Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Thanks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks

I don't like to post, cause I always say something stupid. (cant be the beer). Usually, my question has been asked and answered. LOL.

With the holidays upon us, I would like to wish a very Merry Christmas to JonR, Malcolm, and all others.

I have learned so much here and a couple of other sites in this last year.

I am getting ready to set new goals for the upcoming new year. I want to wish you and your loved ones the happiest of New Years.

Quote Originally Posted by time2kill View Post
    I don't like to post, cause I always say something stupid. (cant be the beer). Usually, my question has been asked and answered. LOL.
    With the holidays upon us, I would like to wish a very Merry Christmas to JonR, Malcolm, and all others.
    I have learned so much here and a couple of other sites in this last year.
    I am getting ready to set new goals for the upcoming new year. I want to wish you and your loved ones the happiest of New Years.
    Hi ... Happy Christmas, and all the best for the New Year.

I know what you mean about asking what might seem like dumb sounding questions. I think we've all had that feeling, and let that hold us back by not asking.

But regular guys here actually like giving detailed answers to help other musicians. So it's good for everyone if we all ask questions about whatever is puzzling us.

Still having said that, I also don't ask when things are not clear to me. That's partly because in the past I've found I can usually work it out myself if I try.

Though that doesn't always work efficiently (it may work in the end, if I leave it long enough!), so there are times when I should ask questions, but hold back in case the answer should be obvious.

On the other hand, there are so many other aspect of playing/music that I can/should be studying, that I can always "shelve" any of those puzzling questions and move on to some other stuff thatI want to work on.

Still, when all is said and done … Happy Christmas, take care, and “rock on” .

What is this cord? It's driving me nuts.
    E - 2
    B - 1
    G - 2
    D - 1
    A - x
    E - x

It's minor 3rds stacked. I'm told its a diminished chord. Does it come from the major scale. If I play it up 3 frets, It's the same notes again.
    Last edited by time2kill; 12-25-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Yes it is a diminished seventh chord...given that the minor third interval (3 semitones) divides neatly into the octave (12 semitones) you get a chord that not only repeats every 3 frets as you say but can be named with any note as the root (your notes are basically Eb A C Gb - the technically correct (I believe) notation in the example below is a little hairy, the more practical enharmonic equivalents are in parentheses).

The formula is dim7 = R b3 b5 bb7

Cdim7 = C Eb Gb Bbb(A)

Ebdim7 = Eb Gb Bbb(A) Dbb(C)

Gbdim7 = Gb Bbb(A) Dbb(C) Fbb(Eb)

Bbbdim7(Adim7) = Bbb(A) Dbb(C) Fbb(Eb) Abbb(Gb)
    Last edited by walternewton; 12-25-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
    Yes it is a diminished seventh chord...given that the minor third interval (3 semitones) divides neatly into the octave (12 semitones) you get a chord that not only repeats every 3 frets as you say but can be named with any note as the root (your notes are basically Eb A C Gb - the technically correct (I believe) notation in the example below is a little hairy, the more practical enharmonic equivalents are in parentheses).

The formula is dim7 = R b3 b5 bb7

Cdim7 = C Eb Gb Bbb(A)

Ebdim7 = Eb Gb Bbb(A) Dbb(C)

Gbdim7 = Gb Bbb(A) Dbb(C) Fbb(Eb)

Bbbdim7(Adim7) = Bbb(A) Dbb(C) Fbb(Eb) Abbb(Gb)

Thanks, that's pretty interesting.

this is not as bad

You can ask question without any problem. check out and buy double stroller for your kids.