Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: help on chord progression

help on chord progression

Hey there everyone,

first time poster long time reader.

I came across a sweet chord progression in a song called 'only twin' by a band called Oceansize and for the life of me i can't figure out where some of the chords are being sourced from.

Amin - E7/G# - G7 - Fmin6 (or Dmin7b5/F) - Gmaj - E7/G# - G#dim
    ---I--------V6------ ?--------?------------------------------bVII*-----V6-----------vii

*borrowed from aeolian

I've put my incomplete analysis under the chords, 4 out of the 7 chords seem to be from harmonic minor and 1 borrowed from the natural (aeolian) minor but the remaining 2 i have no idea about, i can't find any explanation for them and yet... they sound cool.
    I'd really really appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Here's as link to the actual tune
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0dEjr1tkg

Ash

Quote Originally Posted by woodpeckersnake View Post
    Hey there everyone,

first time poster long time reader.

I came across a sweet chord progression in a song called 'only twin' by a band called Oceansize and for the life of me i can't figure out where some of the chords are being sourced from.

Amin - E7/G# - G7 - Fmin6 (or Dmin7b5/F) - Gmaj - E7/G# - G#dim
    ---I--------V6------ ?--------?------------------------------bVII*-----V6-----------vii

*borrowed from aeolian

I've put my incomplete analysis under the chords, 4 out of the 7 chords seem to be from harmonic minor and 1 borrowed from the natural (aeolian) minor but the remaining 2 i have no idea about, i can't find any explanation for them and yet... they sound cool.
    I'd really really appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Here's as link to the actual tune
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0dEjr1tkg

Ash
    Just a quickie, as I can't check the audio from this computer.
    The G7 is V/III, or dominant of the relative major (C). (It is diatonic to A aeolian, but looks like either a secondary dominant, or primary dominant of an approaching key change - which of course doesn't happen.)
    But there's a deceptive cadence to Fm6 (Dm7b5). In the light of a new C key centre, this looks like the minor iv (or half-dim ii) borrowed from C minor.
    Dm7b5-G(7?) is a ii-V in C minor - but again followed by a clever diversion: bass note Ab is diatonic to C minor, but becomes G#, 3rd of E7, V of previous key. (And remember that G#dim7 is enharmonic with Bdim7, vii of C minor.)

When I get a proper listen to the track, I may come back if it suggests anything else to me.

Wow that's really interesting.
    I'd gone as far as thinking the chords might be modal or sourced from one of the alternative minor scales, i hadn't really considered a temporary modulation but your answer seems to fit really nicely, the diminished chord belonging to both keys is interesting.
    Oceansize has a real thing for symmetry within their compositions, i've seen several instances of palindromic rhythms, your explanation has 3 x Cmin chords book ended by 2 x Amin chords (potentially) on either side, giving a key symmetry within the progression. Pretty awesome.
    Thanks again.

Yes this one is interesting. I looked at it and felt it was trying to modulate, but, as it never did -- I left with out commenting waiting on what Jon would say.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 08-04-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Just an additional comment having listened to the track. The most interesting thing to me is the time (metre).

To begin with, the sequence sounds like it's essentially a slow 3/4: 5 bars of 3/4, a bar of 2/4 and 2 more bars of 3/4. (Some debate about where that 2/4 bar ought to go relative to the arpeggios, but it fits there with the chord changes.], made clearer)
    But then the drums come in playing spmething quite different. This turns out to be 9/8 cross rhythm: still 3 beats in the bar, but where the arps are dividing each beat into 2, the drums are dividing them into 3s.
    More than that, the snare plays a repeating 5/8 pattern in a 2-3 form, so it keeps hitting in different places. Here's how it works with the chords:

Code:
                    Am                                  E7/G#       G       
             BEATS:|1  .  2  .  3  . |1  .  2  .  3  . |1  .  2  .  3  . | 
    ARPEGGIOS:(3/4)|x  x  x  x  x  x |x  x  x  x  x  x |x  x  x  x  x  x |
        SNARE (9/8)|. . x . x . . x .|x . . x . x . . x|. x . . x . x . X|

Fm6                                 G (2/4 - 6/8)        
             BEATS:|1  .  2  .  3  . |1  .  2  .  3  . |1  .  2  . |
    ARPEGGIOS:(3/4)|x  x  x  x  x  x |x  x  x  x  x  x |x  x  x  x  
        SNARE (9/8)|. . x . x . . x .|x . . x . x . . x|. x . . x .|

E7/G#
             BEATS:|1  .  2  .  3  . |1  .  2  .  3  . |
    ARPEGGIOS:(3/4)|x  x  x  x  x  x |x  x  x  x  x  x |
        SNARE (9/8)|x . . x . x . . x|. x . . x . x . X|
    (The capital "X"s show a double 16th fill, which breaks the 5/8 repetition.)
    Then the kick drum comes in, it's playing with the arpeggios - and it becomes maybe better to think of it as 18/16, or 9/8 at twice the tempo. That way, each arpeggio note and drum hit represents one of those 16ths (or 8ths).

IOW, the above pattern assumes the beat count is a slow 66 bpm, with the snare thinking in triplets against the straight 8s of the arps. The following is how that first bar would look at 132 bpm - with everything fitting 9/8, the arps and kick drum both on the dotted quarter beats -while the snare (after its first hit anyhow) falling into a repeating pattern of 4 then 6 8th notes, regardless of bar lines:
    Code:
    132 bpm, 9/8
             BEATS:|1 . . 2 . . 3 . .|1 . . 2 . . 3 . .|
         ARPEGGIOS:|x . . x . . x . .|x . . x . . x . .| 
             SNARE:|. . . . x . . . x|. . . . . x . . .|
              KICK:|x . . x . . x . .|x . . x . . x . .|
    Compared with this stuff that chord sequence is pretty mundane!

Yeah the timing is amazing. The drummer playing a 5 count (or the odd 7) while at the same time playing in only the 3 component of a 3 over 2 poly-rhythm is ridiculously clever.
    The way the timing components are shared between sections is compositionally brilliant, AND ...Mike gets a seemingly regular sounding melody to just sit in there effortlessly.
    The other timing element i love in this track is that psuedo waltz feel that comes later in what i guess you'd call the chorus. The melodic instruments finally start treating those 3 note arpeggios as 3 (rather than 2 as you rightly pointed out) giving a confusing waltz feel, ...confusing mainly because the drummer is STILL hammering his 5/8 in the 3 over 2 polyrhythm.
    It's such a shame this band just broke up.