Hi guys? I have this article on the Circle of Fifths, but have seem to lost the authors name on who wrote it. Luckily, I had saved it to my computer, but here is what it says...

In this lesson, I will talk about how to play chord progressions in Circle of Fifth and Circle of Fourths. I found the secret on how to transfer, when playing in one particular mode in a key, and going straight into the same mode, I played in the previous key, into a new key that is a circle of fifth forwards or a fifth backwards all by starting from the original root key note.

What I am saying is learning how to play the same chord progressions you were playing in the original key, and playing them in the Circle of Fifth or Circle of Fourths and back into the original key; and also trying to figure out what two notes and what two keys are a perfect fifth forward or backwards from the original key you are in. For instance, in the key of C, let’s say we were to go up the scale in the key of C, from C to D to E to F and then finally stopping on the note G. As you can see, we went up five spaces to get from C to G. So the fifth scale degree or note that is in the key of C, which is a perfect fifth, is the note G. And that is how you find your new key that is a fifth upwards!

Now when we move from playing a particular chord progression such as a (IV–V–I) in the key of C, and then moving that same chord progression into the key of G - that they call – learning to start out playing the same chord progression in Fifths – forwards! You’ve basically moved the chord progression a fifth forwards from the key you were originally in. Now we just figured out our new key to play in, that is a fifth from the note C, which is the key of G.

Now what about playing chord progressions in fourths? There are so many ways people teach you how to do it. But this is how I like to find my new key when discovering the Circle of Fourths… Anyway, so now let’s use this method to find our Circle of Fifths (or Fourths) key. For instance, in the key of C, let’s say that we were to go down the scale in the key of C, basically starting on C and going from C to B to A to G and then finally stopping on the note F.

As you can see, we went down five spaces to get from C to F. Now I know that note signifies F Lydian, but that note just indicates of that - that is the new key that we can move our same chord progression (IV-V-I) into which would be the key of F. So the fifth scale degree or note that is in the key of F is the note C. Going from C to F backwards in the key of C, is the note of our new key – the key of F. And that is how you find your new key that is a fifth downwards! So you basically have these two new keys to play in that are associated with the key of C. The key of F (downwards when playing in the key of C) and the key of G ( upwards when playing in the key of C) And so basically, how I look at this concept is…

If you were playing a chord progression in a particular key and wanted to play that same chord progression you’re playing, but in the Circle of Fifths, you go up a fifth from the root or the main note that is in your particular key – that is how you find your new key that is a fifth upwards! If you were playing a chord progression in a particular key and wanted to play that same chord progression you’re playing, but in the Circle of Fourths, (and this is how I do it) you go down a fifth from the root or the main note that is in your particular key, and you find the note that is a fifth backwards in the key your in – and you start playing your same progression in that new key – that is my way of looking at finding the Circle of Fourths.

Now some people might criticize me for doing it this way, but there are many ways to figure how to go about learning playing Circle of Fourths and Circle of Fifths chord progressions on the guitar or piano.

His he correct on this subject?