Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Identifying the individual notes of a piano chord

Identifying the individual notes of a piano chord

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to play a piano piece that I have in a recording and that I don't have the sheet music to (someone's improvisation), so I need to first be able to recognise every note of every chord that I hear, which isn't easy given I'm only a beginning pianist.

I know it's a good ear exercise to transcribe it myself, however this seems like a task that lends itself well to being computerised, so, for the long run, I was wondering if Audition (or some other software?) can be used to do this, i.e. I select a portion of the sound file (corresponding to, say, a chord) and it gives me the individual notes that the chord is made up of.

I'm guessing there would be some margin of error for the output of such an operation, but that the software could tell you an answer with a reasonable statistical confidence.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Try Transcribe! It's the best computer help I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by wildetudor View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to play a piano piece that I have in a recording and that I don't have the sheet music to (someone's improvisation), so I need to first be able to recognise every note of every chord that I hear, which isn't easy given I'm only a beginning pianist.

I know it's a good ear exercise to transcribe it myself, however this seems like a task that lends itself well to being computerised, so, for the long run, I was wondering if Audition (or some other software?) can be used to do this, i.e. I select a portion of the sound file (corresponding to, say, a chord) and it gives me the individual notes that the chord is made up of.

I'm guessing there would be some margin of error for the output of such an operation, but that the software could tell you an answer with a reasonable statistical confidence.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Try a little theory along with the software. Recognizing every note of the chord is really not necessary. If the melody is revolving around the C chord tones you only need one like note in your chord for harmonization, two would be better, three are not necessary. The bass guitar will use that approach in jamming his bass lines. Just the root C note is going to harmonize, the root - five would be better and the root, three, five of course will work, however, is probably not necessary. So a frozen hand of the root-five, C, G notes will do what you need to harmonize that melodic phrase, then when the music moves on to new notes - look at what your right hand is doing, see what notes are now being used in the melody and grab a frozen hand chord of the new notes. Probably going to revolve around the F chord, perhaps the G or Am chords. Frozen hand accompaniment should get you a first draft, i.e. this will get you close, write down what you have figured out, then see if it makes since theory wise, if so flesh out your first draft.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 06-09-2011 at 04:56 AM.