Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: I need help identifying where cadences belong

I need help identifying where cadences belong

I'm learning how to harmonize melodies. I have read it can help to find the cadences first. I just watched a very clear video on choosing chords I, IV, or V for Perfect, Imperfect, and Plagal cadences. Here's a link if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPP4V-9rgDM

My question is, how do I identify where cadences belong in the melody? Do I play it over and over so I hear where I think they belong? Is there a way to see where they belong by reading the melody?
    Thank you for any help,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by srogers View Post
    I'm learning how to harmonize melodies. I have read it can help to find the cadences first. I just watched a very clear video on choosing chords I, IV, or V for Perfect, Imperfect, and Plagal cadences. Here's a link if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPP4V-9rgDM

My question is, how do I identify where cadences belong in the melody? Do I play it over and over so I hear where I think they belong? Is there a way to see where they belong by reading the melody?
    Thank you for any help,

Sam
    Yes.

Take on Happy Birthday:

C-C-D-C-F-E / C-C-D-C / G-F / C-C-*C-A-F-E-D / *Bb-*Bb-A-F-G-F

C7/ F-C7 / C7-F / F-(F7)-(C)-Bb / Gm7b5 (Bbm6)-F-C7-F

Most of this tune consist of a Perfect Cadence - note I think he may be confusing terms: Perfect and Imperfect refers to how the chords are arranged or Voiced - he is not talking about voicings! I knew this the minute he mentioned the last cadence name. Plagal. The former to names should be - Authentic, Half or Plagal. There's another called Deceptive (V-vi as an example) These rules for more for part-writing which is VERY strict!!

But to answer your question, most songs start and end on I; also, in major and minor keys, we often see an Authentic Cadence (V-I; V7-I) Half cadences, see the Authentic Cadence reversed - I-V or I-IV - Plagal, again is IV-I (don't exclude the minor versions (i-iv-v)

Heres the Harmonic Analysis:

V7 / I-V7 / V7-I / I (I7) (V/IV)-V-IV / ii (iv) / I-V-I

I also realize this is from the UK and not the US as there are some differences, so if any users from there could add his or her input.