Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Sugestion for a good Jazz (chord/melody)style book

Sugestion for a good Jazz (chord/melody)style book

I want to get a good book on this style of playing. I have been doing the fingerpicking for a long time, but never did much of this style of playing. I want to get into it a little more (got inspired by Martin Taylor) and am looking for a good book.

If you know of any titles, let me know.

Very cool stuff Oceano! Mel Bay publishes a Martin Taylor guitar method which aims at progressively helping you to develop chord-melody arrangements of standards.

My personal favs (well I only have one of his books) are the books by Paul Musso. He is a jazz guitar teacher at a university in Denver. You can read about his books at his site. I recommend Graded Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Solos although it actually might be a bit easy for a guitar player of your skill level. Listen to the song clips and see what ya think.

-Dan

Thanks Dan, I will check out your sugestions. There are so many books out there, that it can get overwhelming and hard to know where to start.

Originally posted by DanF
    [B]Mel Bay publishes a Martin Taylor guitar method which aims at progressively helping you to develop chord-melody arrangements of standards.
    Hey, is this the book you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene is a good one.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It is an amazing book, IMO. I wish I knew even 1/10 of what is in there! Read some of the Amazon reviews for more info. This is one of the best guitar books ever, IMO. Not just a "2 bazillion chord" book, that's for sure!

If you order it from Amazon, make sure you get there through the link on iBreathe's main page so they get some kickbacks...
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Thanks guys

I got one of Paul Musso's books over the weekend. I will probably also get Martin Taylor's book as I like his playing a lot. The Ted Greene book is a book I have been hearing about for years from a lot of great players, so I might give it a try.

I went to Peter Simms site and printed some arrangements he had of songs that I am familiar with. I am having a great time going through his arrangements and am already adding my own little things to them. Thanks Peter.

You can't go wrong with the Ted Greene book... I think every guitarist should own it!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

Barry Galbraith has a chord solo book, as well as a chord comping book, both which I highly reccommend.

In fact, all of Barry Galbraiths Aebersold books are great. I've been working out of them for a 2 years now, and my playing has greatly improved.

I'm not sure who publishes the chord solo book, but definitly try to pick it up.