Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: I dont even know if this is the right thread.

I dont even know if this is the right thread.

I'm positing this here because I dont see how it fits anywhere else.
    im a new poster, and a new musician. But its not me that needs help.
    My singer is a good singer...we play semi hard rock like alternative style
    so we get heavy sometimes...when we are playing at home in a normal sound range shes a great singer...when we go to the studio, when ever things get so loud we cant hear ourselves think...which I think is pretty normal in a studio to play over the drummer she goes flat terribly...we couldn't hear it at the time but we recorded it and we heard it later.

Now if theres any singers out there I need some advice...is it because she cannot hear her own voice that she goes flat? or is it the band thats playing too low of a range for her to sing in? I dont think its the second because she could sing an octave above, so are there any fixes? Raise the PA volume really high? Get the singer a pair of earmuffs to block out the sound etc any advice would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead92797 View Post
    I'm positing this here because I dont see how it fits anywhere else.
    im a new poster, and a new musician. But its not me that needs help.
    My singer is a good singer...we play semi hard rock like alternative style
    so we get heavy sometimes...when we are playing at home in a normal sound range shes a great singer...when we go to the studio, when ever things get so loud we cant hear ourselves think...which I think is pretty normal in a studio to play over the drummer she goes flat terribly...we couldn't hear it at the time but we recorded it and we heard it later.

Now if theres any singers out there I need some advice...is it because she cannot hear her own voice that she goes flat? or is it the band thats playing too low of a range for her to sing in? I dont think its the second because she could sing an octave above, so are there any fixes? Raise the PA volume really high? Get the singer a pair of earmuffs to block out the sound etc any advice would be appreciated
    PLAY QUIETER...

Certainly if you're all playing "so loud we cant hear ourselves think", you ALL need ear protectors or ear plugs to preserve your hearing. Your ears are your most precious posession as a musician. You can insult your body and brain with as many recreational drugs as you like (), but don't fool with your ears: once damaged, they don't recover.

And then you may think "hey if we've all got ear plugs, why don't we just play quieter without the ear plugs? It will sound the same..."

I guess you're talking about a rehearsal studio, where you're all playing together in the same space. (Rather than a recording studio, where drums and singer will each be in their own sound booth.)
    Definitely the singer has to be able to hear herself, somehow. Ear muffs will protect her hearing to some extent, but probably won't help her get in tune (unless it helps her hear her voice through her head, which it might).
    Headphones attached to the PA (that her mic is in) is probably the best idea, if there's a headphone/monitor output, and if its volume can be controlled. She can have that any level she likes, and she should still hear the rest of you (from outside the cans) enough to tune in. If not, you can always mic up one of the guitars to give her a direct signal in her cans that she can tune to.

It's possible, if she's not used to singing at rock levels, she might need to do some vocal exercises at that volume, because vocal intonation can change the more power you put into it. (Eg, it's easier to sing higher when singing louder, and harder to sing lower; so other pitches may need to be consciously controlled, in a way she's used to doing instinctively at normal volumes.)

Seriously though, for all kinds of reasons, I suggest notching the overall volume back a bit. Do the drums really need to have their maximum dynamic level available? Just for rehearsal? It's important the drummer is not unduly inhibited in order to suit the singer, but perhaps he could use lighter sticks? (Good drummers can play with intensity and impact at less than maximum volume.)

If you really mean a recording studio, then I hope the solution is obvious...
    Last edited by JonR; 12-09-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Totally agree with Jon. The headphones mix for a singer is very important. Too loud and she's go out, too quiet and she'll go out, too much reverb and she'll go out, too dry and she'll probably get a bit timid.

First time I sat in with a Metal band I finally realized why the vocalist in a Metal band screamed their lines. What ever happened to augmenting the vocalist's efforts?

There's a trick....I know sometimes it's difficult to play quieter with a drummer in the same room.

Have you ever seen videos of live shows where, sometimes, the singer puts a finger in one ear?
    Well, that's a way to ear their own voice accurately. Make her give it a try, if you can't play quieter.

Try turning down the sound a little if possible, or get her a pair of earmuffs that don't completely block out the sound, just tone it down a little. I would ask her first though if she feels like the song is within her range.