Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Arpeggios

Cool Arpeggios

What are arpeggios exactly, can I use them in riffs as well as solos and when do I use them???

Thanks, Guni!!!

Guni..

It says in your article,

"Record a Cmaj7 vamp (3 minutes) -- now let's say we focus on the root. Try to improvise using only the note C . Our first fingering includes twice the root which are an octave apart (on A and g string)"

I don't get this, how do you improvise with only one note?

Well, your improv will be more of a rhythmic improvisation if you just pick one note (ie a certain interval)

The point though is that it's more about visualizing where these intervals are located on the fretboard.

- improvise with one certain interval only (like the root) in each position
    - visualize the entire pattern when doing this
    - sing what you play
    - incorporate guitar specific techniques (bends, slides, etc....)
    - expand the range to the entire fretboard (that's quite a challenge)
    - use a chord progression while sticking to the same interval
    etc etc ....

And as soon as you add another note, say the third, an entire new world and possibilities will open up ....

I plan to write an article about this 'minimalistic' approach (based on a Blues progression) as it really helped me with breaking out of the patterns and gave my playing more intention and confidence.

Guni

oh okok, thank you.

I have a question about the Improvising with Arps article, I have never encounterd them before and I also do not read music for the guitar, on the first page I went through and learned the scale pattern for the Cmaj7 Arpregio, underneath the boxs of Cmaj7 Arppegio/voiceing, etc... are a list of fingerings with some notated music above them in 4/4 time. The lesson sais I should explore those fingers but I dont understand how to apply them to the cmaj7 voicing or the Cmaj7 Arpeggio that I just learned. So my question is again, how do I use those fingerings? and how do they apply to the Arp/ Voicing of Cmaj7 that I just learned. Hope my question is Clear, thanks for your help, have a nice day.

Hi Gunnan,

Your talking about this right?:

Maybe Tabs help. Attached is a zip file with a powertab file so that you can listen to the example.

Basically, it's what the notation in the above image implies, ie Cmaj7 arpeggio played over Cmaj7 chord/voicing.

In case you don't have powertab I included an image and midi file.

Hope that clears things up - if not, let me know

Guni
    Attached Files Attached Files

So I simply play the notes listed in the tab using the fingerings under the notation?

thanks alot for your help friend. Have a nice day.

Yes, that's it.

You might wanna try to 'improvise' with the available single notes - use them in a different order - use a different rhythm ...

Guni