Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Teacher or online lessons?

Teacher or online lessons?

Hi,
    if you want to start learning guitar and have trouble deciding between learning from a teacher or learning online, please read my advice:
    http://www.guitarhow.com/37_guitarhow_learn_guitar.html
    Hope it helps!
    ciao,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerAxetrample View Post
    Hi,
    if you want to start learning guitar and have trouble deciding between learning from a teacher or learning online, please read my advice:
    http://www.guitarhow.com/37_guitarhow_learn_guitar.html
    Hope it helps!
    ciao,
    Roger
    When I clicked your link and looked at your WebPage, your very first sentence omits what is probably the most popular way of anyone learning guitar (maybe it's even the best way in the end). That is - to teach themselves, not so much from anything on the net, but instead mainly from books and DVD's .

But this is a discussion forum for musicians. So instead of simply posting a link to your WebPages, it would be far better if you posted your opinions re. teaching and learning guitar/music and invited an active discussion from guys here .

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
    When I clicked your link and looked at your WebPage, your very first sentence omits what is probably the most popular way of anyone learning guitar (maybe it's even the best way in the end). That is - to teach themselves, not so much from anything on the net, but instead mainly from books and DVD's .

But this is a discussion forum for musicians. So instead of simply posting a link to your WebPages, it would be far better if you posted your opinions re. teaching and learning guitar/music and invited an active discussion from guys here .
    Hi,
    you're right. But isn't learning from online lessons without feedback from an instructor like teaching yourself as well? People know how to find lessons and materials online. Maybe books and dvd's are getting sold less these days but i really don't know.
    It seems like there's less people today teaching themselves without any instruction materials than like 20 years ago...
    And yes, discussion would be good. I'm interested to know how many people learned from teacher and how many learned online!
    thanks,
    Roger
    Last edited by RogerAxetrample; 04-21-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerAxetrample View Post
    Hi,
    you're right. But isn't learning from online lessons without feedback from an instructor like teaching yourself as well? People know how to find lessons and materials online. Maybe books and dvd's are getting sold less these days but i really don't know.

It seems like there's less people today teaching themselves without any instruction materials than like 20 years ago...

And yes, discussion would be good. I'm interested to know how many people learned from teacher and how many learned online!
    thanks,

Roger
    Well almost all contemporary guitar players probably have a personal computer these days, so of course it's true they will inevitably check all sorts of free guitar stuff on the web (inc. forums like this).

But if they get really serious about their playing then personally I think it's essential to build up a solid library of the best books and the best DVD's to practice from.

Personally I could never see myself learning even a fraction of what I need just from free stuff on the net. I would not consider that taking things serious at all ... but maybe it works differently for others.

However, music publishing is still big business and the market is flooded with constant new publications of instructional self-learning books and DVD's.

Even if guys can find a really great private teacher, and even if they can afford to keep taking private lessons every week for years, I think that's still only a fraction of what they need to do ... 99% of what they need to do is still to practice all sorts of stuff at home, and for that I think they need to supplement whatever the teacher teaches them with all sorts of their own books and DVD's.

2:cent's of course