:

1. It's at around position 5 or so, per James' recommendation
    2. It's got a a little 'bounce' to it now,
    3. It's been boosted up to 126 bpm
    4. I'm playing it with a mitten on my left hand
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very Nice !

I like the rhythm to this!
    (You are a conga player right?)
    Much more confidence and swing.

Bravo!

Now just add some walking bass and some piano chords.

Nice tone!

How many weeks has it been since you posted the other one?

Sounds like a different player (in tune also).
    Hidden Content

Thanks, you're too kind

It's been exactly one week--wow, Iive surprised myself. I think I have about 10 hours of solid practice in on the new version--it's hard to say since I do a lot of 20 min practice sessions and I don't keep track.

I thought the 'swing' thing was a little humorous here--the canned rhythm track a little out of place too--but all I really wanted was a beat I could follow and some feel. At least it's not as sterile as it was a few weeks ago, so that's something!

And now, on to the chords.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 10-15-2002 at 03:14 AM.

definitely nice work! sounds almost like you did it on purpose.

Oh, a wise guy, eh?

Remind me to come lookin' for you next time I'm in Puyallup!!