Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online I find chords to songs, but how do I then, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BubberC View Post
    << it'd harder to do with established songs unless you've heard the tune before>>

I am grateful. Indeed I have heard the song before many, many times and can sing it.

The chordings for 'Bilbao Moon' that I find online are unlike those for 'Happy Birthday' in a crucial way. The chords for 'Happy Birthday' start with the first syllable ("Hap-"), so you have at least a 1-in-3 chance of selecting the right first note (C or E or G).

But no chord at all is provided for the first syllable of 'Bilbao Moon' ("That"). No chord is provided until the third syllable ("Bil-"), and the chord for that third syllable is A Major.

When I play the chords for 'Bilbao Moon,' (starting with the syllable No. 3, "Bil"), namely...
    A Em7 A7 D D6 D9,

I do not discern the obvious melody, even though I know it well. But let's say I am somehow able to discern it, am I then supposed to extrapolate back in order to find the notes for syllables 1 and 2? (The verse part of the song has 48 syllables.)

I could pick out the melody on the piano, but the odds are slim that it would come out in the same key the chordwriters have selected.

I have several books and pamphlets on how to play a fake book, and they do not touch on the problem I am talking about.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bubber
    First off, Fake Books employ the use of improvisation. Usually, you'll see the melody line with a chord symbol written above, but you don't have to play exactly what the chord says to. Fake Books are not as detailed as classical pianist sheet music where you certainly have to play what is there and when.

Is this the tune you're talking about? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXeOjyKZRqU (C Major)

G-A-B-A-E - G7+ is with the G-A-B and C6 is with A-E

G-A-B-A-Eb - F9/C or Cm6 is with A-Eb

G-A-B-A-Eb - G7+ is with this entire phrase played on the A note

G-A-B-A-E - C6 is with A-E

C-D-E-D-A - C7 or C7+ is with C-D-E and F6 is with D-A

C-D-E-D-Ab - Same as above except the D-Ab is with Fm6

C-D-E-D-G - Same as above except the D-G are with C6

A-C-B-A-E - This phrase is with C6

C-B-C-A - F6 is played on the A note

C-B-C-Ab - Fm6 is played on the Ab note

C-B-C-G-E-G - C on this phrase

Gb-G-F-E-G - You could play a G7 on the F note, but a C/C6 follows

Gb-G-E-Eb-G - C/C6, then F9/C or Cm6 on Eb-G

Gb-G-Eb-D-F - G7/9sus on the D-F

A-B-A-C - The G chords carry over until the C in melody. Play a C or C6 chord on that note.

Again, this is just one interpretation. Don't take this as set-in-stone.

Does this help?
    Last edited by Color of Music; 10-11-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Thank you, Color. Thank you, all. Yes, that is the song, and I picked it out on the piano today, syllable by syllable, note by note, line by line...

e f# g# f# c# c#
    That old Bil - ba - o moon

e f# g# f# c c

e f# g# f# c c

e f# g# f# c# c#

a b c# b f# f#

a b c# b f f

a b c# b e e

f# a g# f# c# c#

a g# a f# a g# a f

a g# a e c# e

d# e c# c# e d# e c# c-natural d#

d-natural d# c b e f# g# f# a

The chords I found online are...
    (for the first line) A Em7 A7 D D6 D9

They sound discordant when meshed with the notes of the first line of the song, so I figure they must be not in the same key.

So I reckon I need now to get the notes and chords into the same key.

How to do that is not obvious to me.

Bubber

Color:

I'm sorry. Ignore my last post. Your post is immensely helpful.

(You sort of threw me a curve ball. You wrote G-A-B-A-E, and I couldn't see what five notes would represent, since those lines each have six syllables. You were implying, but not indicating, that G-A-B-A-E is really a shorthand of G-A-B-A-E-E. Now I get it.)

Thank, you, my friend, for this labor of love. And, yes, I am familiar with all of those chords you indicate. I will work with what you have provided and have this ready for a houseful of guests Saturday night here in Charleston. Do you live near here?

Bubber

Quote Originally Posted by BubberC View Post
    Color:

I'm sorry. Ignore my last post. Your post is immensely helpful.

(You sort of threw me a curve ball. You wrote G-A-B-A-E, and I couldn't see what five notes would represent, since those lines each have six syllables. You were implying, but not indicating, that G-A-B-A-E is really a shorthand of G-A-B-A-E-E. Now I get it.)

Thank, you, my friend, for this labor of love. And, yes, I am familiar with all of those chords you indicate. I will work with what you have provided and have this ready for a houseful of guests Saturday night here in Charleston. Do you live near here?

Bubber
    When you play that song in A - just transpose the chords down a minor third.

E-F#-G#-F#-C# - E7+ is with the G-A-B and C6 is with A-E

E-F#-G#-F#-C - D9/A or Am6 is with F#-C

E-F#-G#-F#-C# - E7+ is with this entire phrase played on the A note

E-F#-G#-F#-C# - A6 is with A-E

A-B-C#-B-F# - A7 or A7+ is with C-D-E and D6 is with D-A

A-B-C#-B-F - Same as above except the B-F is with Dm6

A-B-C#-B-E - Same as above except the D-G are with A6

A-C-B-A-E - This phrase is with A6

A-G#-A-F# - D6 is played on the A note

A-G#-A-F - Dm6 is played on the F note

A-G#-A-E-C#-E - A on this phrase

Eb-E-D-C#-E - You could play a E7 on the D note, but a A/A6 follows

Eb-E-C#-C-E - A/A6, then D9/A or Am6 on C-E

Eb-E-C-B-D - E7/9sus on the B-D

F#-G#-F#-A - The E chords carry over until the A in melody. Play an A or A6 chord on that note.

Here's a link to work out the transposing or what the chords look like without transposing (of any song):

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

You're very welcome! Glad I could help. Unfortunately, I do not live near the location you speak of.
    Last edited by Color of Music; 10-12-2012 at 04:01 AM.