Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Christmas Chord Solo

Lightbulb White Christmas Chord Solo

This thread is to support this article http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/139

.. and is open for any questions, queries, your own recording of the tune, etc ...

Looking forward to the discussion.

Guni

Sweet stuff! I'll work on it this afternoon Great article Guni!
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Hey hey Guni! No questions yet, thats a great arangement, working on it now. Christmas doesnt make me particularly happy, but this year ill finally have somn "christmassy" to play for that fat aunt of mine

Cheers Guni!

Originally posted by Koala
    this year ill finally have somn "christmassy" to play for that fat aunt of mine
    LOL

Looks (and sounds) great. Thank you SO much for posting pdfs also, I switched to Mac since I've started visiting this site and the heavy use of powertab really sucks for me.

As a side note, if anyone else downloads the pdf to their Mac OS X system and can't see the notes (gibberish) you need to go to http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php and download the truetype font and then copy it into /Library/Fonts then it will work

Have my last final today so I'll probably start working on it tomorrow. Woohoo!

-Dan

Hey Guni, just forgot to say, that adding the link to the article thread is a great idea which should probablly happen in all articles so it keeps all questions on it neat and tidy and in one single place for the future. great idea.

And, this arrangement of yours sounds great on banjo, the lent me one for 2 days, and im just working it out on it....a beauty!

Hey cool - any chance of posting a soundfile? I'd be interested in how this sounds.

If i make it to the studio in the next couple of days thats a positive.... i should keep some mics at home shouldnt I lol

Guni do you play the first four bars barring with your first finger or do you play it a finger to a string?

Cool article. I believe this may be slightly out of my skill range but I wont know till I try right? Gonna give it a shot after work.

Originally posted by Koala
    Guni do you play the first four bars barring with your first finger or do you play it a finger to a string?
    Let me call it halfbarring - so it's not a real barre - just enough to fret the root notes - and slightly touching all other strings (to mute the high e-string).

Gotcha, thanks.

Guni,

It sounds really smooth!

How would you go about doing a couple of choruses of improvisation?

Would you continue to try to keep the 3 parts going or weave around the melody, keep the bass, what? maybe trade 4s with yourself?

I can build chord melodies that sound OK but when I start to do lines by myself it can sound a bit thin.

hey guni, thanks for the GREAT song, i'll play it on christmas and then say "ok, now one of you do something" lol i do have a couple of questions concerning the theory behind the song, i've taken the basic "theory 101" class in college, so i have most of the diatonic stuff learned, but some of the chromaticism i don't understand, i guess the question is, why do some chord voicings work, how do i know if i'm writing something if it will sound good when i use nondiatonic chords and whatnot, just wanted to reiterate that that is a really cool song, thanks again

Originally posted by gregburt
    Would you continue to try to keep the 3 parts going or weave around the melody, keep the bass, what? maybe trade 4s with yourself? [/B]
    Yes, I would stick to the form - although I wouldn't go through the ending in 3/4 - you'd need to create a turnaround to come back to the beginning instead.

In terms of soloing I would stick to the melody at first, filling in the space that the melody leaves. Then perhaps go a bit further out - maybe throw in some walking bass line here and there, quote a diferent tune , there are many possibilities ....