Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to develop Perfect Pitch?

IMO PP is a curse. RP is a skill. We had a guitarist that has PP, notice I said had, problem he was always stopping and re-tuning or worse leaning across and whispering; "Your a little flat." The guy was in constant horror of going out of pitch.

Drove us crazy, and as a consequence he stopped getting our monthly schedule of events and times.

Be aware - - -
    Last edited by Malcolm; 03-20-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    IMO PP is a curse. RP is a skill. We had a guitarist that has PP, notice I said had, problem he was always stopping and re-tuning or worse leaning across and whispering; "Your a little flat." The guy was in constant horror of going out of pitch.

Drove us crazy, and as a consequence he stopped getting our monthly schedule of events and times.

Be aware - - -
    Well, isn't that what guitarists do anyway when tuning guitars (or other instruments with the appropriate gadgets). I'm not disagreeing that it is irksome (yet, I do this myself, so I'm a hypocrite, lol). When someone's off, you can't help, but notice (and RP folk have this, too - just not to the most minute (as in small) of detail. But you're right. It is a blessing, but also a curse, but is the glass half empty or have full?

Yesterday, I was practicing single tones on Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch and then my Grandma interrupted me while practicing, because the laundry machine won't start. I went to the basement and I was able to fix the problem. The laundry machine finally started and while starting, I heard an Eb on the buzzer. That was one of my best Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch moments.
    Last edited by Blanche_Minim; 03-30-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Color of Music View Post
    Well, isn't that what guitarists do anyway when tuning guitars (or other instruments with the appropriate gadgets). I'm not disagreeing that it is irksome (yet, I do this myself, so I'm a hypocrite, lol). When someone's off, you can't help, but notice (and RP folk have this, too - just not to the most minute (as in small) of detail. But you're right. It is a blessing, but also a curse, but is the glass half empty or have full?
    It depends whether it was relative pitch or perfect pitch the guy was hyper-sensitive to.
    IOW, if he complained of someone being "a little flat" - relative to what? If to everyone else, then that's good. A guy worth keeping, IMO, and paying attention to.
    If it was just flat relative to concert A=440 - a perfect pitch perception - not so good.
    Ie, if everyone was perfectly in tune with each other, but out of tune with an external absolute pitch reference, and he still complained, then that's bad - a pointless and disruptive objection. That's where anyone with AP has to grin and bear it.
    (I have read other tales of people with AP who have/had that kind of difficulty with deviations from their absolute (inner) reference.)

That doesn't mean AP is always a curse, or course - I think most musicians who have it learn to keep it in its place - but I can't see how it's ever a blessing, except maybe subjectively.
    Last edited by JonR; 03-30-2013 at 12:04 PM.

That was March 29, 2013.

Today, March 30, 2013, I had violin lessons with my teacher. She first asked whether I was in tune or not. I replied that I am yet to have Perfect Pitch. She said that I am not suppose to bother because Perfect Pitch is something that you have to be born with and you can't develop it. Then I pressed a key on the piano without looking and I told her that it was a 'G'. Then she told me to go back and not look and she made me guess what tones are on the piano. I guessed right on the first few tones that she asked me and I got the last one wrong. Then she told me that I have Perfect Pitch and I should be proud of it. One of my best moments in Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanche_Minim View Post
    Today, March 30, 2013, I had violin lessons with my teacher. She first asked whether I was in tune or not. I replied that I am yet to have Perfect Pitch. She said that I am not suppose to bother because Perfect Pitch is something that you have to be born with and you can't develop it. Then I pressed a key on the piano without looking and I told her that it was a 'G'. Then she told me to go back and not look and she made me guess what tones are on the piano. I guessed right on the first few tones that she asked me and I got the last one wrong. Then she told me that I have Perfect Pitch and I should be proud of it. One of my best moments in Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch.
    Congratulations.
    You're teacher was wrong to say that you have to be born with perfect pitch - and you seem to have proved that - but it remains to be seen how useful it will be to you as a musician.

How often will you need to identify a pitch without reference? (I mean need, rather than just have fun doing so.)
    If you're playing from notation, you obviously don't need to.
    If you're improvising, you will know from the outset what key you are in, and relative pitch will do the rest.
    If you want to join in with some musicians and don't know what key they are in, PP will obviously tell you that, but so will good relative pitch, once you test a note or two. (And you should expect them to tell you the key anyway.)

PP can also be distracting. As I said earlier in this thread, what matters in music is the relationships between notes, not the notes themselves. A "G" means nothing. It's the intervals it forms with other notes that have meaning. And perceiving interval quality is relative pitch.
    Being a great musician is about having great relative pitch. PP may be fun to have, but is irrelevant to understanding, appreciating and playing music.

Today March 31, 2013, I am now practicing 4 tones at Melodic Dictation on 2nds and 3rds, Major and Minor Intervals.
    Last edited by Blanche_Minim; 04-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Oh by the way, Thank you very much.

Today April 1, 2013, I am now practicing 5 tones at Melodic Dictation on 2nds and 3rds, Major and Minor Intervals. That was quick!

Yesterday on April 3, 2013. I was listening to the David Lucas Burge Perfect Pitch Supercourse: Masterclass 2. While he was talking about the different levels of Perfect Pitch especially level number two called Color Discrimination; he played an 'A'. What was unique about that 'A' is that it sounds exactly like the pickup note and harmonic intervals of 'A's' on Charles Dieupart's piece called 'Passepied in D Major'. One of my best moments in Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch (the more technical and scholarly term).

Oh, by the way, I keep rewinding it and I keep on hearing the same thing.

Today on April 5, 2013. I was listening to the dial tone on the telephone today and I checked our keyboard upstairs and it's a harmonic 'A'. One of my best moments in Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch.
    Last edited by Blanche_Minim; 04-08-2013 at 12:06 AM.

April 7, 2013 - I am now practicing 6 tones(50 bpm) at Melodic Dictation on 2nds and 3rds (Major and Minor Intervals)

April 9, 2013 - I an now adding E Major in my chord practice on Perfect Pitch or Absolute Pitch at DiamondEarII.
    Last edited by Blanche_Minim; 04-11-2013 at 06:55 PM.