Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: is there such thing as "major minor seventh chord"?

is there such thing as "major minor seventh chord"?

Hey all,

I know there are Minor major seventh chords which is a regular minor triad but with a major seventh added but is their a "major minor seventh" chord as well? Would it be a regular major triad with an added minor seventh? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm fairly new to music theory.

Sure, It's a 7.

Yes. In fact, this is probably the most common type of seventh chord.

The "Dominant Seventh" chord is V7 in the key a fifth below it. So G7 (G-B-D-F) is V7 in C major/minor for example (it is not found diatonically in any other key).
    V7 typically resolves to I (the tonic triad). It can also move deceptively to vi.

The usual method of naming a seventh chord is to name the quality of the third then the quality of the seventh. Thus a major-minor chord is the usual dominant seventh chord formation, in the key of C, this is G-B-D-F; the G-B interval is a major third and the G-F is a minor seventh. A minor-minor seventh would be G-Bb-D-F and a major-major seventh would be G-B-D-F# and the (more rarely used in my experience) minor-major seventh is G-Bb-D-F# (though F# could occur as a non-harmonic tone over a G-minor chord.) Chord symbols are not completely standardized over either geography nor styles of music. However the symbol G7 is take to be G-B-D-F as that is the most common seventh chord with G as a root.