Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Guitar Fills

Guitar Fills

First, fills...what i think of fills and what i relate them to.

I think of fills as phrases to connect 2 sections together.
    I relate guitar fills to a fill like a bass fill or a drum fill and not so much in the context of call and response.

My question is what notes do you use to create a guitar fill ?

Is it kinda like 2 guitars in 1, where one person is playing harmony and the other person is playing lead.
    Except it's just one person playing and in between chords there's a guitar lick?

Well whenever I jam with someone, diatonically, I use the entire diatonic scale.

In the context of guitar fills, do you need to simplify it up a bit and use the pentatonic scale ?

Say we're in the key of C, and the chord progression is I -vi - IV - V and the next section starts with vi...
    C - Am - F - G to Am...

and you just wanted to play 1 fill in between the last chord and the first chord of each section, to spice things up, arrangement wise,

Is there hard and fast rules to what notes you can play ?
    Do you use chord tones that belong to that particular chord or can you branch out ?
    Last edited by iWasHere; 12-20-2015 at 10:53 PM.

There are several things that could be done. Inserting a chord before the Am chord would fill nicely. OK which chord. You could insert an Asus 2 or 4 before the Am chord. Sus chords having no 3 beg to go to the parent chord that has the 3 or b3.

The following post should point you to something called back cycling. Backcycling fills in nicely. http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...hp/t-8383.html
    Last edited by Malcolm; 12-28-2015 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    There are several things that could be done. Inserting a chord before the Am chord would fill nicely. OK which chord. You could insert an Asus 2 or 4 before the Am chord. Sus chords having no 3 beg to go to the parent chord that has the 3 or b3.

The following post should point you to something called back cycling. Backcycling fills in nicely. http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...hp/t-8383.html

Thanks Malcolm,
    Do you mean I could use the chord tones of an Asus2 or Asus4, to create a lick, that goes before the Am chord ?

If not, I'd like to share what I mean by a guitar fill.
    This is the song supermassive black hole by Muse,
    Muse - Supermassive Black Hole.mid
    it contains one of my favorite guitar fills.

In the intro, at the end of the 8th bar is the guitar lick, it gets played again after the end of the intro, which goes into the verse.
    The verse plays for 8 bars, and the lick gets played again, before going into the chorus.

I cut the clip short
    Last edited by iWasHere; 12-28-2015 at 04:36 PM.