Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme shred licks

Long Beach C.A (home of sublime and snoop dogg)

Extreme shred licks

Well im 15 year with a lot time cause im on vacation, well here are some of my licks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Neo, cool lick!

I think it maybe hard for some to execute this properly who are not familiar with eight finger tapping.

So Id play it the alternative version using a different fingering, three notes per string and alternate picking.

Of course the sound is different but you can also play it faaaaast!

But cool idea anyway, specially cause youre only 15. Hats off!
    Maybe you can post and mp3 of you playing this?

Later
    TK

heres the two hand harmonizing of the steve vai lick from the song of hot dog and a shake. guitar one is the left hand and guitar two is the right hand. it may take a while to get this lick to its actual speed but when you do WOW!

heres my third lick. from the solo of fire of rock by racer x. For those who have heard it, the solo is composed for two guitars one being overdubbed. the first part is the original way to play it(same fingerings) and the second is arranged for the two handed version. notice that you must change parts in the middle. again its really hard to pull of this lick because the right hand isnt as good as the left but practice makes perfect. this took me about 2 months to perfect so be patient also have fun!

Originally posted by Thorsten
    Hey Neo, cool lick!

I think it maybe hard for some to execute this properly who are not familiar with eight finger tapping.

So Id play it the alternative version using a different fingering, three notes per string and alternate picking.

Of course the sound is different but you can also play it faaaaast!

But cool idea anyway, specially cause youre only 15. Hats off!
    Maybe you can post and mp3 of you playing this?

Later
    TK
    i would love to post a mp3 but i dont know how to if you or anybody can tell me how i would gladly do it
    for that lick i put my left hand over the neck and right also it just looks so flashy, why because i seen in 80s rock videos people traying to do it but didnt seem like they were doing it all like if it was just for the video. i also seen Y.J.M putting his hand over the neck on his instructional video but was just messing around.
    PLus when done right it looks really flashy witch is good on stage!

Well those are some of my licks hope you guys like them and gives you guys some new shred licks! to get the right hand better i suggest you do some of the same licks you do with your left on your right with pure hammer and pull offs. it also helps if you get string dampers you can kill all of that exesive noise that the other strings make when a direct tap is made on a fret and that weird noise that you get when you tap the higher frets with holding any string hope this helps

Shreds not dead!!!!!!!!!

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    Here's my favorite lick.
    Be careful though so you don't hurt yourself.

http://w1.605.telia.com/~u60511686/superlick.ptb
    Last edited by Anubis; 08-10-2003 at 01:31 PM.

LOL...Anubis, again you hit the nail on the head! That quote is soooo true.

On the other hand...give Neo a chance. Hes only 15 and wants to shred which I think is great...better than listening to N`Sync, ey!

TK

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    Thorsten wrote:
    LOL...Anubis, again you hit the nail on the head! That quote is soooo true.On the other hand...give Neo a chance. Hes only 15 and wants to shred which I think is great...better than listening to N`Sync, ey!
    He he...well Thorsten I hope people can take a joke
    I am one of the biggest shred fans on earth and I listen to shred music all the time.
    I am a total shred o maniac.
    I just love high intensity guitar playing just like many others here.
    I have listened to Yngwies Far Beyond The Sun since the album came out and I still love the song.
    At this very moment I am sitting here and listening to a guy named Chris Brook and his song Kryptica.
    Great guitar player and a very cool song http://www.chrisbrooks.net/

The reason I have to be a little hard on Neo Shredder is that I am 33-years old and I started to play guitar in 1981 and this little 15-year old is probably a much better guitar player then me after such a short time
    Just kidding. I don't have a problem with things like that.
    I have jammed with people that are pros and I see it more as a good learning experience.
    A good way to become better is to play with people that is much better.
    That is how I look at it.
    I feel very secure with myself and I don't feel any competition in my guitar playing.
    I have always played just for fun in cover bands and never had any high goals except for having fun.

The Santana quote is important to remember though.
    All the fast licks must fit into a context of a good song and a good song needs some sort of melody that people can understand.

Another thing I once learned from reading an interview with Steve Vai was to try and describe on the guitar what you experience and feel in your real life.
    For example you had a bad day at work. Well pick up your guitar when you get home and try to compose a melody or something that describes exactly how you feel.
    Another example. You got speed tickets for driving to fast.
    Well pick up the guitar and write a song about it. That will probably end up in a great shred song

One thing I remember that happened many years ago when I was even a bigger shred fan then I am today was some live gigs I did at the time.
    When I played some slow solos with a good melody most of the audience obviously appreciated that more then when I did some shredding.
    I guess the reason is that most people in the audience don't understand shredding but they do understand a beautiful melody.
    It is harder to understand advanced playing and that is also the reason why not so many people listen to classical music and jazz.
    It is to advanced to understand for peoples ears.
    I also believe that all the females in the audience see the guitar as an extension of our penis.
    That means if I play fast...well you get the idea
    This is the reason why you won't find many womens at a shred concert.

But keep shredding people.
    It still rules and as Thorsten said, it is better that people listen to shred music then N' Sync.
    Last edited by Anubis; 08-10-2003 at 06:42 PM.

I also agree that there should a really good melody. I dont play fast just for the heck of it. At first i tought it was all about playing fast, but then i started to play fast so when it came to play a fast solo i could it(im in a death metal band) I play whatever goes with songs feel. and im sure that in a death metal band a slow solo wound not sound good with those really fast drums. And as ypu can see the second lick has a nice harmony. its fun to play two hand harmonizing because on stage most people cant play the second guitar part(yngiwe playing black star) so for me it comes in handy kind of a caccophony thing! By the way those anyone know the second guiatr part for cacophony's song go off?

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    ...and is that a Peavy young Chris is posing with?

I'm listening to Kryptica, and although I don't care for that sort of thing that TONE is just incredible...beautiful.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Its an Ibanez...

And I agree, he has somme cool tone in his hands..
    Eric

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Originally posted by Anubis
    I also believe that all the females in the audience see the guitar as an extension of our penis.
    No...actually they see that the guitarist thinks it is. That's why they find it so hilarious.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

OK for those who like nice shred licks that are also very melodic heres some from my greates influence luis moreno
    Last edited by neo shredder; 08-11-2003 at 09:33 PM.

Heres a tough pentatonic lick in Dm