Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Chord Theory Book?

Chord Theory Book?

Can you recommend me some chord theory books? Which one do you think its the best? Particularly dealing with construction and analysis from basic chord theory to more advanced. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
    Can you recommend me some chord theory books? Which one do you think its the best? Particularly dealing with construction and analysis from basic chord theory to more advanced. thanks!

I like the book by Bruce Buckingham, ie this one -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Melody-Guitar-Musicians-Institute/dp/0634032119/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358670153&sr=8-1

If in addition you want to know more about how different chord types (eg Tonic, dominant, sub-dominant) function in typical song progressions (within the typical Jazz ii-V-I context at least), then Iíd also recommend Jazzology, ie this book -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazzology-Encyclopedia-Jazz-Theory-Musicians/dp/0634086782/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358670238&sr=1-1

If you look at websites like JazzGuitar.be, youíll find a lot of people recommending a well known old classic book called Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene. Thatís been a common recommendation for decades. However, personally I cannot recommend that book unless you already know a great deal about chord construction and chord function, because I suspect most people will probably find it largely unintelligible (and therefore practically useless).

I thoroughly recommend Four-Part Harmony.

It has everything you need to know and is written in a very accessible style. You can even get it half price if you agree not to photocopy it!