Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Simple Progressions But Can't Figure out Key Signature

Question Simple Progressions But Can't Figure out Key Signature

Hello all. Newbie here, sort of stuck/confused.

Here is a music theory question that I've tried to research online, but am finding it impossible to come up with helpful search terms. I have literally no formal music education (beyond junior high band), so please be gentle. :P

I have a few things I've written that I cannot figure out the key signature for. It's not that they have a bunch of accidentals (none, actually)... but rather that they just don't seem to fit a specific key.

Here's an example... one uses this chord progression Am7 -> C -> G6/B. Looping this progression and improvising the melody and/or lead ideas that "feel" right, I never use F, nor do I use F-sharp. They both just sound very wrong, regardless of how and where I try to work them in. (I experimented with a 1/4 step bend up from F, which was interesting, but still wrong.)

What the heck is going on? How can a relatively ordinary sounding chord progression lead to this "void" where nothing sounds right? Obviously, this could be notated as the key of C (Am), or G... but why do both F and F-sharp sound out of place?

Many thanks for any help understanding the theory behind this... or even just what the phenomenon is *called*, so that I can research it.
    Last edited by Digita1Man; 03-24-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: formatting was weird - no post preview on this forum?

Neither F nor F# are really out of place, and which one you use (most) is what determines your key signature here. F and/or F# here don't seem quite as "in" as the rest of the notes of C or G because they're not directly represented in any of the chords of the progression, whereas every other note in the C or G scale is. If you improvise melodies using F natural, turning your C into sus 4 when played over the C, or turning your Am7 into an Am13 or your G6 into a G13, your telling the listener your in Am or C. In that case you could pop a passing Dm7 ahead of the G in the comp and nobody would hear anything funny. Play a D7 there and it'll sound weird. If you use the F# in your melody line for a few go-rounds, on the other hand, you'll establish a key center of G, and a passing Dm7 will sound "wrong" ahead of the G and D7 will sound really good.

So, in summary... Playing Am7->C->G6/B doesn't, by itself, establish whether you are playing in C or G. Only the presence of F or F# either in melody or a passing chord will tell the ear which one it is...

With that said, you could also put the E of your G6/B in the Bass instead of the B, which would turn it into an Em7. That would create a cadence back into the Am7 which would establish Am. Play that in the comp a few times and an F# in the melody will sound "out" even without a series of F's ahead of it to establish the key center.

That's my thought anyhoo!
    -J
    Last edited by jjjtttggg; 03-29-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll absolutely try out your thoughts (I'm particularly interested in the Em7 in place of the G6/B).

The biggest problem I've had is that I (literally) have not been able to get a single F or F# to sound right, and not for lack of trying, either vocally or on guitar. I was sort of expecting someone to chime in with something technical like "hexatonic ambiguity was a feature of early 14th century pop music, where the 4th was omitted by necessity due to dissonance stemming from..."

(Or something.)

Another possibility is to end the piece by breaking the loop. Instead of following the C chord with a G6/B, insert a Dm7 followed by a G7 followed by a C. This would clearly fix the piece as in C. (And inserts the note F for that matter.) Another possibility is to insert a D7 then G7 then G (getting both an F and an F#) which sounds a bit different. A key isn't really established without some sort of cadential gesture. The G7/B to Am7 sounds fine, but not very final. Classically, it's a deceptive cadence; the ear is lead to expect a C but gets an Am instead. One could just finish with a C instead of the Am but that might sound a bit abrupt. By adding a D7 or a Dm (or an F or Fm for that matter) sort of sets up the expectation that "something" is about to happen. You could just fade out but that's a copout. Jjjtttggg's suggestion is OK too; the point being to have a root movement by a descending fifth (G to C or E to A) to set up the ending. Again one could precede the E7 by Dm or B7 or Bm.

you don't have a subdominant chord in your progression, so F has no place. except you can insert it in the far end of the G chord to make it into an unbearable tensioned G7 wanting to resolve back.
    if Am chord was without the G tone then it could have been more convincing if you played F over this chord, making it an Fmaj7.
    Last edited by James Shaormer; 04-01-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Am C6 G6/B didn't contain any tritones. Both F and F# would introduce that interval, F#--C and F --B.

It's possible that you want a very clean open sound with no tritones. Purposely not including certain notes can be useful. I use it in celtic music the most.

Of course I also believe in being able to get any note to work. Your 1/4 step bend idea was a positive step in that direction.