Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Dorian guitar lick

Dorian guitar lick

Hi guys

Thought I'd share this dorian lick with ya'll. It's intermediate/advanced level... there's TAB on the video itself

You can try it out on a jam track made for G dorian, like THIS ONE

ENJOY..
    Last edited by meritonemusic; 11-11-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meritonemusic View Post
    Hi guys

Thought I'd share this dorian lick with ya'll. It's intermediate/advanced level... there's TAB on the video itself

You can try it out on a jam track made for G dorian, like THIS ONE

ENJOY..
    Yes, to the backing tracks. Love backing tracks.

The following is offered for what it is worth. When I went over to the bass I started thinking in Nashville numbers for chords and scale degree numbers for notes. With scale degree numbers I do not need tab as much as before. And yes I have nothing against tab, it's a tool and I think we should use any and all tools we need. Point of this post is to, perhaps, introduce another tool - if you need it. Using the major scale box pattern and the scale or mode sequences I no longer am a slave to tab. Improv became a lot easier. Offered for what it is worth. For example:

Code:
    Major Scale Box Pattern (two octaves)
    E|---7---|-R(15)-|-------|---2---| 1st string
    B|-------|---5---|-------|---6---|
    G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|--R(8)-|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---| 6th string
    Place the R (root) and the box will place the correct notes
    under your fingers.  Want Dorian, flat the 3 and 7.
    Scales
    Major Scale = R-2-3-4-5-6-7
    Major Pentatonic = R-2-3-5-6 leave out the 4 & 7. Three chord tones for harmony and two safe passing notes for color. Want to fake a solo? Pentatonic over the chord changes.....
    Natural Minor Scale = R-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 Major scale with a flat 3, 6 & 7
    Minor Pentatonic = R-b3-4-5-b7 Natural minor scale with out the 2 & 6. Yes here too three chord tones for harmony and two safe passing notes. Love pentatonic.
    Blues = R-b3-4-b5-5-b7 Minor pentatonic with the blue note (b5) added
    Harmonic Minor Scale = R-2-b3-4-5-b6-7 Natural minor scale with a natural 7
    Melodic Minor Scale = R-2-b3-4-5-6-7 Major scale with a b3.

Major modes
    Ionian same as the Major Scale. Seldom use Ionian as a mode, if I want that up beat happy sound the major scale gets me there. And I do not need a modal vamp, an ole chord progression works fine.
    Lydian use the major scale and sharp the 4 - yes, it’s that simple.
    Mixolydian use the major scale and flat the 7. If I'm going major, Mixolydian is the mode I normally use.

Minor Modes
    Aeolian same as the Natural Minor scale.
    Dorian use the Natural Minor scale and sharp the b6 back to a natural 6. If I'm going minor Dorian is the one I usually lock in on.
    Phrygian use the Natural Minor scale and flat the 2.
    Locrian use the Natural Minor scale and flat the 2 and the 5.

Use you major scale pattern - which ever one you use - and use the above scale/mode sequences patterns and see where that can take you.

Just use your major scale pattern and change a few notes and see what you can come up with.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 11-18-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

The following is offered for what it is worth. When I went over to the bass I started thinking in Nashville numbers for chords and scale degree numbers for notes. With scale degree numbers I do not need tab as much as before. And yes I have nothing against tab, it's a tool and I think we should use any and all tools we need. Point of this post is to, perhaps, introduce another tool - if you need it. Using the major scale box pattern and the scale or mode sequences I no longer am a slave to tab. Improv became a lot easier. Offered for what it is worth. For example:

Code:
    Scales
    Major Pentatonic = R-2-3-5-6 leave out the 4 & 7. Three chord tones for harmony and two safe passing notes for color. Want to fake a solo? Pentatonic over the chord changes.....
    Minor Pentatonic = R-b3-4-5-b7 Natural minor scale with out the 2 & 6. Yes here too three chord tones for harmony and two safe passing notes. Love pentatonic.

Major modes
    Ionian same as the Major Scale. Seldom use Ionian as a mode, if I want that up beat happy sound the major scale gets me there. And I do not need a modal vamp, an ole chord progression works fine.
    Lydian use the major scale and sharp the 4 - yes, itís that simple.
    Mixolydian use the major scale and flat the 7. If I'm going major, Mixolydian is the mode I normally use.

Minor Modes
    Dorian use the Natural Minor scale and sharp the b6 back to a natural 6. If I'm going minor Dorian is the one I usually lock in on.

Use you major scale pattern - which ever one you use - and use the above scale/mode sequences patterns and see where that can take you.

Just use your major scale pattern and change a few notes and see what you can come up with.

Have fun.
    Hey Malcolm

Thanks a bunch for all of that! Great info that people on here will surely benefit from!! Nice one...

Code:
    Scales

Major modes
    Lydian use the major scale and sharp the 4 - yes, it’s that simple.

Minor Modes

Have fun.

Great stuff, thanks Malcolm!

"use the above scale/mode sequences patterns" is what I believe everyone does in all cases. The only question for me is: should I play an Ionian that the Mode is based on, and simply remember within all 7 Mode patterns, where the root note of each Mode played happens to be located. OR should I memorize 7 totally unique Modal patterns, i.e. one pattern per mode.

I can't help but think that the later method is simply unnecessary, as long as you use the correct Ionian, and know where the root note of the mode being played is located (which is a far simpler task that accomplishes the same thing, but with a whole lot less wasted time and effort).

Quote Originally Posted by dhwflash View Post
    "use the above scale/mode sequences patterns" is what I believe everyone does in all cases. The only question for me is: should I play an Ionian that the Mode is based on, and simply remember within all 7 Mode patterns, where the root note of each Mode played happens to be located. OR should I memorize 7 totally unique Modal patterns, i.e. one pattern per mode.

I can't help but think that the later method is simply unnecessary, as long as you use the correct Ionian, and know where the root note of the mode being played is located (which is a far simpler task that accomplishes the same thing, but with a whole lot less wasted time and effort).
    Well.... it depends what you want to achieve. If you want to be able to solo a bit in each of the modes, the first method is fine. If you want to actually master the modes and be able to use the unique colours of each mode with intention - learning them as unique scales is the only way. It's all about knowing what to expect from each note.. it's really not that hard once you get started....

Lydian - sharpen the 4th... mixolydian - flatten the 7th... etc etc!

Here's a practice jam track which goes through all of the modes, but starting from the SAME point - so you can start memorising and seeing the patterns...

These individual practice backing tracks may also come in handy.

C Ionian backing track (C D E F G A B C)

C Dorian backing track (C D Eb F G A Bb C)

C Phrygian backing track (C Db Eb F G Ab Bb C)

C Lydian backing track (C D E F# G A B C)

C Mixolydian backing track (C D E F G A Bb C)

C Aeolian backing track (C D Eb F G Ab Bb C)

C Locrian backing track (C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C)

I hope that helps....

These individual practice backing tracks may also come in handy.
    C Ionian backing track (C D E F G A B C)
    C Dorian backing track (C D Eb F G A Bb C)
    C Phrygian backing track (C Db Eb F G Ab Bb C)
    C Lydian backing track (C D E F# G A B C)
    C Mixolydian backing track (C D E F G A Bb C)
    C Aeolian backing track (C D Eb F G Ab Bb C)
    C Locrian backing track (C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C)
    I hope that helps....
    Many thanks for the backing tracks.

Per memorizing all of the patterns for each mode.... I could have tried it 40+ years ago. I can't envision I'll still be alive if I set out to memorize 7 different scale patterns. Hence, my idea is to shift the appropriate Ionian's position and focus in on the root of the mode I'm playing.
    Last edited by dhwflash; 06-17-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Many thanks for the backing tracks.

Per memorizing all of the patterns for each mode.... I could have tried it 40+ years ago. I can't envision I'll still be alive if I set out to memorize 7 different scale patterns. Hence, my idea is to shift the appropriate Ionian's position and focus in on the root of the mode I'm playing.
    Fair enough! Although... it may be easier than you think Changing major into Mixolydian and lydian for example is just about changing ONE note, so some of them are easily achieved...

Fair enough! Although... it may be easier than you think Changing major into Mixolydian and lydian for example is just about changing ONE note, so some of them are easily achieved...
    I'll give it a try, as much of my playing already incorporates the essentials of Dorian, Mixolydian, and Aoleon, it shouldn't be to tough to give it a try.

As to whether or not, my seamlessly playing a combination of major and minor pentatonics (affording me a 10 note scale, rather than an 8 note scale/mode)... I've yet to put 7 note modes to the test to see if they offer anything over and above whet I am already doing.

Then again, you get really talented guys like: Kirk Lorange, and JonR who both advocate effectively playing to the chords in a song rather playing modes and scales. (I've yet to find where restricting lead guitar to arpeggios would not make your ears bleed.)

Veeeeeeeeeery good lick!!!!!

meritonemusic, just a short note that my current circumstances have me juggling so many things of financial importance that this will have to be postponed, and classified as a long-term project. Nevertheless, all of your responses are appreciated, and will be re-reviewed, when I get down to doing what I do to expand my pleasurable experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by jordiuriel View Post
    Veeeeeeeeeery good lick!!!!!
    thanks Have fun

meritonemusic, just a short note that my current circumstances have me juggling so many things of financial importance that this will have to be postponed, and classified as a long-term project. Nevertheless, all of your responses are appreciated, and will be re-reviewed, when I get down to doing what I do to expand my pleasurable experiences.
    all good - best of luck..... I often look at a quote I have written out... "there's nothing more important than feeling good - follow your bliss"... It is my experience that even with the troubles of everyday life, it's possible to focus on creating joy for yourself and others in the midst of it.....