Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Song changes from 3/4 to 9/8, what happens to bar duration?

Song changes from 3/4 to 9/8, what happens to bar duration?

January 26, 2016 12:31AM

Hi all, my first post here.

Recently I was given the music of a song that our choir is working on, and I was asked to make an arrangement as the backing for our performance.

The song starts off in 3/4 timing but during the chorus it switches to 9/8, then back again to 3/4 later on.

I understand that 9/8 is like playing each beat of a 3/4 bar in triplets. My concern is with the actual duration of each note(quaver) and consequently each bar. Some members of the choir maintain that the notes in the 9/8 section should be played with shorter durations so that the overall bar would last the same as in the 3/4 sections of the song(effectively played as 3 x triplets in each bar). Others seem to think that each note should still keep their original duration, resulting in each bar lasting 50% longer in real time(9 quavers = 4.5 crotchets = 150% of a 3/4 bar). I myself am tending to agree with the later but not 100% sure and would appreciate some clarification.

Hope I have made myself clear here. Thankyou all in advance.

What happens is up to the performer. The two choices you gave, either quarter=quarter, or quarter=dotted_quarter are possible. The composer (or arranger) should provide information.

If nothing is said, I'd probably go to a triplet feel (old quarter = new dotted_quarter).