Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Jazz backings?

Jazz backings?

I'm looking for some basic beginers jazz backing tracks. I have power tab. Anyone know of any?

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    See this thread and the URL therein. I found quite a few MP3 and MIDI files there, and I think PowerTab imports MIDI--not sure.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...backing+tracks
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Hey, thanks! That worldjazz site's really cool.

IbreatheMusic Author

Lightbulb

Jazz back-up tracks for practicing? ... Get the program band in the box. It's around $100 and is easy to use. You can program grooves and chord changes. Enjoy! Pete

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    Band-in-a-box is cool.
    I have it. I also have jazz backings to band-in-a-box for the whole jazz real book.
    Last edited by Anubis; 09-14-2003 at 02:59 PM.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Now that's useful information. You may also want to look at the independent Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) user's site:

www.biabgroup.com

I had no idea this stuff existed.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

hundred bucks? ahh...what's in this program? I'm just using power tab =D

I hate Band-in-a-Box, you should defintely try the demo before you buy it. (http://www.pgmusic.com) I think all computer science majors should be required to use that program for a day as it commits every single unholy sin of user interface design there is. Ick.

-Dan

Check out http://www.visionmusic.com/ It's a pretty amazing jazz guitar lesson site that I think also has backing tracks.

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    I hate Band-in-a-Box

IbreatheMusic Author

Talking

You guys are very funny. I'm sure there are many options for jazz background tracks. Just find one and make it happen! I used to use Band in a Box ... it worked. I make my own now... that is the best way. If you can't play rhythm well ... your soloing will never get to the level you want it to. So don't forget to practice the rhythm parts to anything you are practicing soloing for. It has been a while since I have posted my recomendation for band in the box. I hope you have found something. If not, just record your rhythms into anything and get it going. Also, there is nothing quite like live players... find a way to jam or get into a jazz combo class if you can. The ideas on the forum are great, but make a deadline for a decision and "just do it". Good Luck!.. Pete

For Jazz backing tracks and learning to play jazz in general I strongly reccommend Jamey Aebersold books (with cd backing tracks). These are the real deal. They are one of the main teaching tools in jazz.

These cds often feature world class musicians (Ron Carter! Kenny Barron!! Ray Brown! Cedar Walton! David Baker! Come on.) playing the backing tracks. The beginner books are for beginning _jazzers_, meaning if you are a rock n' roller it may take some study (it sure did for me) just to get to the starting line on this kind of music.

You should read standard notation at least a little (preferably better than that) you should have the ear skills to be able to follow a jazz chord progression as it is being played... *(and if you don't have that skill the aebersold books are a good place to develop it) and you should know enough theory to be able to solo on chord changes (rather than expecting every tune to be in one key so you can just use a scale on "the key" and boogie.)

-- Aebersold Method books I like: How to play and Improvise, and Time to play music. For beginning tunes: Nothin' but blues, and Maiden Voyage. And IMO a must for guitarists is Vol 30a Rhythm Section Workout for keyboards and guitar. The tips in that book (for all the insturments) are valuable... hearing the guitarist comp is very illuminating, hearing him solo and seeing the solos transcribed is also illuminating, and the tunes go from easy to challenging and are all fun. A great book.

Playing straight ahead jazz guitar takes some real study -- It just does. If you don't love it, don't bother with it, because getting the time and energy together to study jazz without really loving it -- I just don't see that happening.

For more on Aebersold, go to jajazz.com -- Ya know, I spend so much time pushing his product I think I'm gonna write him and ask for a job, SERIOUSLY. Why not?

About BIAB. I don't see how anyone can hate it __if____ they've got a decent soundcard with decent midi.

It's a very good tool for study in my opinion... the only danger is thinking that it's the be all and end all of musical learning. I've heard people go round the bend on BIAB and start worshipping it, sacrificing goats and family pets to it... not good... but at any rate who cares what I or anyone else thinks.... the demo is pretty darn functional... give it a test drive.

Doug.