Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Modal interchange and borrowed chords+soloing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Modal interchange and borrowed chords+soloing

Hi all,

I've been looking at modal interchange for chord borrowing and soloing tips and had some questions:

1. So, I can use the modal interchange idea to borrow chords from the 7 parallel modes from the same root note (e.g. C Ionian/Dorian/Phrygian/Lydian/Mixolydian/Aeolian/Locrian). Looks like this is the same as borrowing chords from 7 different Major Keys (e.g. C/Bb/Ab/G/F/Eb/Db Major). But does modal interchange show how to borrow from the other remaining 5 Major Keys (e.g. A, B, D, E, Gb)? Most sites only cover parallel modes when discussing modal interchange, but to cover these cases, seems some 'non-parallel' modes are also needed (i.e. C# Phrygian/Dorian/Locrian/Aeolian, Cb Lydian). We can still borrow chords from these other 5 Major keys, right? And we can still use the above 5 modes for soloing over those chords, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something important ��.

2. For modal interchange, sometimes a borrowed chord can come from multiple modes (e.g. In the key of C, Ebmaj could be from C Dorian/Phrygian/Aeolian, maybe others if we consider parallel modes of Harmonic/Melodic Minor as well - need to check). So, I can try using these modes when soloing over a borrowed chord to explore new sounds. But some modes are a struggle (e.g. C Aeolian is good over the Ebmaj above, but having difficulty making the C Dorian work - something with the natural 6 isn't clicking for me, but the b6 in C Aeolian sounds good and 'makes sense'). Are there any tips on selecting a good mode to use for soloing over borrowed chords when there are multiple options in the chord/scale charts? Also, sometimes it's hard to make use of the new notes in the new mode I selected, even if approaching the new notes by half-step. Any ideas that can help make them "work" without avoiding them entirely?

Thanks,
    Shaun
    Last edited by shaunp; 12-21-2019 at 08:37 PM.