Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: is 21+ too late to become a conservatory student?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question is 21+ too late to become a conservatory student?

Hello everyone!

I recently quit my English studies and now I think becoming a conservatory student is the only thing that will make me truly happy.
    I haven't told my teacher about this yet, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter first, before I go and embarrass myself.
    Do you think it is still possible to become a conservatory student at the age of 21+?

Though I don't play well enough yet, I want my teacher to help me achieve the necessary level of competence.
    What I want most right now is her approval, encouragement, and guidance. So I can start working towards this goal of mine.
    But at the same time I'm not sure if I have the potential in the first place.

Needless to say, I will need to tell my teacher about my aspiration, I want her to be my mentor.
    Passing the entrance audition definitely isn't something I can achieve on my own.

I have been studying with this music instructor for a little over a year now. And I've made a lot of progress since. She's the best teacher I have ever had.

However, we've never discussed this topic before. And frankly, I don't have to courage to bring it up yet. I don't want to be audacious and overestimate myself.

You see, my teacher is the kind of person who never sugarcoats anything. I am afraid that she will think that I'm in over my head.
    I will be severely disappointed if she thinks my dream is unachievable and doesn't want to help me.

Moreover, I don't even know how to bring this topic up.

As you may or may not know : what is said cannot be unsaid. Once I make this announcement, there's no going back.
    Will I still enjoy her lessons week after week, if she thinks my wish is but a silly, unattainable dream?

On the one hand, there's this nagging voice in my head, constantly telling me I'm not good enough, won't become good enough, and it's too late.
    But on the other hand, I want to spend all my time working towards this goal, and achieve it.

You'll never know if you don't try.
    Give it a shot!

If you want this badly enough you will have to do whatever it takes. The end justifies the means.

It sounds like your not 100% committed!

Your instructor is better qualified to answer your question than any of us. Plus will know what is going to be needed for you to reach your goal. As to being 21. That just means you will be a little older than most of the class. Sure it'll be harder, you've got responsibilities younger students will not have.

Suck it up and ask your instructor.

Even if you were 70 or 80, it would be a good time to learn.

I would say: how much money would you make as a guitar professional? How much is the cost? The cost includes how much you could be making otherwise/what you could have done with your time that you spend practicing/etc. Will if feed your family/keep you off the streets? I'd consider those things, too.

Make sure you've counted the cost before you jump in.