Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Chords

Chords

My teacher has given me my 1st song to learn and the song is George Benson ( Affirmation) I have spent 2 weeks learning the chorus in chords and my question is this: I get tram lines grooves across my finger tips after strumming through the whole progression and my fingers dont hurt at all so there for its all good yes?? I have played with modes riffs and fingering exercises up until now and i was kinda dubious that all my hard callus will go to waste when i focus more on learning chords???

many thanks Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RoBbIe G View Post
    My teacher has given me my 1st song to learn and the song is George Benson ( Affirmation) I have spent 2 weeks learning the chorus in chords and my question is this: I get tram lines grooves across my finger tips after strumming through the whole progression and my fingers dont hurt at all so there for its all good yes??
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBbIe G View Post
    I have played with modes riffs and fingering exercises up until now and i was kinda dubious that all my hard callus will go to waste when i focus more on learning chords???
    Are the grooves a problem?
    If they are - if they don't disappear, or if they catch on the strings - that means your calluses are too thick, or you are just pressing too hard.
    Many people develop no calluses. I have none myself. I get grooves in my fingers when holding one chord for a while (painlessly), but they soon disappear, when playing other chords or soloing.

My guess is you are using too much pressure, but it's really a question for your teacher, who can assess your technique.

many thanks Rob[/QUOTE]

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar
    Try lighter strings perhaps, that worked for me. I know exactly what you are talking about. Lighter strings do NOT damage technique, don't let anyone fool you into thinking that it will hurt your technique. NOT practicing will hurt your technique but light strings will not, that is hogwash.

I suppose learning something new like chords i do tend to press too hard onto the strings .. (its not a problem with grooves in finger tips as i cant feel a thing and after a few mins of not playing my finger tips go back to normal....

I shall practice with my ibanez as i know they have size9 already fitted and see how it feels as i have normaly been useing size 10....

many thanks for your replys...

String guage is one of those personal things. Some swear by light guage, some heavy.
    Heavier strings produce more volume, and better tone and sustain, but if you have a light touch you can't make the most of them, you can' t bend them, and playing can be more tiring than it needs to be.
    OTOH, if you have a heavy touch, then light strings will be harder to play in tune, because it's easy to push them sharp just by fretting too hard.
    IOW, the heavier your touch, the heavier string guage you tend to need. When switching to lighter strings, you'll find you need to adjust your attack, become a little more sensitive.

FWIW, I think I have a fairly light touch. I currently use 10s on my electrics, having graduated up from 9s many years ago (I think I even used 8s on my first electric). I avoided 10s for years, because I simply couldn't bend them as far as I wanted. When I went to 10s, I kept a 16 (from a 9s set) on the G because that was the string I bent most. But now I have no problem with a standard 17 there.

On acoustic, however, I've gone the other way. Began with standard 12s, just because the guitar happened to come with them. But even after many years (decades even!) I never developed the strength to bend them as much as I wanted (which wasn't much), and moved down to 11s. They're quieter, but that's no problem; I just like how smooth they feel.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    String guage is one of those personal things. Some swear by light guage, some heavy.
    Heavier strings produce more volume, and better tone and sustain, but if you have a light touch you can't make the most of them, you can' t bend them, and playing can be more tiring than it needs to be.
    OTOH, if you have a heavy touch, then light strings will be harder to play in tune, because it's easy to push them sharp just by fretting too hard.
    IOW, the heavier your touch, the heavier string guage you tend to need. When switching to lighter strings, you'll find you need to adjust your attack, become a little more sensitive.

FWIW, I think I have a fairly light touch. I currently use 10s on my electrics, having graduated up from 9s many years ago (I think I even used 8s on my first electric). I avoided 10s for years, because I simply couldn't bend them as far as I wanted. When I went to 10s, I kept a 16 (from a 9s set) on the G because that was the string I bent most. But now I have no problem with a standard 17 there.

On acoustic, however, I've gone the other way. Began with standard 12s, just because the guitar happened to come with them. But even after many years (decades even!) I never developed the strength to bend them as much as I wanted (which wasn't much), and moved down to 11s. They're quieter, but that's no problem; I just like how smooth they feel.
    I have tendinitis, heavy strings just make it worse so I use electric 9 gauge strings on all my guitars, including my acoustic. I have friends that can bend electric "12" gauge string sets. I would have to have hand surgery if I tried that.