Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Eric's Picking Article

Central Scrutinizer

Talking Eric's Picking Article

First I want to thank Eric and say great job with the Art of Picking Article.
    Second youíll need to download this to have any idea what Iím talking about (hint)

Ok hereís how Iíve approached the exercises. This might be helpful to somebody and also helpful to myself as somebody else might see something differently and open my eyes to something else.
    Anyway, first I played through all 7 examples (with a metronome of course) as suggested in the article. I then noted my top times. After a couple days of this I took a second and third time category. The second time category was the point at which I noted a problem becoming extremely obvious (ex. 4 finger pulling away etc.). The third time category was the tempo at which I saw the seeds of the problem being sewn into my muscle memory. Sadly enough this is a very small number
    Well thereís 6 one string exercises on this page (actually 1000ís if you make up variations). Well 6 may not be a large number but its bigger than 1 so I started ripping apart the very first exercise. After ripping the left hand apart I noticed (and Iím being extra picky) several things such as: The pinky flatting out, pulling to far off the strings and wanting to react when the ring finger moved, wanting to wiggle a bit when second finger moved etc.
    What I did then was to make up little exercises to work on the problem. (No rocket science here. If you notice your pinky pulling away, work on not pulling it away.)
    I came up with about 6 little thing I could do that was directly related to the problem.
    Ex. Play just fingers 4 to 1 while letting the 2 and 3rd hover relaxed and close above there frets, or 3 to 1 not allowing 4 to react etc.
    Well I came up immediately with 6 little exercises (there could be lots more), but keep it simple so I went with 3. I then proceeded to do my little exercises at a whopping 2 clicks a note at 60 bmp. (Yes thatís 2 clicks per note, half notes, at 60). This requires lots of concentration and patience so the smaller the better. I feel with this kind of stuff if your mind ainít in it your wasting your time. Your programming your subconscious which is a lot like programming a computer and if youíre not careful your bound to put something in there you donít want so Be Very Aware.
    Anyway Iíve spent about 30mins everyday doing just this seemingly boring kinna stuff. It can be boring if you let it. I find it very meditative and relaxing. I also find a little mediation before this is good to quite the mind even if its just sitting quietly and controlling your breathing, or a little pranayama, or simply just stretching your body out (touch your toes, windmills etc).
    Ok, ok so whatís the point: The point is after about 5 days of doing this my top numbers on all exercises have increased by roughly 10 points. The number at which the problem looks hideous has increased roughly the same. And Iím up to roughly one click per note at 60 on the little exercises.
    Now I myself canít see a major change in my hands while actually playing, that is outside of the extremely slow practice (one click at 60 kinna stuff) its not noticeable to me. But somethingís going on. And that something is positive.
    I also spend bout 30 mins doing the fixed exercises Eric suggest. If you blew those off thinking (Leave my fingers down! What is he nuts!) Donít! There great in more ways than one.
    And I pick a few measures from the Morse etude and spend bout 10 mins a piece on them.
    P.S. Iím available for instructional video testimonials

NP-Jeff Beck (Truth)
    Last edited by The Bash; 07-26-2002 at 09:20 PM.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Hi there....

WOW ! Thanks a lot. This is a really cool addition to the article, and I am glad you found some interestign points in it.
    Most happy I am about the fact that it obviously helped you to improve a bit or at least get inspired ( or get ideas ) to do so... thatīs a great reward for me ( and until Guni starts to send me the monthly $20.000 I am asking for, it will be enough... )
    Thanks a lot
    Warm regards
    Eric