Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scale Positions on guitar

Originally posted by LarryJ
    I'm not sure what the Bes scale is...but anyways, I learned a neat trick I'm using, and that is to memorize the scales as patterns, like you would a chord. Now, obviously you dont fret it like a chord, but the shape is pretty distinguishible usually, and I find that really helps me after a few go throughs (this only works with the 'dot' reprisentation of scales, not tabbed out) it easily commits the pattern to memory.
    Still sounds to me that your E-scale has a different pattern as your G-scale...? 'Memorize the scales': you're learning different patterns for every scale...? If so, that's a waste of time! You only have to learn ONE (big) pattern in order to play every scale all over the fretboard...

I don't memorize the scales as patterns: I only memorize the patterns, with which I can play any scale I want anywere...

I still wonder if we are talking about the same thing here or not... It doesn't really matter to me, but it would be a pity if someone (you or anyone who is reading this topic and is trying to learn from it...) uses a very complicated way of doing things, when it is really quit simple... That's why I keep on asking!

P.S. By Bes I mean B-flat or Bb (that's how we call it here in the Netherlands).

Well, I'm referring to the major scale here, not indiviual scales. I am memorizing the patterns like you would might 'picture a chord'. Thats the best way I can think of saying it, instead of indivual notes, think of each pattern as a 'shape' or a chord, when learning them, and it helps to visualize/remember what notes fit in the 'shape' (pattern). Sorry if thats confusing. Also the dot-type i mentioned is exactly what you sent me, where it uses dots instead of tabbed numbers, obviously this makes it easy to picture as a chord shape.

Its not a new way of memorizing scales, just a little trick that helps to do so.

Okay, got it now. So we were talking about the same after all... I though you were talking about individual scales.

Sometimes it's quite hard to explain what you mean in words (for me, anyway...). If we would site right beside each other, we all would understand everything in a second!

Who knows, in the future, when we will gather here using superfast webcams and actually see each other in a virtual jam room! WOW!

:: Sings :: Dream on, Dream on, Dream on, Dream on J/K actually the technology is already out there, maybe in the next couple of years it'll be cheap enough for all of us to afford it.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Still, it's a bit strange... I suddenly realize that we quite often don't (really) appreciate what we already have!

My 'dream' about really seeing in each other in a virtual room is great, of course, but when I see what we already have now and compare that to 10 years ago... Or even further, the seventies, when I started playing guitar...

I mean, here I am, on this forum, 'talking' with others about playing the guitar! People from all over the world, all kinds of ages, races, colors, different backgrounds, etc. etc.! There is a mighty big change that if we would have met in flesh, we would never have talked to each other! There is no prejudice here at all, and everybody is equal (although some are more equal than others, of course... )

But I'm already taking it for granted that my question posted here is answered by a 54 year old guy from Russia of a 14 year old kid (sorry ) from Japan (for example). Or by a newbie who plays guitar for 3 months or someone who has toured the world: in 'real' life that newbie would never have dared to talk to that pro as he can do here! He even wouldn't have had the opportunity!

And thanks to this all, I have learned (here and on other internet places) more about playing the guitar during the last month or two then I did the last 25 years...!

Awesome!

And things will only get better and better...
    Last edited by hellogoodbye; 10-29-2003 at 10:14 PM.

I hate skewing the topic further, but anyone ever tried jamming over IM/MSN messenger etc? I know they have direct connect features where you can talk using a microphone, in real time... so I'd imagine with a high speed connection (cable/dsl/college etc) it would probably work out alright, and you could play things for eachother. Only problem would be getting a good sound and loud enough for a mic to pick it up (unless you hooked a real mic to the comp, instead of one of those computer ones like I have)

PDF File

Hellogoodbye,

Could you please send me the PDF file you spoke of earlier.

Thanks!

Please mail to:
    bryan@weepingangels.com
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny. - Frank Zappa

I've attached the pdf to this post, so everyone who wants it can get it. Saves me a lot of time...

Edit:
    You have the same icon as LarryJ... I already thought: I already send pdf to you! But he is not you and you are not him. You might consider changing your icon. Or is it the same on purpose...? Not that I have anything to do with it, of course...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hellogoodbye; 10-30-2003 at 03:35 PM.

hellogoodbye cheers for that pdf file. I've been looking for somthing like that, it'll really come in handy. Thanks again
    "The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart.
    The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace."

Originally posted by Shaman_Santana
    hellogoodbye cheers for that pdf file. I've been looking for somthing like that, it'll really come in handy. Thanks again
    Thank you!

It's always nice when people say 'thank yout: it seldom happens, you know...
    Of course it's not the reason for making and spreading the pdf file, but I have send this file to about 30 people and 47 people downloaded it from this (and another) topic, and your reaction is the fourth 'thank you' up to now. Guitarists are so ungratefull...

Come to think of it... maybe the others didn't react because they think the pdf file is worthless crap...

Sorry to say it, but get used to it... itīs the internet
    Eric

Thanks Bro!

Just checked in and saw that you posted the PDF file. Thanks a bunch! That was totally cool of you.

Rock On!

Vai Fan
    Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny. - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by hellogoodbye
    Thank you!

It's always nice when people say 'thank yout: it seldom happens, you know...
    Originally posted by EricV
    Sorry to say it, but get used to it... itīs the internet
    Eric
    Originally posted by vai_fan
    Just checked in and saw that you posted the PDF file. Thanks a bunch! That was totally cool of you.

Rock On!

Vai Fan

Well, this is the internet too!

Thanks for pdf!

I love pdf format - some kind of a quality sign for me.

Zatz.
    Zadd9 -> A6 -> T#9b5 -> Zmaj7

Getting in a little late ---- Hellogoodbye's post here and one other place that I can not find right now peeked my interest as we both seem to use those 5 patterns ---- and in my teach yourself approach -- I've taken it even simplier.

Using the 5 patterns and hooking them together I can take any scale/mode up the neck turn around and come back down to the root starting position thus use the fretboard from say the 2nd fret to the 15th fret for that scale or mode. I think this is the Big Picture pattern Hellogoodbye speaks of. I only have to get the starting pattern and root note in the correct place from there you just move to the next "pattern" where your little finger left off, except between my #2 and #3 where you back up one fret. Just keep going letting your little finger tell you where you are.

Now for how I use all this.

1. I first look at the chord progression I'll be playing over and see if it's Major or minor. Now as the patterns talked about are numbered differently - same patterns just different numbers, I'm going to use their mode names:

Position 1 Ionian -- Major
    Position 2 Dorian -- minor
    Position 3 Phrygian -- minor
    Position 4 Mixolydian -- Major
    Position 5 Aeolian -- minor

If the progression is Major I play Major mode/scale patterns.
    If the progression is minor I play minor mode/scale patterns.

Once all that is accomplished I now only have to decide on the mood I'm in and then start on the mode that gives me that sound --- and then march up and back the fretboard playing in that mode and or Major or minor scale.

Now one of these days I'll have to slow down and learn what notes I'm playing, well as I'm 69 years old now, maybe not.......

Quick review:
    Learn the 5 patterns
    Learn how to hook them together so you can walk up the neck
    Know the notes on the 6th string so you can place the root note
    Look at the chord progression -- or the scale to see if it's Major or minor
    Use Major or minor mode patterns that fit the mood I want to play in.

Hellogoodbye -- nice to see your post as I thought I was the only one wading around in that part of the music theory creek. Those PDF files are now stored deep in my hard drive. Appreciate the effort.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 10-01-2004 at 07:55 PM.