Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Hi, music theory/knowledge lovers!

Hi, music theory/knowledge lovers!

I like all kinds of music, but mostly the language/languages of music (rhythm, harmony, timbre, dynamics). i'm interested in basic stuff like the roles of the diatonic or chromatic tones in a key. like what's the role of a C in a Aminor key for example. also i'm fond of Hindemith's interval root theory. this is harmony, and i'm also very interested in rhythm which i study, or research i should say, because i can't find theories about it. this is also about basic (but hard-almost impossible) stuff. like the rhythm of a motif or a musical sentence, and how it differs/contrasts from another. i read a book about this -Generative Theory of Tonal Music - F. Lersahl, R. Jackendoff , but i think my research is more advance. for years i've been trying to find a buddy to help me with my research in rhythm, but right know i almost 80% nailed it. < very underrated this rhythm theory.
    yes, so this is me.. i hope i can find someone that is interested in the same things i'm in and we work together to find the answers.
    Last edited by James Shaormer; 07-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

I Will say, if you don't know what the role of C in the key of A Minor is, then "generative theory" might be a little advanced in relation to that. Yes you are right - rhythm is "understudied" compared to pitch and harmony. But I suppose it depends on what your "research" and "theory" delves into.

Best,
    Steve

i'm always taking long breaks from music study so i keep forgetting or better said transforming information in my head. i red a few conventional books in the distant past about harmony but i found them unpractical (for me). they quickly get to fancy stuff like modulation or avoiding parallel fifths etc. that's like trying to write novels when you can't write a basic sentence.
    oh about the C tone, it's pretty complex i red, that's why i gave this example. while the root between A and D interval(forth) is clearly D, and it has a "subdominant" feeling or in my terms an "away" feel, Hindemith calculated the root between A-C (a minor third) interval to be neither of them, but a major third down the low tone, that would be F. (basically saying they belong to a silent F-A-C harmony in which F -the root is missing). he says that if we were to choose, A would be a better choice for the root, but my ear doesn't help me.
    anyway i have to brush up on my knowledge before i start asking (painful) questions on this forum.
    thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by James Shaormer; 07-21-2016 at 07:25 PM.