Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: speed talk

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    Cool to hear that little story about Santana Bongo Boy.
    My guess is that Santana does something that touches people in a way that is hard to understand.
    Something in the way he plays it touches many people.
    There's also a touch of eroticism and sex in his playing something that is also quite obvious for those who have read an interview with him.
    In one interview I read recently he said:

"You should put five things into every note: the soul, the heart, the mind, the body...and the penis!"

He actually said that.
    Anyone who have seen his music videos can clearly see that there's a lot of good looking women in those videos.
    Eroticism is an important part in his music and I think women can hear that.

And here's another Santana quote:

"Remember your first French kiss when you play anything. If you play with the energy and feeling you had then, it's fresh"

Here's one more.

"Everything I do, I relate to either spirituality or sex, because they never go out of style"

The older I get the more I try to remember what guys like Santana and others like B.B King have said.
    I remember an interview I read with B.B King a long time ago where he said that a guitar solo to him is like talking to someone.
    You tell a story but you must also let the other guy have a chance to listen and you can't scream all the time or yell at them because then you would frighten them.
    I certainly believe that things like that can be applied to all kinds of music also shred guitar.
    For me music is all about painting a picture and telling a story.
    It's harder to tell a story on the guitar then if you use your voice but it sure is a challenge.
    For me the absolute goal of an instrumental song must be when people hear a song you have done and by just hearing the chords and the melody they say for example "This song reminds me of a sunny day at the beach"
    That was just an example but that is how I look at music.
    Joe Satrianis Summer Song is a good example of what I mean.
    When Joe wrote it he wanted to capture the feeling you have when you walk out the last day in school and you have the whole summer in front of you.
    I think he did an excellent job capturing that feeling.
    Steve Vai wrote some excellent articles about this subject in Guitar Player once.

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    No, I was serious and paying a genuine complement. Your written English is way better than that of most US citizens on the internet, at the very least.

Anyway...everyone appreciates the effot it must take. And the word you need is 'sarcastic', not 'ironic'.

THere, your personal English tip of the day!
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Anyway...everyone appreciates the effot it must take. And the word you need is 'sarcastic', not 'ironic'.
    He he..funny because after I read my post I saw it to.
    I often go back and edit things afterwards but you was to fast

I meant to write sarcastic.
    The thing is sarcastic and ironic means the exact same thing in Swedish as in English.
    We have borrowed those words from the English language.

Ironic is written as ironi in Swedish and sarcastic is written as sarkastisk.
    So as you can see it's pretty close.
    Last edited by Anubis; 08-27-2003 at 01:11 AM.

I also think your english is great (and Ironic is a synonym for sarcastic, either will work) an ironic statement is one made with dry humor. I think Bongo is thinking of dramatic irony (as opposed to verbal irony).

Beats my favorite web posters, "Doz NE1 now n e lickz" *shudders* drives me crazy.

Thanks for the recommendation on the funk video too! I love funk.

-Dan

Now playing: Tower of Power - Diggin on James Brown

Thanks DanF but wait until you see one of my off days then you will have to be an expert to understand my English

I also love people who writes in that style you mentioned
    No seriously it's the worst thing there is.
    It's very common among young teenagers these days.
    I often see people do the same thing in Sweden to.
    It drives me crazy.

Regarding funk.
    I have some extremely cool funk lessons in my computer.
    If anyone is interested in them just drop me a private message.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that Anubis has made some very good points here.

Now I'm an absolutely huge shred fanatic but I have to agree that good song writing, feel etc. are equally important.

I was impressed with he mentioned Iron Maiden, now I am a massive maiden fan (can't wait for the new album, only a week and a bit away!) and I agree, the writing of the songs is absolutely great and is why I like them. Dave, Janick and Adrian aren't shredders necessarily but they are great guitar players, they don't shred at a million miles an hour each solo, but it doesn't make me like their music any less. It's the song writing that makes me like maiden.

I like speed because it can be used well, and combined with tone, good bending and vibrato can expand your horizons greatly. I also think that that slow and fast playing should be balanced because just a million mile an hour solo with no breaks in my opinion leaves something to be desired.

So thank you Anubis, for finally introducing something other than the unfounded "they have no feel" point to the whole discussion.

So for a final thought......
    "Speed sure is something, but it isn't everything"

Ok, I'm done.

-Shred Fan

Thanks Shred Fan.
    We are both Maiden fans obviously.
    They have always been one of my favorite bands and I'm looking forward to the new album.
    To me it doesn't matter if the new album is good or not I love the band anyway

I will also see Maiden live in Stockholm later this year.
    I'm really looking forward to it.

The thing I like about Maidens guitar work is that it's so easy to memorize their lines and solos.
    Each solo is like a little story in it's own many times.
    Even though they do improvise some especially Dave Murray he still stays pretty close to the original vibe of the solo.

I have never really understood this slow is feel and shred is no feel debate.
    To me you can create the strongest feelings and emotions with a fast solo played right.
    Hey I get goose bumps of some fast solos but there are many slow solos that leaves me stone cold.
    If it has feel has nothing to do with if it's played fast or slow which some people believe.
    You can be sure that many fast players feels a lot and have the strongest emotions when they play.
    I think it's important to remember that we are all different individuals and react different to what we hear.
    Some people get a kick out of fast music and solos and others from listening to slow music and slow solos.
    Some people get a kick out of driving their motorcycle very fast while others get a kick out of driving a Harley Davidson very slow.
    Some people like fast action movies and their emotions runs high to that kind of movies while others prefer slow movies where they talk for 3 hours and almost nothing happens.
    Music is an art and you create pictures for others to listen to.
    How people will react to these pictures is an individual thing.
    Slow doesn't necessarily have to mean feel.
    If that was the case anyone could record a slow solo and people would love it.
    There's a whole lot more to a slow solo that will make it emotional.
    But the same thing is true for fast solos.

Finally here's some words from Al Di Meola

GW: What's more important: learning to play a lot of notes fast or learning how to get the most out of a few notes?

Al Di Meola: You need both abilities: to be able to sing a melody and play with space, and also to have the requisite technique to play the most intricate music.
    That makes you more complete, and able to play a wider variety of music.
    It's a bunch of bull**** every time guitarists say, "One note says so much more than 100." I always laugh at idiots who make that claim. Tell that to a flamenco player or a classical player and see what they say. It's almost a defensive reaction. They take something they lack, attack it, and claim they never wanted it in the first place. Sure.

Banned
    you guys must think that i play pure speed and no melody whats so ever. im sorry if you guys think of me that way but i have also possted that im a big jazz fan i play really melodic and play some fast licks. Anubis i understand what you mean about everything. i just dont play fast sorry if i made seem that way. its true evryone can play fast if they do what you said about being really into it. i also think that anyone can improvise like robben ford if they set their mind to it and play it a lot like you would play 16 notes at 200bpm. but im sorry to break it to you but every guitar players tries to play fast. what i meant when i said that every guitar player would play fast. robben ford plays fast to but in his own way, he plays some fast blues lciks dont he? i didnt mean they would shred. every genaration is better. when Y.J.M came out he was the fastest guitar player on the planet, that was 84. in 2003 shredders like rusty cooley can play faster than him. the music in shred today is more complex harmonicaly speaking than those in the 80s. just because guitar players today dont play solos in their songs or you dont hear them on the radio doesnt mean there isnt any good guitar players out their. its a fact that every genaration is better. here your talking about chet atkins finger technique just after saying that i think its all about technique, saying nobody can copy it, what about paco delusia, a lot of flameco guitar players i mean the real good ones can finger pick like hell. robben ford can play the blues better than those of the 50's. stevie ray was the king of blues adn in my mind he is the best. isnt it strangethat ive only been playing for two years and i can play a couple shred tunes. each genaration is better, if not humans wouldt have invented all these things we have, we would still be using that bone as a club. humans learn of each other and then do it better not every one but a lot do. its a fact. i totally agree in speed melody and good music, why cause i also like it. i just play fast at home. how can i not like a nice song and melody when i like jazz! i play fast but it makes sense.

About that swizzep thing.haaahahah. i know a lot of people dont like me here so i knew that if i did something like someone would rest until they found out it wasnt me. i know people are agaisnt it and they dont like it, but come on now its not gonna heart anyone on a little site like this. so if i offended anyone im sorry.

even tough its fun to argue about guitar and speed and music i know were im not wanted and so before they banne me again from this site i wanted to clear things up. since i didnt get to post my lessons you can check em out at chops from hell.com they e mailed me back that i could write lessons as a guest colominst.

im sure that their wont be any threads with over a hundred posts on this site. well i know im not wanted so this is my last post
    Peace
    neo shredder(Adrian Amaya)

Adrian, just don't go and make that attitude a permanent feature, since it will lead you nowhere good. It's not just the damage to ibm that bothers me, it's where that attitude will lead you in the long run. We all share the same world, you know? It was fun chatting with you. You seem like a witty kid with lots of energy going.

I was holding my breath, hoping for you to show some remorse for what you've done, and hopefully apologize for it. That is all it takes. Just remember it's never too late to change, whenever you feel up to it sometime in the future. I hope soon.

Just a few things that relating to

some things I read here.

There is no better or worse when it comes to players. They are different, you can't compare.

I am also a huge Iron Maiden fan. When I was about 10 years old, I heard the album "Killers". It was the first time I heard that type of music (heavy metal), and I was hooked for life.

I used to be more of a shreder before, and used to listen to all types of players. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife), sometimes had no choice, and had to suffer through a lot of shred records. She could not get anything out of that music, and didn't understand what I got out of it.....

....then one time, she goes WOW, who's that? That playing is so sexy, and beautiful, it has a very sexual vibe!!!! (first time she ever liked one of my guitar albums). I said, that is Jeff Beck. She had heard of him, but never heard his music before. Since then, she became a huge fan, buyng the rest of his cd's, goig to concerts, etc. As for me, I started to play more sexy stuff.

The way of pride doesn't lead anywhere I've had problems with bandmates that were that way and invariably they either changed or eventually got out of the band... music is art and people share art, we share it with the audience, bandmates, friends... that's what IBM is all about!! We're all sharing the little knowledge we have to make better musicians of each other... arrogance and such attitudes have no room among us... so Adrian, when you are ready to change your way you're welcome to come back.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Could anyone explain what he meant about the "swizzep" thing? Maybe an admin could just say a little about why he was banned etc? Might help future new users.

-Dan

The "swizzep" thing refers to a soundfile of some kind of sweep-etude he posted... an MP3.
    But that etude was written and recorded by someone else, Jonezter ( posts over at Guitar Tricks ). Neoshredder had said that he had recorded the soundfile over at a friends house.
    Personally, this doesnīt surprise me a lot, since it happens a lot on the web anyway. We talked this over, and basically, are dealing with stuff like this on a "no tolerance" base.
    I mean, some harsh language and stuff is still tolerable, but stealing someone elseīs work like that and claiming itīs yours ainīt funny at all. Itīs not some kind of a "Whoopsie, it was an accident" type thingy either.
    Everyone should be able to figure that itīs definitely not a cool thing, thatīs why the account was banned. He came back under a different name, and personally, I donīt think it would make sense to ban every account he makes up. Itīs silly.
    But I think people might think a bit different about his future posts etc.
    We will soon add some rules about stuff like that, although I still believe that behaviour like that itīs kinda obvious that that kinda thing ainīt cool
    Eric

Originally posted by el guitaro
    About that swizzep thing.haaahahah. i know a lot of people dont like me here so i knew that if i did something like someone would rest until they found out it wasnt me. i know people are agaisnt it and they dont like it, but come on now its not gonna heart anyone on a little site like this. so if i offended anyone im sorry.
    Seriously, I like jokes a lot.
    But that kinda stuff is just not right. Nope, you didnīt hurt anyone, and yes, itīs the net, stuff like that happens a lot, but... donīt expect people to believe you after pulling a stunt like that.

When ya make comments about what a talented player you are, and the only soundfile you post is actually someone elseīs... well, it doesnīt exactly add to your credibility.
    If you donīt have the tools to record your playing, be careful about what you say... you seem to be aware of what kind of stuff is going on on other boards, so you should have known people would eventually ask you to prove your chops.
    If you canīt really play the stuff you talk about.. well, donīt say you do. Maybe you can, maybe you canīt. I dunno. And sine the Mp3 you posted isnīt yours, it will be tough to convince people that you actually can play that stuff.
    It also wasnīt cool to post someone elseīs licks without giving him credit ( Luis Moreno ). You did after he pointed out that the licks were his. AFTERWARDS.
    Imagine that would happen to you. Donīt tell me youīd think itīs cool.
    Remember, even though itīs the net, these are real people youīre dealing with, and when you lie or cheat, someone will find out eventually, and people will remember.
    This is not one of the "my favorite player is better than your favorite player"-type of flaming war-board. And the ibreathe-staff plus some dedicated members will try to keep it that way. Thatīs the reason for the ban
    Eric

Amen Eric, absolute agreement and support from me.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"