Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to develop Perfect Pitch?

November 10, 2013 - I am now adding E minor in my collection of chords at DiamondEarII. It used to be only C, C#, D, and Eb Major and Minor.

December 4,2013 - I am taking a different path on Perfect Pitch. I plan to develop Relative Pitch first before I tackle the intricacies of Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch. But I have a lot of friends that are musicians with Relative Pitch and I have to say Relative Pitch is mighty enough. But I am not giving up until I hear the root note in Absolute Pitch. My Progress with Relative Pitch is that I am doing three - note melodic dictation on 'Do - Re - Mi' and today I got it perfectly. So I am adding 'Fa' next. I am also practicing chords such as I, IV, V, and the minors and diminished and complicated stuff later on. But today I made one mistake. I guessed wrong on the iii chord, I thought it was the vi chord. I am currently doing C Major and I am staying put on that key until I get it perfectly. I use the ReelEar software to help me practice Relative Pitch. I am also singing solfege syllables on the piano and later on I plan to take jazz keyboard lessons and guitar lessons. So I will learn a lot of chord voicings and chord progressions. I guess my approach is very tactile and I should develop Relative Pitch within a few years.

December 8, 2013 - I was doing Melodic Dictation at teoria.com and the good thing about this Melodic Dictation is that it uses the solfege syllables so it is perfect for me. I've been trying it for a few days and finally I got the 'Do - Re - Mi' perfectly. So I'm moving to 'Fa' and 'Sol'. There is also a game for chord progressions on Theta Music Trainer called "Speaker Chords" and it's nice. I actually progressed and I am learning I,IV,V, and vi chords.
    Last edited by Blanche_Minim; 12-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.

December 8, 2013 - I was doing Melodic Dictation with ReelEar and I did 'Do - Re - Mi - Fa' perfectly. Now I'm moving to 'Sol'. I also did "Speaker Chords" in Theta Music Trainer and I also progressed on that as well. The only problem is that I have to pay to play the full program. So I have to save money before I subscribe.

December 12, 2013 - I was practicing diatonic triads in the Key of C Major using Relative Pitch and I did it perfectly. Now I'm moving in the Key of G Major. I will be doing about 7 cycles on the keys so I'm not adding other kinds of chords until I master the sound of the diatonic triads.

December 20, 2013 - I was practicing diatonic triads in the key of G Major using Relative Pitch and I did it perfectly. Now I'm moving in the Key of D Major. I will be doing about 7 cycles on the keys so I'm not adding other kinds of chords until I master the sound of the diatonic triads. I'll be on minor keys shortly. Merry Christmas everybody and have a Happy New Year!

January 3, 2014 - Happy New Year Everyone! I was doing harmonic progressions at teoria.com and I did the I-IV-V in C Major perfectly. Now I'm adding G Major. One of my goals this 2014 is to recognize I-IV-V chords without flinching. That means mastering the sound of I-IV-V. Once again, Happy New Year everyone!

January 5, 2014 - I was doing harmonic progressions today at teoria.com and I did the I-IV-V triads in C Major and G Major perfectly. Now I am adding D Major and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Blanche_Minim; 01-06-2014 at 05:46 AM.

January 8, 2014 - I was doing Harmonic Progressions today at teoria.com and I did the I-IV-V triads in C, G, and D Major perfectly. Now I am adding A Major. I'm planning to get the P.I.T.C.H. software program by Jermaine Griggs. Have to save money first.

January 26, 2014 - I was doing Harmonic Progressions today at teoria.com and I did the I-IV-V triads in C, G, D, and A Major perfectly. Now I am adding E Major. I'm not just planning to get P.I.T.C.H. but I also found a program called Improvisor and it's perfect for learning melody. I'll get them soon.

Febuary 20, 2014 - I plan to audition at Humber College next year because they have a good jazz program. It is one of the best music schools in North America. What I like the most is their Aural Training. Four Semesters of Ear Training at Humber should give me Relative Pitch.

March 12, 2014 - Should I learn to play pipes in order to play by ear?

March 23, 2014 - I am taking guitar and bass lessons and I am reunited with my guitar teacher back in high school. Its a small world eh. His name is Jeff Scarrott. He has perfect pitch and I might ask fingerstyle and ear training lessons from him. So I have a different lesson every week.

April 14, 2014 - I already saved enough money to buy two ear training software programs that will definitely help me. However, I have to wait for my brother to come back to my home because he is good at buying stuff on the web. He is in residence right now in University and I'm waiting for him to come back.

I guess you've been at it for over a year, and are still committed to the idea of learning PP (for whatever reason - few of us here see it as an especially worthwhile endeavor.)

I just hope you've also been working on learning to play some actual MUSIC in that time too!!
    Last edited by walternewton; 04-15-2014 at 12:04 AM.