Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: question on frequencies for guitar chords aswell as diatonic scales

question on frequencies for guitar chords aswell as diatonic scales

I was looking to form chromatic scales so I was curious as to if anyone knew the formula to find the overall frequency of a chord to make sure that is infact chromatic in the scale your trying to use it in. I don't want to be using chords out of the third octave if the scale I'm trying to present is out of the open chord groups. I'm looking for better and more information on chords in a diatonic scale. ive found different variations of this but I was hoping to find a better answer seeing as how every key isn't exactly the same and they can vary to show or excentuate different sounds in a major or minor chord one variation of a scale I found is a G major I g, g6, gmajor7,g6/9,gmajor9
    ii Am, Am7, Am9, Am11, Am13
    iii Bm, Bm7, Bm7add11
    IV C, C6, Cmajor7, C6/9, Cmajor9, C6/9#11, Cmajor9#11
    V D, D7, D9, D9(13)
    vi Em, Em7, Em9, Em11
    vii F# half diminished, F#m11flat5, F#m11flat5flat13
    ive found a even more drawn out version but I'm not about to type it all. so my biggest question starts at is there some sort of equation I can use to figure out which chords to use for a more general overall sound. my next question Is about octaves and its a matter of is there an equation to find the mean or somthing of that nature of the note frequencies of a chord to find which chord will better fit into the octave group that you are trying to chromaticly make like I wouldn't want to play a ton of open chords and pretend all bar chords are the same and play a barred g major and act like it fits. that's all I can think of at the moment but I have a few others so if they pop in ill hit you with those too. thanks for the vast knowledge in advance.

I'm not sure I understand what you're after...

But music is not an exact science, it's an art. "Equations" and suchlike are not likely to make good music.

If I were you, I'd start with the basics; just diatonic triads, get some experience with them first.

i think she is better left off as a science because to me its more of a chemistry experiment as opposed to random strokes of paint on a canvas. I'm looking to be able to make chromatic scales because I can find a deffinate answer anywhere so like stated I don't want to use the wrong chord when I'm ascending and make it descend you know? like if I'm trying to yell across the parking lot I don't want to start whispering mid point and start yelling again becasuse youll misinterpret my whisper more then likely. and I'm looking to do this with 9s 11s and 13s as well because all ive found is 7s and major and minor for diatonic scales

I'm not sure what you mean by frequency, but the old saying goes, "If your going to measure something it depends on the length of your stick." Musical tones aren't set in stone as specific frequencies. Trying to make them that way has had composers chasing they're tails for centuries. In fact it's impossible and the natural harmonics of a string prove it. By building a perfect scale using pure resononant frequencies, tonality shifts when going up or down threw more than one octave a tiny bit uncontrollably. This is called True Temperament adversely it sounds amazing in one octave. Look it up, standered guitars are equal tempered like most instruments and actually are inherently imperfect, but octaves sound great. I could be wrong but I think the modern standered A is 440hz give or take 20.
    Last edited by Jacob; 11-27-2016 at 03:12 PM.