Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Any older learners here?

Any older learners here?

Hi all, I wonder if there are any older people here learning to play a musical instrument. I am 65 years young and learning clarinet, piano and classical guitar, am very passionate about it but it takes a lot longer to learn at my age. I like to find some-one around my age to talk about music and what problems they have learning at an older age.

Quote Originally Posted by ♫ love music ♫ View Post
    Hi all, I wonder if there are any older people here learning to play a musical instrument. I am 65 years young and learning clarinet, piano and classical guitar, am very passionate about it but it takes a lot longer to learn at my age. I like to find some-one around my age to talk about music and what problems they have learning at an older age.
    I took up music when I retired in 2000 when I was 65. Banjo first, acoustic guitar next, then keyboard, then fiddle, clarinet and now electric bass.

Fiddle and clarinet did not take, but, I did have fun trying. My fiddle had a bunch of cats living inside, never could get them out. Clarinet, could never get my mouth doing what it needed to do, so I moved on.

Play in two bands - where everybody is in their 70's one is about to be 80. Yes the kids do pick it up quicker, however, we have the time. There is a need for afternoon and early evening entertainment, people begging for a band during those times. We average 7 to 8 gigs a month. They do not pay a lot, but, Social Security, Mack, and Volvo Trucks plus International Harvester send checks each month.

Music is a great hobby. Look up a band and ask if you can sit in on rehearsals, I bet they will say; "Come on."
    At our age you never know when an opening may come up.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 09-18-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Hi Malcolm
    Thanks for your reply. So there's hope for me yet? great.
    Actually, my clarinet teacher who teaches the kids at the local primary school also has some of the mothers get together and practice, I was invited to join them, we get together once week and we have great fun. There are a few clarinets, flutes and the teacher plays a variety of instruments , Bb clarinet, Bass clarinet, flute, saxophone, french horn I think, he's fantastic. I still make a lot of mistakes and can't always keep up but they said not to worry about that as they all started that way. they said even if I just play the first and last note in each bar to start of with I will eventually catch up. They also play in the community band and am also invited to join them, me? wow, how good is that, the only thing is that they are all a lot younger then me ( except the teacher ) but they don't mind at all. I also met a lady by "co-incidence", she is learning to play the violin and we now get together once a week for - as we called it - a "squeak and screech jam" oh boy, we sure did let the cat's out then ha ha. But the problem was that I am still a bit flat on the clarinet and it didn't sound very good of course so I decided to start practicing my piano again after finally having it tuned and now we are learning "Ashokan farewell" what a beautiful song that is, wow, I had never heard it before and when I was searching on the net for something I found it and straight away wanted to learn it on the piano. Now I'm looking for the violin and piano version so I can just play the accompaniment to the violin.
    Gee I do talk a lot don't I but I am just so passionate about music and I also love the theory part of it, trying to cram as much as possible into my aging brain LOL.
    Best wishes Joanne.

I'm 45. Nothing compared to Malcolm, but still well shy of the 16-18 year old guys that are in majority.

I'm 54, and started guitar about 5 years ago. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself, as it has created a well of happiness to draw from when I need some. Bought a euphonium horn too. While the youngsters at guitar center do play some wailing solos that nearly always exceed my abilities, I like to feel hopefully like I'm merely "differently abled" and perhaps looking for different things in music and better at some of those things than them. Compositions, lyrics, analytic (music theoretical approaches) approaches maybe.

I've read that very young brains have a huge advantage in learning language. And in hand dexterity, I'll lose 'most every time.

I'm 56 years old.

I only play guitar and sing. (which would be using the terms loosely)

I learned some chords when I was a teenager. But decided to try it again about 1 1/2 years ago.

Yep, the learning does seem to go very slowly. In my case, it might not be my age. It just may be the huge amount of alcohol I comsume while practicing.

I'm really only in it to entertain myself. But, I think I might be ready to take some lessons.

Hi, Joanne! Hi, everyone!

Glad to see you all are/were excited to start music lessons I'm only 33, but I feel out of place at the music school already! I thought I'm the oldest (beginner) student there. Oh, maybe I am, but now I see there are a lot out there

I'm fine and happy at my guitar class, coz it's a private class, so no one starring. But when it comes to music theory class...Oh no! kids from age 6-17 turn their heads and stare at me as if I'm an alien...>.<'

Anyway, have a nice day!

Hi chitarrista, nice to hear from you. You are a "youngie" compared to me. Glad to hear you have taken up the guitar, I was playing mine today, learning a few chords so I can accompany my friend when she plays her violin, I am also learning to accompany her on the piano but it's taking me soooo long to learn it, so until I do I will play the guitar instead, I want to learn Travis picking, I love it. Don't worry about the kids staring at you when you are doing your music theory, as long as you are enjoying your-self, that's important.

Joanne, you made me googled on Travis picking! Thanks!

* Think I'll start a thread about it :P *

Hi chittarrista, have a look at this one, it lets you look inside the book, I don't have it yet but it looks like a good one.

Amazon.com: The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking

Joanne, I've taken a look at the book. Thanks! But from my experience, I'm not good learning from books >.<' Because I don't know whether what I'm doing is correct or not...I prefer a teacher or videos, so I can see the example on how to do it.

I've found many videos on you tube on this subject. I used these 3 and now I can see a hope in playing Freight Train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fqvEbkjBNQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYA3n...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2kGN...eature=related
    Take a look, maybe you like them

Gee thanks, they are great. Funny you should mention Freight Train, have a look at these 2 sites, my son who is a guitarist bought me the dvd of this amazing lady who wrote the song, have a look at her biography.
    Let me know how you go with your finger picking, I won't need to buy the book now, there are so many free lessons on youtube, fantastic, can't wait to get started now and yes it is much better then learning from just a book unless you have the dvd with it.
    Cheers
    Joanne

youtube Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train.wmv

Elizabeth Cotten, Freight Train, Free Score with Tablature

Glad to know the links are useful for you ^_^ Freight Train music score that I have is slightly different from the score on the link you told me...I'll compare them later.

Btw, have you heard about Sungha Jung? Take a look at this video, he plays Freight Train. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEE1...feature=fvwrel
    I just love ALL songs that he plays! Awesome! ^0^