Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Frustration : how to deal with it ?

Frustration : how to deal with it ?

Hi,

I'm David. I'm a local guitar teacher in a small town. I don't have much income, i spend a LOT of my time practising, and working pretty hard in a lot of areas of my life.

To me everything is kind of connected : your overall feel in life translates in your playing/songwriting.

And here's the deal : my life seems to suck at the moment. I've been through a lot worse times, but i feel like : i suck as a player, i suck at life (no girlfriend, spend most of my days alone practising), and yes, i feel like i'm a joke, actually. I have these song ideas i can't finish, so i make other songs instead, they're improvised, and they suck in comparison with the stuff i'm writing but can't finish. I need more students, and to build rock-solid self-confidence.

But that, i don't know where to start. What is self-confidence, as a musician, and as a person, and how to build it ? How to break through this seemingly thick and high wall of confusion, boredom, "idk where i'm heading and can't really define the music genre i want to play". Actually, how to strengten my mind, make it clearer, more focused and a lot more confident ?

Sure lots of you have been there in the past. And sure it's just me not doing the right things. I know i can make my life awesome, i know i can be an awesome musician, and i know can become that person i always been, deep inside. Get the things i deserve : being successful at what i do, knowing why i do it and how, and knowing where to head. and ...

Sorry for the messy post. Hope you'll send a message.
    Last edited by metalmonster; 07-25-2014 at 05:25 PM.

You don't say how old you are. That would be critical in what you should do.

If you're young (ish) twenties to mid-thirties - You're young and frustrated. Yes, everyone goes through it. Some call it writers block. You can walk away for a little while till the juices start flowing again. Or you might want to hook up with a jam band, other musicians and just play.

If you're in your late thirties or older, music should be something you do just because you have to. I pick up my guitar everyday and play for myself. Which reminds me of a song I wrote for exactly that -

http://youtu.be/mAvdGPjbY80?list=PLBD0C83EADB2F0302 (yes you can laugh)

As far as your life goes, you need to get some order to it. I can't help you there, I'm a mess and enjoy it. But, the mess that is your life is probably the reason you're frustrated musically. Have and beer and get a date. Or have 6 beers and no date. In a perfect world it's both.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmonster View Post
    Hi,

I'm David. I'm a local guitar teacher in a small town. I don't have much income, i spend a LOT of my time practising, and working pretty hard in a lot of areas of my life.

To me everything is kind of connected : your overall feel in life translates in your playing/songwriting.

And here's the deal : my life seems to suck at the moment. I've been through a lot worse times, but i feel like : i suck as a player, i suck at life (no girlfriend, spend most of my days alone practising), and yes, i feel like i'm a joke, actually. I have these song ideas i can't finish, so i make other songs instead, they're improvised, and they suck in comparison with the stuff i'm writing but can't finish. I need more students, and to build rock-solid self-confidence.

But that, i don't know where to start. What is self-confidence, as a musician, and as a person, and how to build it ? How to break through this seemingly thick and high wall of confusion, boredom, "idk where i'm heading and can't really define the music genre i want to play". Actually, how to strengten my mind, make it clearer, more focused and a lot more confident ?

Sure lots of you have been there in the past. And sure it's just me not doing the right things. I know i can make my life awesome, i know i can be an awesome musician, and i know can become that person i always been, deep inside. Get the things i deserve : being successful at what i do, knowing why i do it and how, and knowing where to head. and ...

Sorry for the messy post. Hope you'll send a message.
    I am also frustrated because my playing sounds bad! it is as if kid was playing. I know I will never sound good . I don't thing it can be practised. If you sound like an idiot you sound like an idiot and little can be done about it.