Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licks, Runs & Riffs, Pt.II

Licks, Runs & Riffs, Pt.II

Hey guys,
    since I canīt hang out at ibreathe as much as I used to, I figured I would at least try to provide some licks. So I quickly hooked up the recording gear and recorded some licks... here we go. I also figured Iīd post them in a new thread, "Licks, RUns and RIffs Pt.II", since the first one is getting pretty big.

Here we go. Lick 1 is a popular Steve Vai-Lick, similar to something he plays in his short solo in the song "Answers" ( from the G3-live record ). Hereīs the TAB:

And the MP3 is attached to this post.
    Check it out
    Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lick No.2

OK, the next one is a string-skipping lick I have posted before somewhere. Itīs quite similar a pattern I used in my tune "Riders High".
    You have to pick over the fretboard, in the area where you have to tap. Itīs a tough one, but a lot of fun once you practise it a while. This can be moved to different positions and strings according to the underlying chord.

Hereīs the TAB:

No.3

Hereīs a legato run in the style of Andy Timmons and Joe Satch...

Hereīs a very cool tapping lick by Stephen Ross, taken from his short solo-showcase "Warped".
    The notes with the "ho" above it are tapped by the left hand ( I use two fingers of that hand to get this up to speed ), all notes with a t are tapped by the right hand ( I use two fingers of that hand, too ).
    Itīs fun, check it out.

My wicked tapping version of "Ode To Joy"... the tapped notes make up the melody, while the l.h. notes kinda provide pedal-tones...

My take on that popular Howe-lick...

And the last one for today...

one of my trademark licks, using Howeīs barring technique, but incorporating 3 notes on the lower string... itīs FUN !

and the ptb...

(I didn't see this thread, & I'm not sure where I should post this so... so I'm reposting from original)

I want you to know it's good to be back!!!

I have been out in the country, which provided much inspiration, but the internet line & phone line wasn't very reliable, and the computer I was using was an apple Imac, so I didn't have access to any powertab.

Now I'm back with my own computer that has POWERTAB and a reliable internet connection!

Anyway it's good to see that many people in the IBreathe community are contributing in many different helpful ways, so I felt as a dedicated member of this community, that I also should contribute.

This is a riff I hope you like, I have been variating the melodic idea frequently, here is the current version.

It is a little bit more legato than the powertab I have posted, but this powertab file for the rhythm while not quite as "smooth" as I would like you to have, it will give you a general idea as to how the riff sounds.

Background:
    Currently when I play this with my band, It is a riff during a break in a song, where the band is silent, and I on guitar start the riff, after playing it the first time through(first 4 bars 1x), then my bass player and me play the riff simultaneously the 2nd time through, then the 3rd time our keyboardist joins in simultaneously, then the entire band repeats the riff simultaneously during the fourth time through. After that we go to a Powerchord chorus, etc.

FYI for those who want to know what tempo:
    We play this riff at a Tempo marker of about 137 which some muscians may consider fast but IMHO it's not so fast &/or slow that we lose the groove of the rhythm when playing this riff!

Hope you enjoy this and it is helpful.

P.S. Eric V, I really like Lick2 & Lick6 thanks!
    Last edited by Schooligo; 09-02-2003 at 02:31 AM.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Lightbulb Odd-Time-Arpeggios

Hello Everybody,

thats my first column and i hope you'll enjoy it.
    My column is about simple major arpeggios played in odd - times.
    Be sure, when you play these arps, to know where are the beats (quarter), then you are right in a fluid tempo.
    It is very important, to play this stuff with a metronome!!

So long,

777 Universe
    http://www.requiem-metal.de

Newfie Rock Guitarist furiousnewf's Avatar
    How do you get those images of the runs, does power tab export segments into jpgs?

Powertab exports sections as bmps. Those canīt be displayed at the forum though, AFAIK. I think it creates a link to the bmp.
    So, it would be great if youīd export the section as a bmp and turn that into a jpg before you post it.
    Warm regards
    Eric

aaarrrgghhh I have been trying to post a lick. How exactly do you do it. I have it in powertab.

Central Scrutinizer
    You can either:
    A) post the power tab file (which is nice for those who have power tab, cause ya can hear it as well as see it)>
    B) Post the file as a jpg.
    To do this you need to go to Section in power tab. Click on it and it'll drop down a list of options. What you want is at the bottom say Output as Bitmap. It'll will out put only one section at a time. That being the one your mouse is sittting on (well to blue line thing).
    It'll give option to save it as a file or save to clipboard.
    I usually save it as a file.
    This should give u a bitmap off your section.
    Now u need to open it in sum picture program (I think I use ACD) and convert it to jpg. Ususally when u click it save it'll ask save as and if u gotta bitmap that should be the default so you'll need to scroll to find Jpg. Save it as that and u should be set.
    I usually use ACD (I think) to edit it (cut of the extra black aera with no music). Not sure if that'd show that way on a post or not, but it does trim the file down a bit.

Then u can delete your orginal bitmap, unless u wanna keep it, cause now you'll have both a bitmap and jpg of the same thing. Just saves ya bit of space after a while when you got tons of em floating round.

Hope that made sense.
    Play round with it a bit it'll make more sense hands on, and ya''ll probably pull your hair out a few times before u get it how ya want it.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam

Central Scrutinizer
    I should add, posting it as a jpg is useful for those who don't have power tab cause even though they can't hear it, least they can see it.

SRV rocks BTW
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the correct one." William of Occam