Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Question from my friend

dwest2419

Question from my friend

Hi guys? I have a question from my friend who lives in Dallas, TX. He says he's been playing the guitar for three years now, and he wants to become a better improviser. He also says that he practice scales a lot, but he doesn't know anything about targeting chord tones. He wants to know that when it comes to improvising, when playing over a C major chord or any other chord what notes are good to start and land on???

Quote Originally Posted by dwest2419 View Post
    Hi guys? I have a question from my friend who lives in Dallas, TX. He says he's been playing the guitar for three years now, and he wants to become a better improviser. He also says that he practice scales a lot, but he doesn't know anything about targeting chord tones. He wants to know that when it comes to improvising, when playing over a C major chord or any other chord what notes are good to start and land on???
    Chord tones are notes that are in the chord.
    If you know plenty of shapes for each chord you know, you don't need to know the note names.

Eg, a C chord has the notes C E and G. To target those freely you either need to know where every instance of each note is on the fretboard - or you need to know every possible shape for a C chord. (There are 5, and they all overlap).

And of course that applies to every other chord...