Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Is this a chord progression?

Is this a chord progression?

Is 'I-VII-I-III-I-VII-VI-I-VII' a chord progression?

I think this is a kind of high level progression

...yes, for absolutely beautiful Music with first inversions of the Major and minor Triads for I-VII-III-I-VII-VI-I-VII, especially when harmonized, for example, all of the Pitches of the Triads in the Key of C... with full Orchestral Strings of a Professional Virtual Studio Technology Instrument in a Digital Audio Workstation with an electronic Music Keyboard as MIDI controller!

A chord progression is the progression of chords. A chord progression is not limited to simple combinations and sequences of chords, as rhythmic figures and time-signatures are not limited to real-note values (we would never have triplets, to say the least) within common time, as movements and compositions are not limited to simple forms of beginning, middle, and end only... Introduction, Development, and Finale... for example, Resolution is at times Suspense... as there are Opening Cadences, not merely Closing Cadences... fully including dynamic articulations of the notes of the Intervals and Chords for production of the musical effects of Resolution, Final Resolution, Suspense, and many other music- and musical effects... and not even limited to use of the same chords - chord articulations, chord inversions, and chord forms - as if there are only limited acceptable- and accepted musical sounding chords, chord articulations, and chord forms of Chord Progressions to preclude any- and all other use/s of musical sounding chords, chord articulations, and chord forms of a Chord Progression... Movements and Compositions often end on High Notes... after ascending to high flourishes, with flourishes in higher Pitch Ranges... Developments (we would not even have Developments of Music Compositions, not even Developments with Music Composition Variation Techniques... we would not even have Variations, not even New Arrangements, of Music Compositions) often end with Suspension, as Unresolved, for a Segue... with Tension or with no Tension, or, with Release of Tension, or with No Release of Tension... dynamic Articulation/s for Articulation/s of Tone/s, of Mode/s/Mood/s... you can confirm in, yes, definitive reference Chord Progressions books used in the most advanced- and prestigious Music/Composition Theory classes, with, yes, Music Composition Theory included in the definitive Chord Progressions reference books, and, yes, Chord Progressions of Cadences... Canons... Sections... Movements... Compositions... of famous Composers discussed in biographies, autobiographies, yes, of the famous Composers: Required reading in the most prestigious Music Schools.
    Last edited by PRJ Sokolich; 09-01-2019 at 09:49 PM.