Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone thought of making a chatroom

Has anyone thought of making a chatroom

I have a question ....

i've got no idea whether this has been brought up or not ... but i was wondering if anyone had thought of creating a chatroom for everyone here to be able to chat in one area ... shoot the breeze etc....

might be another good way to get to know each other better to....

being a newbie-ish forum person thingy (sorry .. got carried away there) ... just thought i'd throw that out ....

ok .. i'm done .. my rant is over ....

** Base not your joy upon the deeds of others. For what is given can be taken away. NO HOPE = NO FEAR **

Mod
    I like this idea alot, but I'm sure it could take awhile to get into effect because of the changes occuring on the site.

well that all depends ....

i use IRC quite a bit .... so i could (for example) create a room on the IrCQnet servers .... which would also allow a Java applet of that room on the site here ...

setting up a room there would take no more than 10mins ....

but there are other chatroom facilities too .... just depends one whether those who run the show think the idea has merits .. and what kinda chatroom they would like .....

i only threw it out as an idea .... as i thought it could benefit this forum greatly ...

would be nice to get more feedback though.. hahaha

but either way .. it's still a great spot for musicians (guitarists in particular)

cheers.
    T-Jay

Mod
    PM guni and clive they will let you know whats up, they are both really busy so it could be a while for a response. Thats cool your volunteering

I get the feeling most people stop in here during work, or a few times throughout the day, or at school or whatever, and dont have time to sit and talk. Even then it would probably only be a handful of people who actually found something to talk about consistantly enough to go and chat about it.

I'm not trying to sound condescending, it's just the way these things always seem to turn out. The only way I see it possible would be if it was held something like once a week, at a certain arranged time, but then this seems to be a fairly large international community, so that might not work out either. At the very least, the UK is about 5 hrs difference from me here on the east coast of the US, and that alone is enough to present problems. 8pm your time is 3am mine, and any earlier than that and people are probably still busy.

This is just my opinion. I'd be interested in hearing what others think/if there is indeed a worthwhile demand for it.

I agree with Larry. I've tried this before on another guitar forum and had like 2 visitors in a whole week (I kept my client on IRC 24x7) it was an utter failure. People pop on here, read the crap. Make a quick post and get off. I do think maybe a weekly meeting or something could be fun but a fulltime chatroom would be a waste.

Still if you'd like to try don't let me stop you, I'll try to drop by when I can.

-Dan

Cool

That's cool ...

was only an idea i threw out anyway

Mod
    I'm on here quite often and see people I'd like to talk to, and if anyone wants to IM me on AIM speedyguitar13 is my screen name

We actually did some tests with chatrooms (IRC based, php based, etc ...) because I was just curious - somewhere on the site there's still a beta for an ibreathemusic IRC channel with a web interface ...

There are a few issues with chat that made me not proceed with integrating it further...

1) if it's only casual talk there's always MSN and ICQ, etc ..

2) if it's informative, how do we make this info available to the public, eg index it, make it searchable for anyone without actually being part of the chat. Without chat, this information would be displayed as posts in the forums.

What it came down to was that a chat would be useful for special occations - say a chat with Mr XXX about a certain topic. Such an 'event' then could be logged, maybe summed up, put into an article and published on the site again.

now that's a cool idea .. guess u could even create a room in yahoo ...

what if it were to be an ibreathemusic social room ... except for special events ... ie. Steve Vai is bored sh|tless one night and decides to have a Q&A ..... during that time the room is used only for that special event .. and anyone socially chatting etc .. is warned then booted out ....

just an idea .. but i like the special event thing ....

IMHO the chat room would distract folks from posting thoughtful messages. You'll need to record endless protocol of chat sessions to review interesting discussions. The ideas have to get stored and sorted properly like they are at IBreathe. MSN & ICQ are pretty much enough for communication online.

PS: Guni, Clive - IBreathe is lil' sweet poppet - just a cutie! I like the chnages!

Zatz.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

Yup forums are just easier to keep up with and to search in the future so id really stick to this format. But if you ever feel like talking just phone me LOL.... that ought be expensive

Hey Koala,

would this # work?

+52-55-MR-KOALA

Though you must have 8 digit local number I guess...
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

Hey Zatz! Close, very close and yes it is an 8 digit local....

Man if i said itd be expensive i think wed both hafta seel our kidneys to pay for a phone call from ukraine lol

Why not try it for fun ?
    If you can access the IRC-net ( i.e. by using MIRC ),log on to a random DALnet server... channel: #ibreathe
    IŽll be in there for a while...
    Eric