Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Is There a Real-Time Music Reading Software?

Is There a Real-Time Music Reading Software?

I would love to have a software that plays the real recording of a song, anything from classical renditions of Bach to Tom Waits, while moving forward in a linear fashion with a properly notated copy of the sheet music complete with the melody and any other important parts (think Pro Tools except moving forward through a piece of music instead of a waveform). Does something like this already exist? Are there some other interesting ear training software out there that would be similar to what I'm describing? Thanks for your time, everyone, as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by zedrein View Post
    I would love to have a software that plays the real recording of a song, anything from classical renditions of Bach to Tom Waits, while moving forward in a linear fashion with a properly notated copy of the sheet music complete with the melody and any other important parts (think Pro Tools except moving forward through a piece of music instead of a waveform). Does something like this already exist? Are there some other interesting ear training software out there that would be similar to what I'm describing? Thanks for your time, everyone, as usual!
    It would take a lot of human planning and organising to set that up - linking real audio to notation couldn't be automatic.
    But there must be MIDI versions of many classical pieces (at least) that would perform the same function. You'd only need a sequencer that displayed notation (such as Sibelius or Finale). You'd miss the natural sound of real instruments, and the subtlety of real musicians performing, but it would do the job you're asking.
    Furthermore, you'd easily be able to isolate various parts, or change the tempo or the key, or whatever.

A quick google reveals free MIDI files of Beethoven, eg:
    http://www.kunstderfuge.com/beethoven.htm

And Sibelius has a read-only offshoot known as Scorch, a lot cheaper than the full software (enables you to change the key of the playback, but no other editing AFAIK).
    And I just found this too:
    http://www.midiillustrator.com/

As I say, I think the MIDI route will be your best bet. There is nothing anywhere near reliable enough to track audio files automatically and "read" them as notation. Unless you want to play someone to design an animation for you...
    (Don't trust "audio to MIDI" converters. IME, they can only work with very simple input, and always need substantial editing later. Certainly no good if learning to read correct notation - properly designed as well as note-perfect - is your goal!)

Quote Originally Posted by zedrein View Post
    You might want to take a look a this youtube channel too:
    http://www.youtube.com/smalin

Most of his videos don't contain notation but rather a kind of animated representation of the different voices in a recording.

However this video does contain both:
    http://www.youtube.com/smalin#p/c/DF.../0/m-XFZmsHNyk