Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo-Classical Shred Article

Neo-Classical Shred Article

Hey Eric, great job I love the new article. Good as always.

One thing though, can you post all 7 positions 3NPS scales for the melodic as well as the harmonic minor scale so it could save some of us some time from working them out ourselves.

Apart from that, perfect work. It got a 10 from me.

Mod
    Definatly awesome, I've got alot to work on

Really great article Eric....

Anyone got any more simple Malmsteen type chord progressions?
    Or maybe some more info on the usage of the scales in the article?

Thanks again, great article!!!

Yep, ive got no complaints to do on this article its all god damn good!!

I know some people in here are demanding some extra info on the article, but if you have the time and only if, it would be interesting to hear a sample of the solo you made up in the article. I was expecting a sound file with it but it aint there, at least i think so ! hehe (if it is there please kick my butt)

Even if you dont post a sound file thx a lot for your time and the effort you put in all those great articles! Thx Eric!

It is not that hard to figure these out!

One thing though, can you post all 7 positions 3NPS scales for the melodic as well as the harmonic minor scale so it could save some of us some time from working them out ourselves.
    Melodic Minor
    2 ways to create this scale by changing 1 note.
    From the root of a major scale, flat the third.
    In C Major---- Eb.
    From the root of a Dorian Scale raise the 7th.
    In D Dorian Raise C to C#.

Harmonic Minor
    Start on 6th of Major scale to play the Aeolian or Natural Minor, then raise the seventh tone (of the natural minor) 1/2 step.
    C Major --- start on 6th degree (A) .
    A Aeolian (Natural Minor) raise G to G#.
    Last edited by szulc; 08-08-2003 at 01:27 AM.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Thanks Szulc I'm fully aware of the differences, I just wanted to see if Eric could save us some time by slightly modifying the scale diagrams from the 3NPS article to suit the melodic and harmonic minor scales. I'd just like to have a copy of those scale diagrams around.

Hey yeh a recording of the solo at the end would've been nice, but you get a good idea of what it sounds like through the ptb file so its no major thing.

Cheers Eric again for such a quality article, this one in paticular is clearly very well structured, layed out and explained - you've obviously taken a lot of time with it, so thank you very much!

From JGuitar
    Anyone got any more simple Malmsteen type chord progressions?
    Well i have a couple of really good Malmsteen techniques and styles article type things which include many of his scales, peices from his songs, and also chord progressions. I'll happilly send em to you (or anyone else that wants em!), just send me a message with your email address.

P.S Eric have you ever thought of writing your own book? You know your own technique etc book like i dunno, guthrie govans'? Your articles are all so well explained and set out, i think you'd be able to put together a cracker of a book....

Malmsteen Progressions

Malmsteen studied BACH and PAGANINNI.
    These guys use pretty standard Classical (Baroque Period) type Cadences. The common ones are usually Cycle 4 or Cycle 5. So you see a lot of i - V, V - i, i - iv, vi - i. They also used diatonic Cycle 4 a great deal, i - iv - VII - III - VI - iio - V7. Notice this uses all of the chords in A Natural Minor but the v, which is borrowed from the HM.
    Hidden Content

Self Motivation

I just wanted to see if Eric could save us some time by slightly modifying the scale diagrams from the 3NPS article to suit the melodic and harmonic minor scales. I'd just like to have a copy of those scale diagrams around.
    I suspect Eric is a busy guy!
    Eric is pretty generous writing the articles he writes. He likely doesn't have the time to do these types of things.
    I also suspect he wants to motivate those of you who actually care enough about this stuff to make your own diagrams.

Those of us who contribute regularly to this site are GIVING away a lot of good material, but the purpose is to encourage those who care enough to explore the ideas and do some work on their own, it not really is going to help most people to have yet another set of scale patterns to look at unless they internalize it and work with it. The odds are those who CARE ENOUGH will have sufficent information to create patterns for their own use.
    Eric or any of the rest of us can only do so much to help, and if we are doing everything for you won't do anything for your self, so in the end you are not benefitting from this.

You are here, that means you care enough to come and read these articles and forums....

If you have a MAC use MacPaint if you Have a Windows PC use Paint. Turn on the grid and use block or round style paint brush.
    Better yet use powertab and get tab with staff.
    Hidden Content

Ok ok, forget I ever said anything. I assumed it would be way easier for him to quickly make a few changes as opposed to every one of us having to work it out an do it ourselves. Ok ok, whatever it was just a stupid suggestion, sorry for mentioning it.

Please don't accuse me of "not caring", I very very much do. I wanted the patterns just for reference and can work them out quite easily myself but it was just a suggestion for some of the other people who weren't to sure so they would be able to benefit as well.

Rather than make new diagrams I suspect eric has the origional diagrams and were easy to change just one note, but hey if it's that much trouble don't worry about it. I just would have liked to have the scales in the format that you had the others in the 3NPS scale article, but no worries.

And Eric man, sorry to disturb you man, you're doing a great job.
    Last edited by Shred Fan; 08-08-2003 at 11:24 AM.

Hey guys,
    sorry for not responding to this any sooner. Iīm caught up with a lot of stuff currently, and as many of you might have noticed, I donīt hang out or post as ibreathe as much as I used to.
    That is simply because thereīs just too much stuff going on... preparing gigs, recording, trying to write another article, teaching, and a bit of social life.

OK, first of all, thanks James. You are definitely right. As much as Iīd like to provide more material etc., itīs simply not possible these days. I just canīt set aside as much time for online activities as I did throughout the first year of ibreathe.
    I wish I could, but at the same time, I am glad thereīs so much else to do. I am not saying that it will stay like this, but at least till October, Iīll be quite busy.
    And James also is right when he says that our intention is to motivate you guys even more. Thatīs what my first guitar teacher used to do... he was quite busy, and had a lot of students, so whenever we hooked up for a lesson, I tried to get a lot of new ideas and exercises out of that, and then I spent the time until the next lesson by taking what I had learned and exploring it even further.
    None of the articles I have written is covering the respective topic completely... I always try to introduce something and try to open doors, so whoever is interest can delve into it further.
    And as I said, just like the other contributors ( Guni, Clive, James etc. ) there are times when there ainīt enough time to respond to all requests etc.
    Thanks a lot.

Shaman... I have thought writing a book or a complete method, and maybe one day Iīll get to do that, but right now, thereīs too much going on, and I would have to look into how to distribute it etc. Maybe one day some publisher might show some interest, who knows... also, there already is so much good stuff out there, I donīt know whether the world needs another shred-tutorial or anything Iīd write...thanks a lot, though !

Also, thanks for all the nice feedback on the article. I am really glad you guys like it ! It was thrown together in a rush, and I am glad it still makes sense to some of you !
    Warm regards
    Eric

Yeah no worries Eric, I completely understand. What you do for us is more than enough anyway.

Anyways, I took a little initiative and did it myself. For those interested, I tabbed up the Harmonic Minor Scale Patterns and you can get there here.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...3450#post13450

Posting Rights Suspended Anubis's Avatar
    I agree with the others. Great article.
    It covered a lot of what people need to know about neo-classical and I like the fact that Eric defends Yngwie against all the bashing against him.
    For example look at the G3 tour this year.
    At many guitar forums people write things such as "Yngwie on G3? that sucks !!"
    Things like that really pisses me off because I really can't see anyone fit better on a guitar tour such as G3 as the man who really took guitar playing to a new level and started the instrumental record and neo-classical trend in the 80's.
    His first album created a shock when it came which is something many people seem to have forgot.
    I was born in 1970 so I was a teenager back then and remember it very well.

Regarding neo-classical.
    Any shred fans should download this cool powertab file.
    It is a neo-classical piece that once appeared in Guitar World Magazine in the 80's.
    A very cool piece of music.

http://www.powertabs.net/pta_search.php?page=song,3445
    Last edited by Anubis; 08-21-2003 at 05:13 PM.

Anubis, very cool. I think I remember that song... wasnīt it part of some "metal primer", in a mag with Zakk Wylde on the cover ? I was recently browsing through my old guitar mags, and I think I saw it in there.

Regarding Yngwie being part of G3...

I agree, thatīs appropiate. First of all, Yngwie has a way different style than Joe and Steve, so people in the audienceīll definitely get their moneys worth...
    Also, as you said... Yngwie is one of the most influential guitarists. So its appropiate, cuz Iīd say Joe and Satch are too.
    I mean, Yngwie released "Rising Force" and basically defined "neoclassical shred", and then Joe released "Not Of this Earth", which had some insane stuff but with different songwriting and more legato-stuff.
    Steve Vai, at the same time, blew people away with the solos he played for David Lee Roth. Then, Satch released "Surfing..." and it was pretty much a hit-record. Great mix of technique and songwriting. And I think "Passion & Warfare" by Vai was a masterwork, too.
    So... three extremely influential guys on tour together. I also heard people go "Man, Yngwie will blow them off the stage" or "Itīs gonna be wank-fest".
    Hmmm... first of all, I think that is one of the fun-parts about G3... seeing those guys jam together at the end, but not like a battle, but like "Guys, check this out, this is MY trickbag..." etc.
    Each one of them has their own style, and I think they are mature enough to avoid any real speed-contest. Instead, Iīm sure itīs gonna be fun to see three awesome players jam and have fun.
    Eric

It's just too bad that they can't make a "G4" this year... John Petrucci has a very unique style even to this day