Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrumental Guitar Ballads

- Patrick Rondat - Nuages
    - Mads Ericksen - The greatest sacrifice
    - Mads Ericksen - Cure for evil
    - Mads Ericksen - Swet Relief
    - Gary Hoey - Peace Pipe

Zoso
    Last edited by zoso; 01-24-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Great thread Eric, i Love this kinda stuff. To that list, i'd add 'Europa' and 'Samba Pa Ti' by Santana. I'm not sure 'Samba Pa Ti' is neccesarily a 'Ballad' as such, dunno, but then again it would be on any of my guitar related or just general cd compilations .

Oh yeh...i'd add (suprise, another santana tune, lol) 'Victory Is Won'. How do you guys rate that tune? i know a lot of ppl arn't so fond of his 'supernatural' phase, but id put that instrumental up there with his best. I love it

'Until We Say Goodbye' by Satch.

I think i would add 'Hidden Creek' to that list also. Not tryin to kiss *** or nothin, lol, but i think thats a great tune!
    "The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart.
    The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace."

One Odd Duck
    Eric for some reason I was surprised to see you list Buckethead, wouldn't have thought he was your cup of tea. You didn't happen to meet him in your days at G.I.T. did you?

"Monsters and Robots" makes me smile!

Take Care!

Freakshow,
    I havenīt met Buckethead yet, but I really really like his music.
    A few years ago, a lot of people told me abotu him, so I decided to check him out.
    The first album I bought was "Colma". Simply because it was the first one I found at the store.
    Took it home, it took me a couple of spins to get into it ( it was pretty unexpected stuff ), but then I was hooked.
    To this day, itīs one of my all-time favorite CDs, I never get tired of it. I love "Whitewash", and the first few notes in the second solo of "Machete" still give me goosebumps.

Then I bought "Monsters & Robots", which, as you know, is very different ( which shows ya how versatile and talented this guy is ). I liked that one too... some killer riffs and grooves and some insane stuff. Canīt listen to it 24/7, but when Iīm in the mood, I enjoy it. Same goes for "Bucketheadland".

About a year ago he released "Electric Tears", and that one completely blew me away. What a beautiful, personal, intense album. You know, ever since I had first heard "Colma" I knew that that guy really has something to say, and is not some "shred only, sound like a machine" kinda guy.
    I think he has a lot of beauty and sadness to share, thatīs what I hear in "Colma" and "Electric Tears" ( and i.e. "I Love My Parents" ).

I canīt wait for "Colma 2", I heard heīs working on that.
    Anyway, I also love his whole routine... the mask, the incognito thing ( even though a lot of people know whoīs behind the mask these days ), the robot-motions etc.
    A student of mine showed me a video of his solo from the GNR-tour, and I was amazed by the entertainment factor of what he does. Very entertaining, very unique, very weird =)

To me, a very very talented player who has a lot to say, whoīs very versatile, and hopefully keeps putting out records.
    Eric

One Odd Duck
    Eric, you may want to check out Cobra Strike "13th Scroll", this is probably his most straightforward album. "Giant Robot" has been re-released and is readily available, I think this would be something you would enjoy.

I didn't care for "Electric Tears" at first, but I am gonna give it another try here momentarily.

I saw him live when he opened for Primus and that dude gets those footlong fingers flying, makes it look really easy!

I am eagerly awaiting his much overdue two disc DVD release.

Take Care!

Eric,
    I love "Ghostwind" by Steve Morse. "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" was one of the first instrumental ballads I fell hard for. I would add "Contact Lost" off of Deep Purple's Bananas CD to the list. Definite, heavy Steve Morse influence. An etheric, haunting melody and absolutely takes you elsewhere.
    Janice

P.S. Szulc,
    Is Don Juan related to Carlos, the writer ("A Yaqui Way of Life", "Journey to Ixtlan" etc.)?

The Loner -- Gary Moore
    Lenny -- SRV
    Pork Pie Hat-- Jeff Beck
    Intro to Fight the good Fight -- Rik Emmet
    Daydream Live -- Robin Trower (Has some Vocals)
    Little Wing -- SRV
    Rain in the Tunnel -- Michael Lee Firkins
    Szulc's Site

Szulc

Freakshow, I have "Giant Robot" and like it a lot.
    Regading "Electric Tears", I know itīs quite different from his other albums, but I enjoy listening to it tremendously... itīs very beautiful.
    I didnīt even hear about a DVD coming out, thatīs AWESOME !
    Anyway, about a year ago I heard that "Colma II" was to be released in March of 2003. Well, that didnīt happen, but I am still looking forward to it a lot.

Janice, yeah, I figured you like "Ghostwind"... itīs one of my favorite Morse-tunes, as you probably know. "Contact Lost" is a great suggestion. Such a bummer it isnīt longer, but hey, what can ya do ?
    There is that tune, "Voices From The Canyon", by that awesome player from DE, I canīt quite remember his name right now, maybe I should add that too . Talk to ya soon

Eric

PArt 5

Shaman,
    thanks for your comments, I feel honored that you consider "Hidden Creek" a worthy addition to those compilations. At the same time, I always feel weird about listening to my own tunes, I hardly ever do.

Anyway, even though it seems Iīm going over the edge, I am working on Part V, and YES, I do listen to other music than guitar ballads too

A Prayer For Peace - Neal Schon
    After The Goldrush - Michael Hedges
    Air - Jason Becker
    Always With Me, Always With You - Ron Thal
    Amadeo - Rob Balducci
    Angel - Neil Zaza
    April Sky - Vinnie Moore
    Blue - Yngwie Malmsteen
    Coasting - Gary Hoey
    Contact Lost - Steve Morse / Deep Purple
    I Love My Parents - Buckethead
    Melodia - Neil zaza
    Rain - Neil Zaza
    Rubina - Joe Satriani ( live version from the "Time Machine" live CD )
    Tender Surrender - Steve Vai
    Watching From The Light - Vinnie Moore

Eric

No probs man. 'Tis a good tune, and i enjoy listening

Always With Me, Always With You - Ron Thal
    Any way you could help me out with that - i've searched high and low around the net just for a way of hearing it. Of course i've looked for the album to buy, or an album which features that track, but i havn't been able to find that. Nor have i even found an mp3, .rm, streaming etc, etc version - i just want to hear the cover!! I've never heard anyone pull off that song like Satch, but i've heard Thal does a very good Job?

You can download three tracks of the tribute album it was on right here at amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

( if the link doesnīt work, go to amazon.com, and search for "Crushing Days: Tribute To Satriani" )
    Scroll down to see the download links.

Ronīs version is quite different, he uses some weird sounds ( monk chants, a flute sound, vocals doubling some lines ), but I really like it. He took the song somewhere else instead of playing it note by ntoe.
    The solo ( even though itīs pretty low in the mix ) is beautiful IMHO, but very emotional and a bit wacky... check out how he slightly changed the tapping-part
    Hope youīll like it
    Eric

PS: Youīll have to sign up for an amazon-account, which is free to, and if you ever wanna purchase anything there, youīll need that anyway. I guess itīs ok to do that, the soundfile is well worth it =)

Awsome! Thanks man. Downloading now....I guess search engines arn't always as sucessful as they should be, for some reason i just couldn't get hold of this. Cheers.

About Buckethead I only have Giant Robot album. I’d like to hear the other albums, I like the way he plays, very talented guy.

Zoso

Glad to see you added Watching From The Light from Vinnie Moore. That and Rain I think are great tracks. There's a track called "Only Time" by Chris Brooks, which is a nice one. There are sound samples on www.chrisbrooks.net, but unfortunately he has most of the album, but not Only Time

You could also grab Eve by Dream Theater. It's one of the songs that didn't make the cut for Falling Into Infinity, though I think it may be quite an old song. It's not necessarily guitar driven, but it's Dream Theater... so it's guitar driven There's also Hell's Kitchen, which is pushing its luck as a ballad, but is a nice track nonetheless.

Hmm, Pain of Salvation. There's Dryad of the Woods, from the Remedy Lane album. That's a nice one.

I'm sure there are more locked away in my head somewhere...

Thanks for the recommendations, Potshot.
    Are all those instrumentals ?

Yeah, I love Vinnieīs songs and style. His song "Coming Home" from the "Meltdown" album is one of my favorite instrumentals ever, I even quoted one of the melodies in my song "Eyes 2 Die 4". I really dig the whole "The Maze" album, lots of variety, awesome riffs and melodies ( "King Of Kings", "Cryptic Dreams"... ), great playing.
    He also is an extremely nice and funny guy.
    Eric

Hey Eric. Yep, they're all instrumentals. Chris Brooks' album is an instrumental in a similar style to Vinnie's playing. I've mentioned him a couple of times on IBreathe over time, I think. Anyway, check it out if you're interested. Eve is an instrumental, which is sorta half guitar led, half piano led, hence why I said it wasn't totally guitar driven.

I was going to suggest the two ballad pieces from LTE 1 and LTE 2, but someone already beat me to it.

About Vinnie... I'm only just getting into him, so The Maze is the only album I have at the moment. That "In The Healing Garden" track... was that in a Bond film? I can only imagine it was, otherwise surely he'd have to pay some kind of royalties for using the main theme? Anyway, I reckon it's pretty cool and would be good in a Bond film. A friend told me he thinks it's a bit 80's, so I told him it must be Vinnie's style, since it was released in 99