Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: improv problem

Long Beach C.A (home of sublime and snoop dogg)

improv problem

i know all these cool ideas and shred things i can do. but when i jam with other cds in my case pink floyds the wall the song i love from that album is young lust and i love that solo. i try to jam over the solo but i go back to playing the Em pentatonic scale. i wanna use sweeps taps and when i say taps i mean taps like greg howe on kick it all over, fast legato runs, whammy bar effects, fast pick scale runs, you guys get the picture some shred stuff those anyone else have this problem were you try to solo over a song and cant find what to play or go back to basic stuff?

Central Scrutinizer
    The most important thing is: What does the song beg for.
    The song will whipser what it wants to you.
    When I think Floyd, I think simple tasty pen phrases and bends.
    I just don't hear it in a shred light.
    Not that u couldn't do it.
    But to me young lust is about, well you know....
    And to me grabbing a note and wrentching everything u can from it is what the songs begging for.
    I think your ideas well meant, but be careful as not to try to force the issue. Sure we could do a 3 octave sweep over young lust, but do we need to.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

That is exactly what I wanted to say. Improvisation does not only thrive on the licks you know and can do, it also is based on what you hear in your mind. When you listen to the song or progression or beat youīre jamming on, you try to think of whatīs appropiate, and for some songs, fast shredding on a diminished scale just doesnīt cut it.
    And even if you try, itīs possible that you donīt like the result, cuz itīll most likely sound inappropiate.
    As Bash said, you can always try to do high-speed shredding on a tune like Young Lust, but most likely, a more relaxed, grooving solo will fit way better
    Eric

thanks for the help but what can i substitute the pentatonic for. yeah i to think pentatonic when i hear a pink floyd song like young lust but what else can i use

I think you're running into a problem we've all had to face sooner or later. Practicing technique and licks is a necessary evil, but you must also find a musical way to use those licks. It is probably wisest to memorize a lick, work on the technical part for a bit and then figure out when and where you would use it. Once you figure out how to use it, jam along with a simple rhythm track and experiment using your new licks.

The second issue, as I see it, is to figure out what to play instead of pentatonic licks. If you're playing in a major pentatonic key, you might try going with a Mixolydian scale instead of major pentatonic. The same concept will work for minor pentatonic... Analyze the harmonic content of the song and figure out which scales will work.

You might also try playing some modal pentatonic ideas. Either James or Eric (or probably both!) had some good ideas on this subject and explained it way better than I can.

Lastly, when adding sweeps, whammy, tapping, etc... you should just experiment over and over until you find out what works for you! Record yourself and see what works and what doesn't.
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content

thanks for the advice i just bought the stanley jordan vid he explains that also. he said that he took of oneday on playing arps(pretty weird sounding ones that sound like a japanesse scale harmonized by tenths) and when he jamed with a band he played the same then he said that he tought to himself and said "i wasnt really playing with the band i was playing what i would play when i practice" i can jam but i cant jam with a song that has a specific sound to it like young lust. but when you see or hear people cover other people songs they shred the heck out of it and i ask my self how?

You just have to jam over the tune, even if it's the CD player, for hours and hours and you'll figure out how to do it. It also takes some time and musical development to get this down.

You have to pay your dues if you want to play the SHRED!
    -Bizarro
    Google is your friend Hidden Content