Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Hi everyone, I'm just hanging out checking the forums. Lots of great stuff to read.

I have a question regarding thumbpicks. I've been playing for 12 years. I play electric guitar and acoustic. I used to wear fake nails on P,I,M and A. About a month before I recorded my first fingerstyle cd I picked up some thumb-picks and tried them. It felt so comfortable so immediately that I ended up recording with it. (I covered Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" on that disc) That was about 4 years ago. Since then I have written many new songs that switch between fingerstyle and flat pick. I have also been getting my nails capped with acrylic and it works great. I do find however that the thumbpick is too rigid for picking with it. I can do it rather well now but I was looking at maybe trying something different. I'm currently using Jim Dunlop large like in my "avatar".

I live in Saskatchewan and the music stores here don't have any selection. Does anyone know of some other types of thumbpicks?I play in a really weird death metal band as well and some changes require me to fingerpick but i don't want to use the thumbpick for the rest of the song. I'm thinking that if i found a thumbpick that was a little less rigid I could use it all the time. I usually use these red nylon picks that feel like cat tongues and say brain on them. Just for electric.

Any suggestions? I'll have to order them, I was just hoping that someone might have a solution.

I know...I know.........all these shredders on here are like "fake nails, thumbpick?" I do play a lot of electric and it's pretty heavy. I've always been a fan of the shredding but i see myself getting old with an acoustic on my lap not my flying "V".

This is turning into my personal thread. No fingerstyle players on here? Probably not a lot of Canadians either. Oh well..........still like it here. The theory that's talked about here sheds new light on things that I have been wondering about. Lots of smart people on here and plenty of nice people as well. Glad to ba a part. Any fingerstyle questions on here maybe I can help. I do a lot of open tunings. Any metal heads? Try my C5 tuning. CGCGCC low to high. I use it for some really bashy celtic stuff and some "heavy" acoustic tunes. Sounds like a 12 string with the two highest strings tuned to C.

New to open tunings? Check out this simple idea.

Tune 6th string up one semitone to F

Now you have an A on the 5th and an F on the 6th

Using your thumb, play the A string and let it ring out while you play a run in a natural minor.

Now play the F and let it ring while you play onother am run.

You'll have to play the "runs" on strings 1,2,3,4 because you need to have 5 and 6 ringing out.

It's basicaly improvising in am while implying am (5th string) and FM (6th string)

Once you get the hang of it and can keep it going, try to throw some chords. I find this is a good way to relax. As long as you (I) stay in am you can go for days.............

Get out those thumb picks and get at it, it's a cool idea.

Fingerstyle from Canada see ya later

If you need some change, fret the G, it's now at the 2nd fret.

Hi from Toronto

I play fingerstyle a lot too and use all kinds of different tunings (whatever comes to my head I will try it.) I have tried thumb picks but could never get comfortable enough with them. I just use my nails and flesh when playing. I put some nail hardener on sometimes, but that is about it.

What fingerstyle players are you into?

I like Adrian Legg, Martin Taylor, Preston Reed, Don Ross, Tim Sparks, Michael Hedges, Ralph Towner, Egberto Gismonti, etc.

Ahhhhhhhh.........someone is out there. I listen to a lot of Ron Ross. I seen him play a few times when I was living in Ontario. His sets were so amazing. I met him after one of the shows and he was really nice to chat with.

John Renbourn, he is so fun to listen to, so old sounding.

Kaki King, this girl is from NY. Look her up on the net. She's got some songs to download from her page. She sounds like a female version of Don Ross. She has her own style with lots of tapping and nice melodies.

Alex Degrassi

Michael Hedges

Do you follow who's winnig the "Winfeild". Don Ross won it twice and my friend from town here won it this year. Bob Evans. Bob is a really sharp player with ultimate style, he plays so polished.

There's a few off the top of my head.

BEn

Oceano,

You said you were from Toronto. Have you heard Brian Rudy or Paul Brouse? I played a gig in Toronto a few years back and those guys were on the same bill. I know Toronto is big but you might have actualy heard of these guys. They both were really good.

I just missed Don Ross here on December, couldn't go.
    I heard of Kaki King, but have not listened to her stuff yet.

Those two players you mentioned from Toronto, I have not heard of them, but I only started to get realy into fingerstyle about 3 years ago, before that I didn't pay much attention to the players.

As far as the Winfeild thing is concerned, I know it is some type of competition, but don't know how it works, wher and when it takes place, or how you get in, etc.

If you ever play here again, let me know. Do you or your friend (that won Winfeild) have a website with soundsamples?

Oceano,

The Winfeild is a competition thats in Kansa in a town called Winfeild (or Windfeild I'm not quite sure). Every fall they have competitions for fingerstyle guitar, flat pick, banjo, fiddle and some other folkie instruments. I'm not sure how you get in, Bob Evans would know. Hopefully I'll go down with him some year. I know Bob has a website up with some sound files. I'm not quite sure of the address but just do a search for "Bob Evans Fingerstyle Guitar", your bound to come across it. I live in Regina Sask and he has a program on the community radio station. He plays pretty much mostly acoustic guitar on there. It's called "6 strings and a million possibilities".

I don't have anything on the net right now. I used to on an older site but it's gone now. I'm getting someone else to set it up. Should be done soon. I've recorded 3 solo albums now. You might find a short clip of me , just click on my name. BEN WINOSKI

at :http://www.flatlandmusicfestival.com/compilation.html

It's just a short clip and it fades out too soon. At least you could hear something. I think I'm using my thumbpick more like a flat pick. I'm not even playing fingerstyle on that track. The tuning is low to high CGCGCC

Hope this can help you.

Brian Rudy from Toronto used to play with this group called "the Architects" . Paul Brouse is a teacher at a high scool out there.
    I'm sure each has a website that you can check out and see when they are playing in Toronto. Brian Rudy plays left-handed and I think his low E is on the bottom. (he doesn't re-string to play left handed.)Weird sounding stuff as a result.

Well, I guess I'll see ya later.

BEN

Hey guys, think you're referring to the Walnut Valley National Fingerstyle competition (in Winfield, KS).

Recent winners at Walnut Valley

Walnut Valley Festival homepage.

I've always loved fingerstlye but I have yet to really pursue it the way I should (other than learning Travis picking for Dust in the Wind).

-Dan
    Last edited by DanF; 01-07-2004 at 09:22 PM.
    "In improvised music you easily can tell who is a guitar player and who is a musician." - Maarten (fellow IBMer)

FWIW, I could never get used to thumb picks. It just felt awkward. Luckily my nails are very tough and they grow incredibly quickly (cut them 2-3 times/week, I have a FAST metabolism).

Sorry I can't help. Have you tried looking through Jim Dunlop's website? Dunlop makes a bazillion different picks and most of them have pictures on the web. Musicians Friend has most of them for fairly cheap.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

some one told me to try these thumb picks out:

http://www.fredkellyspicks.com/

I think I'm going to order some

thanks aaeolean

I checked out everybody you mentioned to me, and like the stuff a lot. I also like the little bit I heard from you. I also printed some of Bob Evan's stuff, and will play around with it tonight.

Lately I have been looking into fingerstlye classical, perticularly Chet Atkins cover of "Malaguena". It is insane I must say. I have not explored this music much but Im sure there is better, Im sure Yngwie does better. Anyways, if anyone has seen the tab what fingers do they do on what strings? I can post the tab, I dont have it in P.T. though. There is a long run about 1:30 into the song that I do believe is incredibly hard to fingerpick, but he does it. I want to learn to fingerpick but I really dont know how to get started. I know the basics, like Blackbird, and a couple others. Anyways, enough of my rambling. Anyone that can help?

I'd say just grow out your thumb nail. I used to play Classical hardcore, so I can tell you the thumb nail is the most durable, even for heavy wrap acoustic strings.

Mick